Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 01:50 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,553,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh, that's cool!!!! I imagine that the winters in OK seem balmy to you.

Redbird, you crack me up. I have to agree with Nomadicus~it looks like I would fit in there well, too, but I don't have quite that many belongings.
Actually, that's how we look after garage sale'n all morning.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
OMG, don't mention rummage sales or DH will want to drive down there. He's a rummage addict and I don't like them. I have enough unnecessary things already.

You guys were just on the weather channel for one of the storm stories. It was about tornadoes by Kingfisher and also the flooding that one of the hurricanes (Erin???) caused.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,444,986 times
Quote:
OMG, don't mention rummage sales or DH will want to drive down there. He's a rummage addict and I don't like them. I have enough unnecessary things already.

You guys were just on the weather channel for one of the storm stories. It was about tornadoes by Kingfisher and also the flooding that one of the hurricanes (Erin???) caused.
Hmmmmmmm

Some people live off of yard sales and Garage sales 3/4's of the year round, here in OK.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,331,171 times
Quote:
Garage sales and thrift shops are a way of life. DH hated them except when I found something really cool for him! Then for the next few months he'd give me a list of what to look for. One can NEVER have too much stuff, when it gets overwhelming it just means you need a bigger house.

But I knew a guy back in the '60s in Seattle who used to buy case lots and pallet lots either at fire sales or auctions, then he'd sell one or two of whatever it was and keep the rest, because it was 'free'. He had one of those big old 2 story houses with a full basement and attic, and he had it filled. There were literally trails between stacks of things everywhere in the house, plus a barge that was filled to the hilt. His wife finally got tired of it all and left him - and she left all the kids with him too, told him it was time for him to do something useful instead of spending money on STUFF. Now, that really was too much stuff...

Old 03-07-2009, 02:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,833,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Redbird looks like they may let me in. I may be borderline...Depends on how many cats I can bring...
Just be sure to check on local ordinances, especially if you are planning on living in town. Usually laws are alot less strict outside of city limits.

Quote:
Cool! Yeah Erin did a real number on OK... here in Duncan they had to close a 20 mile stretch of Highway 81 because it turned into a raging river that washed away cars like toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Hmmmmmmm

Some people live off of yard sales and Garage sales 3/4's of the year round, here in OK.
Especially in Duncan!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,444,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Just be sure to check on local ordinances, especially if you are planning on living in town. Usually laws are alot less strict outside of city limits.

Cool! Yeah Erin did a real number on OK... here in Duncan they had to close a 20 mile stretch of Highway 81 because it turned into a raging river that washed away cars like toys!

Especially in Duncan!
Isn't that the truth.

Most people buy from one sale and add it to their own sale.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
Oh gosh!! NINE months a year down there????

We have them up here about 4 months a year and that's too long. DH has to rent a garage just for all his "treasures".

Don't get me wrong~I'm not high classed or snooty and I have no problem going through the clearance racks at Kmart. Just not really interested in other items, I guess. Give me a recliner and a tv and a computer and my life is complete.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,331,171 times
Quote:
Oh gosh!! NINE months a year down there????

We have them up here about 4 months a year and that's too long. DH has to rent a garage just for all his "treasures".

Don't get me wrong~I'm not high classed or snooty and I have no problem going through the clearance racks at Kmart. Just not really interested in other items, I guess. Give me a recliner and a tv and a computer and my life is complete.
Back in AK it was year round, and there were NO ordinances as to how often one could have garage sales. Mostly I got books, craft supplies, and tools. One can never have too many tools [according to DH], or books [according to moi], and I still have tons of yarns, etc, enough that will last me the rest of my life and give my offspring fits when it's time to get rid of Ma's STUFF. But we also went through a lot of vacuum cleaners, it would take maybe 6 months to kill one with all the dog hair. It was a lot cheaper to get someone else's discard than to buy a new one, especially when the discard was was perfectly good and it was donated just so someone could buy something with more bells and whistles. Probably one of the most expensive things I ever got was a freezer completely filled with seafood and lumpia. The son of the man who sold that was a cannery foreman, so all the seafood was commercially frozen, at that. Crab, scallops, shrimp, halibut... all for 300.00. And where else could one buy a working chainsaw for 5.00?

On top of that, I have some actual antiques, and if I ever get my life together enough, I'll sell them, definitely for more than I paid.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,794,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Looks like someone had their one year anniversary. Gee, I wonder who it could be?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2996084-post1092.html

Happy Anniversary, Colleeng and family.
Thanks, RB, yes I just had my one year anniversary. I told my story at work of our arrival, which I posted here, with the weeping teens, travelling with the dog and her crate, being denied boarding on our plane, etc. That was sooommeee move!

Even DS has shown signs of adjusting! He has friends now, is doing well in school, has a part time job and a social life. BUT -- he's going back to NJ for spring break -- but only for a week. With Scott it's always two steps forward, one step back.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:51 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,547,437 times
Default The Movie, "Taking Chance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I watched this movie this morning on HBO. It was excellent. Kevin Bacon was great in his role, and the story was so moving. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma