Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 09:17 PM

634 posts, read 326,832 times

Advertisements

I see the hatred for Ohio a lot, living in SC at the moment. Every time people talk about transplants moving in from other states, or tourists coming in to go to Myrtle Beach or Charleston, "Ohio" is always the state that the people are said to be coming from. I can't say I've ever really heard many negative reasons for it though.

I was about to say that there aren't too many jobs for me there but then I looked at a map and saw that Wright-Patterson is located in Ohio; I either have forgotten that or never really was interested-enough in Wright-Pat to try to learn where it was. So I don't know...Ohio doesn't seem too bad to me, ESPECIALLY compared to SC. Ohio gets actual winters. There's a Great Lake to the north and plenty of populous cities close by in surrounding states, so plenty of things to do and things that are happening (Indianapolis isn't too far so I'd finally get to go to GenCon for board gaming if I lived in Ohio). And I don't have any problem with the general vibe of the Midwest and Ohio is kind of the edge of that region; I'm from MO originally and prefer the Midwest to the South.

So yeah. My list of places I'd like to move to for work located in the US is pretty small. There aren't too many places that I've ever thought I'd love to live in in this country. Ohio definitely seems tolerable though, and not anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. After reading through this thread and dedicating a couple minutes of thought towards the existence of Ohio I've decided that it doesn't seem all that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 09:53 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
They’re loving us a lot tonight.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
As a long time family Texan, If I was to move north Ohio would certainly be a place I'd want to be.

Screw those people from places like Chicago and New York. Who wants their problems. There are many reasons those crummy cities are losing population.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:46 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As a long time family Texan, If I was to move north Ohio would certainly be a place I'd want to be.

Screw those people from places like Chicago and New York. Who wants their problems. There are many reasons those crummy cities are losing population.
NYC is rapidly gaining population. Unfortunately they're all illegal.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:11 PM

160 posts, read 86,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Oh bless your heart. Stay classy, kid.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:16 PM

160 posts, read 86,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
NYC is rapidly gaining population. Unfortunately they're all illegal.
Source that "tHeY'rE aLl iLLeGaL."

Old 11-08-2023, 04:17 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
... have you noticed that in media print; the AP style book mentions Cincinnati and Cleveland as stand alone cities without the state's name? Not even Tampa, Orlando, and Nashville has gained that level of respect and recognition yet. Only Atlanta, Miami, and New Orleans gets that type of respect in the southeast. Two cities in Ohio as well as Pittsburgh and Indianapolis gets that respect in the Midwest.
Circa 1900, Cleveland and Cincinnati were top-10 cities nationwide. They were much larger than say Los Angeles, Atlanta or Miami. Consider also Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore - all massive, prosperous and pivotally important in their day, but now... less so, to put it politely.

The analogy would be, to an actress who was ravishingly beautiful in the 1970s, who today is... elderly. How do we describe her? With grudging respect, yes. But could she be cast as the leading-lady in a modern romance movie? No.

Ohio is unusual in having not one, but two cities, which were formerly marque epicenters of commerce and innovation, but which no longer are. Compare that to other parts of the country, which were never favored by fortune. If today they're not particularly prominent, that is consistent with their history; there was no notable decline. We might hurl insult at West Virginia; WV was always poor. It never had an outstanding capital of commerce or technology. It might still be uncouth to insult it, but the contempt, if there is contempt, is not some gleeful pointing at how the once-mighty have been humbled.

So even today, we know that "Cleveland" means Cleveland, Ohio... and not Cleveland, Tennessee (yes, there is one). Cleveland remains known to the popular imagination... but doesn't command popular respect.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:43 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I don't see Pennsylvania as much different than Ohio.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:35 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
Oh bless your heart. Stay classy, kid.
Last thing Ohio needs is a bunch of blustery Texans moving there.

Seriously though, in my neck of the woods, nobody really says much bad about Ohio other than the fact that Cleveland really is cold.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:42 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
Source that "tHeY'rE aLl iLLeGaL."
They probably don’t know the difference between refugees and illegal immigrants. There are plenty of refugees in NYC right now, but there are a lot settling in Ohio too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio