Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2023, 07:11 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As a former Ohioan - not by birth, but by workplace relocation - I heartily second the motion, that Ohio is well-suited to the raising of a family. Schools are relatively good (highly variable, but one can choose micro-location), environmental quality is decent (acerbic jabs about "the mistake on the lake" notwithstanding), real estate is inexpensive. There's a strong socio-political culture emphasizing "family values".

But for the same reason, Ohio isn't so smashing if you're single and child-free... even in the bigger cities. It's downright weird for adults in their 40s or 50s to not have children or spouses, and those who do find themselves in such predicament, would find their social lives very much constrained, and their values questioned. To be sure, this isn't unique to Ohio; it's the basic model throughout the Heartland. But I can attest, that having moved to Los Angeles, I very much feel more "at home", especially in the tech/start-up culture.
I'm in my early 40s and I don't have kids nor married. I know a lot of my family and friends who are my age that have kids and they never looked me weird nor have they ever questioned me about it. Also, this isn't just a Heartland thing either; there are some people who might share that mindset on the Coasts too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t know who pays attention to social media, or why, but this is a non story to me. As a former Ohioan, I know that it’s a great place to live and raise a family.
IMO, most people don't really watch the mainstream media to get their information now that have multiple options to choose from plus social media can make or break repuations about a person, place or story. A lot of young and some old people today delve into social media more for their information. Plus, the people who are giving the information are people who are regular like them so they relate to them. Also, they can get the info and process in less time.

Ohio has become everyone's go-to state to dis because of Trump, MAGA, East Palenstine trainwreck over the summer, among other things. I've seen stuff from people in Jersey, Florida, Pittsburgh, Georgia, etc. on social media write "I would be mad too if I had to live in Ohio." Seems like every state in the country gets passes for their flaws except Ohio. For example, we're looked at as Rust Belt, poor, uneducated, MAGA, opoids, insular. On the flip side, people look at your current home Georgia as progressive, rich, educated, diverse, hardly any poverty and not too many hoods like a Buckeye or St. Clair. There's a certain group of people out there that may be going through some things in their respective states, but they think "Well, at least I don't live in Ohio." To me, some Americans in general want a state to feel superior to.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 11-24-2023 at 08:36 PM..

Old 11-24-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why is that?
Three words: hate and ignorance.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:57 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,250,471 times
Quote:
Why is that?

I don't care for those Buckeyes.

(30-24).

Old 11-26-2023, 07:18 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,216,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
For example, we're looked at as Rust Belt, poor, uneducated, MAGA, opoids, insular. On the flip side, people look at your current home Georgia as progressive, rich, educated, diverse, hardly any poverty and not too many hoods like a Buckeye or St. Clair. There's a certain group of people out there that may be going through some things in their respective states, but they think "Well, at least I don't live in Ohio." To me, some Americans in general want a state to feel superior to.
Ironically most statistics I've seen show Ohio having a lower poverty rate than Georgia. There is plenty of the #MAGA element here such as Rep. MTG and the state is hardly a progressive utopia despite the very narrow 2020 presidential vote.

The major issue I have with Ohio is the cold winters, which are consistent with every other state in the northeast quadrant of the country. Plenty of states get stereotyped often on very superficial grounds and Ohio is not unique in that respect.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Three words: hate and ignorance.
Oh, sorry you feel that way. Others don't thankfully. The population of Ohio is growing.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:44 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Ironically most statistics I've seen show Ohio having a lower poverty rate than Georgia. There is plenty of the #MAGA element here such as Rep. MTG and the state is hardly a progressive utopia despite the very narrow 2020 presidential vote.

The major issue I have with Ohio is the cold winters, which are consistent with every other state in the northeast quadrant of the country. Plenty of states get stereotyped often on very superficial grounds and Ohio is not unique in that respect.
Georgia has Atlanta, and that makes all of the difference. When the average American today thinks about Georgia, it is doubtful that he or she ponders the movie, "Deliverance". Instead, it's Hartsfield Airport, or maybe NCR moving its headquarters from Dayton Ohio, to Atlanta. Consider: how many marquee companies have made the move from Dayton to Atlanta, and how many, have moved from Atlanta to Dayton? So much of the engineering that made the modern world, the investment of capital and the building of industry, hails from Dayton or Akron or places like that... and yet, where is it now?

But the reverse of the above, happened in migration of individual people, in the 20th century... workers moved from the South, to Ohio. This brings us to your second point, about the weather. By Midwestern standards, Ohio winters are relatively mild. But the "relatively" should be viewed in context of the people doing the evaluation. To Southerners moving north, even Cincinnati or Dayton are cold. Thus Ohio gets a reputation or being some unbearable ice-box. If people from Minnesota or Wisconsin moved south to Ohio, the very same climate would have been viewed very differently.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry you feel that way. Others don't thankfully. The population of Ohio is growing.
I was referring to the poster you were replying to, not me.

Old 11-26-2023, 04:20 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,216,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Georgia has Atlanta, and that makes all of the difference. When the average American today thinks about Georgia, it is doubtful that he or she ponders the movie, "Deliverance". Instead, it's Hartsfield Airport, or maybe NCR moving its headquarters from Dayton Ohio, to Atlanta. Consider: how many marquee companies have made the move from Dayton to Atlanta, and how many, have moved from Atlanta to Dayton? So much of the engineering that made the modern world, the investment of capital and the building of industry, hails from Dayton or Akron or places like that... and yet, where is it now?

But the reverse of the above, happened in migration of individual people, in the 20th century... workers moved from the South, to Ohio. This brings us to your second point, about the weather. By Midwestern standards, Ohio winters are relatively mild. But the "relatively" should be viewed in context of the people doing the evaluation. To Southerners moving north, even Cincinnati or Dayton are cold. Thus Ohio gets a reputation or being some unbearable ice-box. If people from Minnesota or Wisconsin moved south to Ohio, the very same climate would have been viewed very differently.
I don't think (outside of Dayton at least) there is much popular awareness of a headquarters move that took place several years ago, for what is now multiple relatively small companies (NCR Voyix, NCR Atleos, Teradata). These days engineering innovation seems to be concentrated in a very limited set of geographies, at least based on venture capital investments, so Ohio has plenty of company being out of the spotlight there. Yes, on the other point the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport indeed is very familiar to Americans and a top contributor to Georgia's growth in the modern era.

Ohio certainly doesn't have the coldest winters in the Midwest or nation, but they would still be a difficult adjustment for most of us from the Sunbelt. On the positive side the state is in a relatively safe place in a climate change scenario. It is not as susceptible to hurricanes and tropical storms, fires, severe droughts and extreme long term heat waves as many other parts of the US.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post

Now, that's news to me that Georgia has a higher poverty rate than Ohio. I'm definitely aware of the heavy #MAGA element in Georgia with MTG and Herschel Walker running for office over a year ago. Just like we have our share of #MAGA idiots here in Ohio including our Governor. What are other factors that hardly makes it a progressive utopia?

In spite of everything, Georgia still has a great reputation in mainstream media as well as social media, it's not the butt of jokes like Ohio is. I don't know if you're a Braves fan, but even some of the Braves media members and the mascot took shots at Cleveland on Twitter earlier this year while the Braves played the Guardians. I know that plenty of states get stereotyped but at least states like Georgia, Florida, NY or California have enough boosters to offset the jokes and stereotypes. Also, I don't see Georgia folks take shots at their own state online and/or in real life like some Ohio expats and citizens.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 11-26-2023 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio