Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,738,439 times

Advertisements

Oregon comes from an Assinoboine word, "ouricon", which means, "the place with all the salmon." The eastern pronunciation of Oregon is closest to the original word, just like the southern pronunciation of oil, "ol," is the closest to the original Latin.

If they can't pronounce Willamette, try them on Clatskanie or Langlois. Or just to illustrate how inconsistent Oregonians are, try them on Irrigon.

I love local pronunciations. There are some really big gotchas in Oregon, like Buena Vista or Heceta, neither of which use the Spanish pronunciation. Been to Champoeg Park lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 04:17 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,867,242 times
Aloha, Oregon is another one.

"a-LOW-a" with the a short.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,464,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oregon comes from an Assinoboine word, "ouricon", which means, "the place with all the salmon." The eastern pronunciation of Oregon is closest to the original word, just like the southern pronunciation of oil, "ol," is the closest to the original Latin.
Where did you get that from? Last I was aware the exact origin of the name was unknown, but could be traced to several possible sources.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:37 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,489,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Or just to illustrate how inconsistent Oregonians are, try them on Irrigon.
I live not far from Irrigon. People I have heard, from the Umatilla/Hermiston area, pronounce it so much like 'Oregon' (the Oregon way of saying it, we all know it) that if you missed the initial vowel you couldn't tell if they meant the little town along the Columbia or the state itself.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:19 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,980,597 times
Here in Philadelphia we pronounce it the wrong way - or-a-gone; I know this is wrong because I was fortunate enough to actually vacation in your outstandingly beautiful state. Now here in Philly one of our major thoroughfares is Oregon Ave - an important boulevard on the south side that contains major shops and shopping centers and restaurants - including the famous Tony Luke's which is place most of us Philly people say has the best cheesesteak sandwiches in the world (forget the hype about Pat's or Geno's - that's for tourists).

Old 12-25-2010, 01:35 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,209,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I live not far from Irrigon. People I have heard, from the Umatilla/Hermiston area, pronounce it so much like 'Oregon' (the Oregon way of saying it, we all know it) that if you missed the initial vowel you couldn't tell if they meant the little town along the Columbia or the state itself.
Yup. That's how I heard it when I used to work in Umathrilla, uh, Umatilla.

Ear-again. Or Ear-a-gun.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Here in Philadelphia we pronounce it the wrong way - or-a-gone; I know this is wrong because I was fortunate enough to actually vacation in your outstandingly beautiful state. Now here in Philly one of our major thoroughfares is Oregon Ave - an important boulevard on the south side that contains major shops and shopping centers and restaurants - including the famous Tony Luke's which is place most of us Philly people say has the best cheesesteak sandwiches in the world (forget the hype about Pat's or Geno's - that's for tourists).
Philly gets pardoned on account of the general wonders of what people from its region can do with assorted pig leftovers. I have a buddy from there--in fact, I bought him some 1950s Phils baseball cards for Christmas--who regularly brings me Taylor pork roll, scrapple and Lebanon baloney from there. So if Philly wants to butcher the state's name, I can't correct them with my mouth full.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Yup. That's how I heard it when I used to work in Umathrilla, uh, Umatilla.

Ear-again. Or Ear-a-gun.
Heh, Umathrilla! Well, it would have been thrilling if one of the earthen bunkers had leaked...

Old 12-25-2010, 03:53 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,209,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Heh, Umathrilla! Well, it would have been thrilling if one of the earthen bunkers had leaked...
Yep. We had our leak plan in place...it involved some bending over, kissing, and lots of crying. We felt much better after we got our emergency packages of duct tape and plastic sheeting.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:23 PM

90 posts, read 235,950 times
it was explained to me; "Do you want a knife, or a gun?" Tigard was interesting, since where I'm from there's a Sigard, which is said; Sig-urd (rhymes with sick bird). But Tigard is Ty-gurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon