Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,707,830 times

Advertisements

MLB Team In Orlando? - Video - WFTV Orlando (http://www.wftv.com/video/22320095/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 PM

200 posts, read 538,948 times
Rumor of Brewers' relocation 'ridiculous' | MLB.com: News The Brewers? Eh. I am surprised the Marlins are still in Miami, I thought attendance was low there.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,947,764 times
Orlando can't support a baseball team. Plain and simple. Unless the Yankees or the Red Sox moved to Orlando (ICK!), they wouldn't have the fans to fill the stands.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Orlando can't support a baseball team. Plain and simple. Unless the Yankees or the Red Sox moved to Orlando (ICK!), they wouldn't have the fans to fill the stands.
thats your opinion. you seem to find a negative about everything i post lol

Old 01-23-2010, 09:17 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,947,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
thats your opinion. you seem to find a negative about everything i post lol

No, seriously. If you talked about how much fun Disney can be, or how clean downtown is, or how nice our winters are, I'll agree with you all day. If you are asking if Orlando can support a baseball team, I'd have to say no.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
No, seriously. If you talked about how much fun Disney can be, or how clean downtown is, or how nice our winters are, I'll agree with you all day. If you are asking if Orlando can support a baseball team, I'd have to say no.
thats fine but thats your opinion, we support a basketball team fine. We have a large latin population and most of them i know love baseball along with the white folks

Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,901,752 times
The one and only team I could imagine moving to Orlando would be the Rays or maybe Oakland the only other team lacking a true baseball park.The Marlins amazingly are getting one built,which is probably a huge mistake.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,353,116 times
I don't believe this is that far fetched of an idea. I think Orlando could support baseball if it's placed in the right area and built to the proper capacity. Although I have always been an advocate of putting most local use facilities downtown, I think a stadium on I-Drive could have a really good good chance of succeeding if it's a 40k-50K facility. The broad appeal of baseball just lends itself to success. The Marlins low turnout now is likely due to the location. Traveling to middle of Broward is no big deal once a week for a Fins or Canes game but multiple times a week is a hard sell. On top of that Broward is mostly Carribean whereas Dade is more Latin with a demographic that has strong roots in baseball. I would not be surprised to see the Marlins do much better after their relocation. For similar reason, I think a MLB on the southside of town would have a pretty good chance of succeeding.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:25 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,901,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I don't believe this is that far fetched of an idea. I think Orlando could support baseball if it's placed in the right area and built to the proper capacity. Although I have always been an advocate of putting most local use facilities downtown, I think a stadium on I-Drive could have a really good good chance of succeeding if it's a 40k-50K facility. The broad appeal of baseball just lends itself to success. The Marlins low turnout now is likely due to the location. Traveling to middle of Broward is no big deal once a week for a Fins or Canes game but multiple times a week is a hard sell. On top of that Broward is mostly Carribean whereas Dade is more Latin with a demographic that has strong roots in baseball. I would not be surprised to see the Marlins do much better after their relocation. For similar reason, I think a MLB on the southside of town would have a pretty good chance of succeeding.
The Marlins current stadium (Landshark or whatever they're calling it today) is actually located just south of the Broward county line in Miami Dade county.After years of listening to South Florida sports talk the one point that was always made is that more people from Broward and Palm Beach county turn out for the games in Landshark Stadium than from Miami Dade.Sure with the stadium further south in Dade more people from Dade will turn out but what will happen to those loyal fans from Broward and Palm Beach,will they still keep coming out.The point is that people in Miami Dade for whatever reason are not as solid a fan base as the ones up north.Also western Broward is full of hispanics,usually with families which are pretty solid fans,are they going to drive to Little Havana.Another issue is the new stadium site does not have access to the Metrorail.To get to the American Airlines Arena for a Heat game I can drop my car off at the station by Dadeland mall in Kendall and take the Metrorail and Metromover all the way to the Arena,no such luck for this baseball stadium,maybe in the future a line will go there but I haven't heard of anything in the near future.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,581,357 times
As an avid Marlins fan the reason the fans don't turn out has been one of player retention especially after both World Series wins. Trading off your favorite players after 2 championships has made us livid & unsupportive. Why support a team that sells off its stars? There is a huge potential for a solid fan base if management would get its act together.
Secondly playing in a open air football stadium isn't exactly baseball friendly. I have attended quite a few games but the fans are so far away from the field. Then you have to deal with rain which is a sure thing every afternoon & evening in south Florida during the summer.
The new stadium will have a retractable roof but as far as the fans from Broward & Palm Beach counties coming down to Miami remains to be seen. However Broward fans do come to see the Miami Heat play downtown so I don't see why this should be a major issue. Metrorail is about 10 blocks away and they used shuttle buses during the football games played at the Orange Bowl.
As for Orlando getting MLB? I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando