Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times

Advertisements

I am an elementary school teacher who moved to Oregon last July. I was able to get my initial teaching license with a transfer from Colorado, but I am up for renewal next spring. I have to take the ORELA test and I'm wondering if anyone has any good study advice or tips. Currently I am not working, so I haven't been using my skills on a daily basis (ie. I'm worried I am a little rusty with certain subjects, esp. math). I plan to start subbing again, but probably won't get jobs until after the test date in October. I've searched the web, but have only been able to find the study guide the ORELA website offers. I took the Praxis II test in Colorado several years ago. I really hate tests! Any advice, comparisons to other standardized licensing tests, or the like would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,390 times
Hi - I'm not a teacher but I'm bored & awake, so I'll try to help you!

If you didn't already google for links, here you go:
ORELA MSE Study Guide (http://www.orela.nesinc.com/OR_multiplesubjectsSG_opener.asp - broken link)

Here's the overall search that may fulfill your answers:
Let me google that for you

I can't post all the links - some of the search results may conflict since forums are involved.

IF it's a pass/fail thing where you have to pass a percentage, that is ideal. Then you just tally as you go, the ones you think you didn't pass, & then you know when you're done what the likelihood is.

I did that with a board exam (different field) & I was right that I passed. When I went home & went over my study materials, I saw that I had many right that I wasn't sure about, so my passing score was higher than I expected.

I took a different exam (in yet another field) that used a nonsensical assessment & passed. Luckily the results were immediate so I didn't have to sweat it.

Some courses have questions that seem directly lifted from the exams: a wonderful resource indeed. I had that luck in both exams mentioned.

I'm sure you'll do well!

Kate

Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Hi - I'm not a teacher but I'm bored & awake, so I'll try to help you!

If you didn't already google for links, here you go:
ORELA MSE Study Guide (http://www.orela.nesinc.com/OR_multiplesubjectsSG_opener.asp - broken link)

Here's the overall search that may fulfill your answers:
Let me google that for you

I can't post all the links - some of the search results may conflict since forums are involved.

IF it's a pass/fail thing where you have to pass a percentage, that is ideal. Then you just tally as you go, the ones you think you didn't pass, & then you know when you're done what the likelihood is.

I did that with a board exam (different field) & I was right that I passed. When I went home & went over my study materials, I saw that I had many right that I wasn't sure about, so my passing score was higher than I expected.

I took a different exam (in yet another field) that used a nonsensical assessment & passed. Luckily the results were immediate so I didn't have to sweat it.

Some courses have questions that seem directly lifted from the exams: a wonderful resource indeed. I had that luck in both exams mentioned.

I'm sure you'll do well!

Kate
Thanks Kate for your help, but I already have the study guide produced by ORELA. I was hoping there was something else as well, or advice from someone who has taken the test. I have googled extensively the test and I only come up with the guide created by the ORELA examiners. When I took the Praxis test, there were numerous study guides available through different companies. So far, I haven't found anything for the ORELA.

THanks again for trying to help.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,390 times
Lightbulb try looking at the

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Thanks Kate for your help, but I already have the study guide produced by ORELA. I was hoping there was something else as well, or advice from someone who has taken the test. I have googled extensively the test and I only come up with the guide created by the ORELA examiners. When I took the Praxis test, there were numerous study guides available through different companies. So far, I haven't found anything for the ORELA.

THanks again for trying to help.

the a to z teacher stuff website which has good hints. it's a forum so i thought the link would be deleted if i put it here. there are multiple threads there.

since the test materials are closely guarded, the threads are a bit veiled. i saw info i think you would value.

kate

Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,592 times
Hi Delta07! You could try contacting the teacher's union (Oregon Education Association) local Cascades branch in Redmond at 548-4543 and ask about ORELA prep training offerings they have. You might have to be a member of the union to be eligible to get the training - I don't know. Also, someone wrote on one forum that I saw that they used the test prep for MSAT by REA as a study guide and passed ORELA. Apparently there are several MSAT study guides out there, but the one by REA gets high marks

Amazon sells it:
Amazon.com: MSAT - The Best Test Prep for the Multiple Subjects Assessment for Teachers (Test Preps) (9780878917495): The Staff of REA: Books

Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Hi Delta07! You could try contacting the teacher's union (Oregon Education Association) local Cascades branch in Redmond at 548-4543 and ask about ORELA prep training offerings they have. You might have to be a member of the union to be eligible to get the training - I don't know. Also, someone wrote on one forum that I saw that they used the test prep for MSAT by REA as a study guide and passed ORELA. Apparently there are several MSAT study guides out there, but the one by REA gets high marks

Amazon sells it:
Amazon.com: MSAT - The Best Test Prep for the Multiple Subjects Assessment for Teachers (Test Preps) (9780878917495): The Staff of REA: Books
Thanks Bendite! I'll look into your suggestions on Monday. I tried to add to your reputation, but I have to spread some around first.

I still have my study guide for the Praxis test I took for CO licensure. I may just use that again. I'm working against a time crunch so ordering a book through Amazon may prove useless, at least this time around. I just found out that the exam is only given in Bend twice a year, one in October and again in March. Since my license is up for renewal in April, (here I thought I was getting way ahead of the game) I didn't want to chance March so I registered for the October date. However, it doesn't give me much time to prepare. I figure I will go in and do the best I can and hope for the best! I taught elementary school in CO, so I hope I can pass. I just suffer from major test anxiety, so I like to feel as though I've prepared the best I can.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:52 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,592 times
Suffering from test anxiety would sure make you empathetic to our school kids who are tested, tested, tested. Makes you an even better teacher, I'm sure. Good Luck on ORELA!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Suffering from test anxiety would sure make you empathetic to our school kids who are tested, tested, tested. Makes you an even better teacher, I'm sure. Good Luck on ORELA!
That's the truth! When I taught 3rd & 4th grades in CO, I always hated CSAP time. I felt so bad for those kids who couldn't sleep, eat, or play because they were stressed out over a stupid standardized test! I would always do some silly yoga stretches when we took our 10 minute break between tests. The kids loved this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: