Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM

457 posts, read 627,627 times

Advertisements

I have several neighbors who have sheriff cars in the driveway every night...with other cars behind them...blocking the sidewalks.

If the sheriffs can do do it, you certainly ought to be able to.

If I were going to court, I'd take pics of all the cops and sheriffs who do it with me and explain that having seen them do it, I figured it was legal.

If you drive around Orlando, you will find plenty of pictures of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
I have several neighbors who have sheriff cars in the driveway every night...with other cars behind them...blocking the sidewalks.

If I were going to court, I'd take pics of all the cops and sheriffs who do it with me and explain that having seen them do it, I figured it was legal.

If you drive around Orlando, you will find plenty of pictures of this.
And the judge will say, "Two wrongs don't make a right."

Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,037,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
Ha ha. That's a good punchline, but why did it come in the middle of your joke?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM

511 posts, read 855,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wouldn't hurt to point out the hypocrisy though..

Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 PM

457 posts, read 627,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Or he might say, "Yeah, I can see how all the cops doing it might make you think it wasn't illegal," and not fine you.

I didn't know until I saw this thread that it was illegal. Since so many people, including many officers of the law, do it, I thought it was fine. Never gave it a second thought.

Unlike so many Floridians, I use the garage to store my car, lawn mower, chemicals, gas and various tools. I do my laundry indoors and put things that don't fit in the house into storage. It is the general habit where I come from and I'm sticking with it. So I'm not blocking the sidewalks. But I also am not up in arms over other people doing it. I have bigger problems in my life and just don't care about how other people park.

I keep my garbage can in the garage, too. I notice many people have them outdoors. Am I breaking a law there?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
No, you aren't breaking a law keeping the garbage in the garage--I do so as well. I also keep everything else in there like you do except one car, because we have four and only a three car garage. But the one in the driveway is in the driveway and not blocking the sidewalk. Unfortunately many in this area don't seem to have the same ideas on what curb appeal is. It puzzles me to see washers and dryers, water heaters, lawnmowers, etc. in the yard instead of inside. (I refuse to have so much stuff that I need a storage unit. I try to sell, give away, or throw away two things for every one thing brought into this house.)

The laws about blocking sidewalks are clearly stated in the FL drivers manual.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,581 times
I dont have an HOA where I live and a cop just came by and gave everyone a 30 dollar ticket...no warnings. for blocking the sidewalk. I have lived here for 9 years and this is the first time?! I see this everywhere, so how do they decide where and when to inforce this? When the budget is short? When the people in the area make the police mad because we ask them to actually do their job?!

Last edited by justice4chickasaw; 04-23-2012 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: wanted to make more clear

Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,037,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justice4chickasaw View Post
I dont have an HOA where I live and a cop just came by and gave everyone a 30 dollar ticket...no warnings. for blocking the sidewalk.
Good.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM

334 posts, read 1,152,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justice4chickasaw View Post
I dont have an HOA where I live and a cop just came by and gave everyone a 30 dollar ticket...no warnings. for blocking the sidewalk. I have lived here for 9 years and this is the first time?! I see this everywhere, so how do they decide where and when to inforce this? When the budget is short? When the people in the area make the police mad because we ask them to actually do their job?!
Not blocking the sidewalk is the law everywhere I've ever lived. If people hadn't broken the law, they wouldn't have gotten tickets.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
Default sidewalk accessibility

american disability act prohibits blocking the sidewalks(ex.cars parked across the sidewalk)..HOA's legally can't trump this national law they may think they can but courts will not allow them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando