Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Orlando and other local cities have a summer league team and we go to those games sometimes. Basball is pretty big over here. there are little league teams in almost every communtiy that are very popular and it's pretty big in the high school level here too. My friend who is only a senior in HS already got a million dollar contract to play in the MLB
he musta been a decent draft pick to get a good contract... obviously he will have to see if he actually GETS to the MLB first
but ...a million to just play in the minors and hopefully gets to the majors is nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Orlando and other local cities have a summer league team and we go to those games sometimes. Basball is pretty big over here. there are little league teams in almost every communtiy that are very popular and it's pretty big in the high school level here too. My friend who is only a senior in HS already got a million dollar contract to play in the MLB
I also think Apopka won the little league world series in 2001 didnt it?

I think a baseball team would be good for Orlando as it could pump millions into a local economy thats in a depression. A location in South Orlando, East Orlando or Kissimmee would be great.

A lot of hispanics as well as whites in these areas love baseball. I would attend a few games if I was lucky enough to get tickets to them. I've been to several Magic games, but I've never been to an MLB game. Even though Basketball is my sport it would be fun

I say bring on the major leagues. And to Com, if we can support an NBA team for 20 years, we could certainly support a MLB team. And even if 1/3 of the seats sold at Amway arena are bought by Celtics or Knicks fans (the northest is always your example isn't it? lol) What keeps the team here is the fact that seats are sold at all.

They go by ticket sales, not which fans show up. And as far as their being a lot of fans of other teams that show up at games I dont think thats true

The last NBA game I went to at Amway arena was almost entirely Magic fans. They played the New York Knicks actually and I saw maybe 4 knicks fans the whole game. The rest was blue and white! BLUW AND WHITE IGNITE BABY!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The last NBA game I went to at Amway arena was almost entirely Magic fans. They played the New York Knicks actually and I saw maybe 4 knicks fans the whole game. The rest was blue and white! BLUW AND WHITE IGNITE BABY!
the knicks are terrible Not as bad as the Nets.. but terrible.

If they had a baseball team, think of how Tampa is when the Sox or Yanks are in town... LOTS of fans from the other areas

Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
the knicks are terrible Not as bad as the Nets.. but terrible.

If they had a baseball team, think of how Tampa is when the Sox or Yanks are in town... LOTS of fans from the other areas
True but despite the Knicks being awful a lot of New Yorkers are still Knicks fans. My dad said the Knicks are still more famous then the Orlando Magic. He said foreign people know who the New York Knicks are but have no clue who the Orlando Magic are or that Orlando itself even exists. "People know New York, not Orlando, and they shouldn't know Orlando because it sucks" My dad says

Lots of Yankees and Red Sox fans here too. Despite me being from Connecticut I'm a Yankees fan. I'm a Patriots fan at the same time though. Im from CT I have that right.

Either way regardless of which fans show up to support which team the point is that tickets are being sold, therefore money is being made

Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
True but despite the Knicks being awful a lot of New Yorkers are still Knicks fans. My dad said the Knicks are still more famous then the Orlando Magic. He said foreign people know who the New York Knicks are but have no clue who the Orlando Magic are or that Orlando itself even exists. "People know New York, not Orlando, and they shouldn't know Orlando because it sucks" My dad says

Lots of Yankees and Red Sox fans here too. Despite me being from Connecticut I'm a Yankees fan. I'm a Patriots fan at the same time though. Im from CT I have that right.

Either way regardless of which fans show up to support which team the point is that tickets are being sold, therefore money is being made
Wow... your dad HATES Orlando, lol.

Its fairly normal for a CT person to be a Yanks fan, but to be a pats fan too, is a bit odd

Im a Mets/Jets fan ...

Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
Wow... your dad HATES Orlando, lol.

Its fairly normal for a CT person to be a Yanks fan, but to be a pats fan too, is a bit odd

Im a Mets/Jets fan ...
My dad has always hated Orlando and FLA as a whole and he wants to go back to CT in the worst way. I was born in CT and I like the state itself I hated living there. The people, the lack of jobs even when the economy was booming, the crummy weather (summer being the exception)

i do like the jets more then the giants (should be obvious why i dont like the giants)

I have no problems with the Mets either. Basketball is my sport like I said. I really dont have any sports teams I truly hate. Though some come close. The Lakers (obvious why) The Giants, The Red Sox, The Pistons, The Saints.

Maybe I am a pretty hateful guy

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
I know people won't want to hear this but I would be extremely surprised if Orlando supported a MLB team. Orlando just isn't a big sports town, even less than the Tampa area. College football is king around here and the population of the Orlando metro area is just over 2 million whereas the Tampa metro area has 3.9million. What in the world would make anyone think it will do better here? We would be better off tryng to get an NFL team like Jacksonville Jags and building a dome. As for baseball it will not work in Orlando or any other city in the South for that matter. Look at the attendance rates for Atlanta, Miami, and St.Pete. In this area, baseball will always take a backseat to football and Nascar.

Last edited by rogercobb; 01-25-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 PM

200 posts, read 538,379 times
It's too bad the MLS league is so small. Soccer should do well here, too, considering all the Latinos and Europeans here. I don't know why it didn't work in Miami.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,422 times
As to Oakland, they are on a short lease with the Coliseum . In three years they have no home. My guess is it will be in San Jose, but I think Las Vegas is a long shot possibility. ( 25-1 odds , I'll place a $100 bet and see what happens in Vegas. )

Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
The only way Orlando could support a baseball team is if either the Marlins or Rays move to Orlando.

I think Orlando with all the tourist in town would do better then either the Rays and Marlins in attendance.

I do not see it happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando