Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times

Advertisements

Synopsis...I think the riverpoint in chicago would be a good fit for the current state of architecture in okc. Sleek and modern, but not so contemporary that it looks ridiculous. Thats my preference, but I have a feeling it might be more iconic since they seem to put an emphasis on that.

Nice pick Lady robyn- Leadership Square was going to be around 60floors, but the oil bust happened around that time and it became twin towers which I still really enjoy anyway. I just wished they had put the structure in a place where people can see it (of course that shows the mess that happened, which explains why no one can see it). It really is stunning and still seems to be on par with something like the River point in chicago. I believe the sculpture out in front of it was the first big time modern, corporate sculpture in Oklahoma. Hard to get photos of the darn thing.

Dubai...Really stunning but thats the last thing I would want!

I imagine the new tower will probably be around 42-45 floors and with the typical contemporary corporate tower each floor is around 15 ft. these days, which might get it to 700ft. Making it the tallest.

Anyway its great Oklahoma has back to back structures that will recieve a lot of attention and are iconic for the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Yeah, that building in the bottom photo does look out of the ballpark, looking kinda like a cross between a cobra and a coke bottle. I think a bizarre building like that in OKC would get more ridicule, and dubious nick names than serious admiration. It might do fine in an amusement park having to do with a thrill ride, though.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Yeah, I dont think they will be in the market for moon scrapers anytime soon. It looks like it should be on Mars. It probably would cost more than a billion to build that thing. Dubai has many avante gaurde buildings that are extremely advanced. It would actually fit in there.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM

They wont be building that avante guarde type of structure in OKC. It would fit into Dubai and maybe a couple other cities in the World though. It looks like it belongs on Mars!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:02 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
They wont be building that avante guarde type of structure in OKC. It would fit into Dubai and maybe a couple other cities in the World though. It looks like it belongs on Mars!
I agree. That would look out of place almost anywhere. I would like to see something similar to you what you would see in Atlanta's downtown (like the tall one in the pic below). Atlanta has some very interesting and beautiful buildings downtown; some would fit right in with OkC's skyline and compliment it, not... do like that "thing" in the above picture.. It looks like a cigarette lighter or something the Egyptians would "roll out" for exhibitions!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 25,231 times
Default New Tower for OKC

I think something nice and sleek like the new Musuem Tower in Dallas would be great for OKC!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/nextseason/Dallas/museum_tower_0001.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-31-2008, 12:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
No way, the museum tower is much too ugly. One of the two skyscrapers on the right in the picture would look much better in downtown Oklahoma City. The light colored glassy design of the Museum Tower would also look out of place in downtown Oklahoma City. Skyscrapers with a pyramid on top look pretty cool.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 AM

I imagine that it will most likely be made of glass because most if not all new designs for skyscrapers have glass and curve. BOk arena is metal/glass. I would like to see a modern First National with a spire. I love buildings that mimic the Empire State. Here is a bad example of what can go wrong with new architecture.....

Welcome back to the 70s box scraper.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:26 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
I imagine that it will most likely be made of glass because most if not all new designs for skyscrapers have glass and curve. BOk arena is metal/glass. I would like to see a modern First National with a spire. I love buildings that mimic the Empire State. Here is a bad example of what can go wrong with new architecture.....

Welcome back to the 70s box scraper.
I wholeheartedly agree. That thing is butt ugly and looks like it was put together from a lego set. Is that REALLY being built somewhere?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:58 PM

In Louisville. Its called the museum plaza and costs around 450 mil. It has a museum and condos etc....maybe it will be loved some day!
Museum Plaza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City