Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 03:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
https://local12.com/news/local/billb...hio-cincinnati

It's an ad campaign mostly centered around Ohio's lower COL in expensive cities. I saw one on Wilshire Boulevard in west L.A. and it was unsurprisingly cringe and I'm guessing persuaded exactly zero people.

Things like "Owning beachfront property is the L.A. dream, owning actual property is the Ohio reality" on a billboard.

There's a way to do that kind of stuff and that's not it. Appeal to people's aspirations beyond getting a house on the cheap.

Like, "you wanted to be this specific thing in life and here's how it would happen in Ohio and not here."

Cleveland MIGHT be able to pull this kind of thing off in expensive cities that lack amenities like Austin.

Really any city in any state that does this is just going to make themselves look desperate. People have the internet, there aren't any "hidden gems." People generally know what the score is and poaching in other cities with billboards is almost guaranteed to backfire.
From the article you sent me, it's an article from two years ago, it's not recent. I bet that those billboards aren't even up in those cities now. Nobody really knew about the billboards until The City of NYC's rep made that dumb Tweet about Cleveland. But, Ohio is damned if they do, damned if they don't even without the billboards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 04:44 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
From the article you sent me, it's an article from two years ago, it's not recent. I bet that those billboards aren't even up in those cities now. Nobody really knew about the billboards until The City of NYC's rep made that dumb Tweet about Cleveland. But, Ohio is damned if they do, damned if they don't even without the billboards.
I saw a similar billboard in LA's "Sawtelle" neighborhood, on the West side of Los Angeles. The message was tacky and patronizing. It essentially implied that Los Angeles residents were flighty dreamers and stooges of a sinister plot. If they had any sense, they'd grow up and decamp to the Midwest, where they could start living real-lives, instead of the pretend-lives that they're ostensibly living in LA. It was the inter-state propaganda equivalent of "avocado toast".

Old 04-18-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I saw a similar billboard in LA's "Sawtelle" neighborhood, on the West side of Los Angeles. The message was tacky and patronizing. It essentially implied that Los Angeles residents were flighty dreamers and stooges of a sinister plot. If they had any sense, they'd grow up and decamp to the Midwest, where they could start living real-lives, instead of the pretend-lives that they're ostensibly living in LA. It was the inter-state propaganda equivalent of "avocado toast".
I just remember reading about them being in NY, didn't know they were in L.A. too. But, those billboards are a reflection of the people who paid the money for the advertising not the state itself.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Ohio certainly does no favors for itself by buying ads in other cities begging businesses and residents to move there.
That should be a reflection on the people who paid for the ads not the state itself. It's not like the whole state made all these billboards and went around the country putting them up lol.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:38 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
That should be a reflection on the people who paid for the ads not the state itself. It's not like the whole state made all these billboards and went around the country putting them up lol.
These billboards are not even remotely as tacky as Michigan's "come here so you can smoke weed" billboards they have in northwest Ohio.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:27 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Are the billboards high in the middle and round at both ends?

Old 04-19-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are the billboards high in the middle and round at both ends?
Not to my knowledge.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:48 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post

Many OH residents, IMO, are not the best ambassadors for the state. When I moved here from the West Coast two years ago, you would not believe the looks of astonishment from some locals when I told them we chose to move back to Ohio. Quite a few proceeded to then bash their own state. I found this interesting.
This.. We also moved here from the West Coast 2 + years ago and I can 10000000% vouch for this.

Old 04-21-2023, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
This.. We also moved here from the West Coast 2 + years ago and I can 10000000% vouch for this.
IMO, a certain group here in this state have an inferiority complex, just angry at the politics, both or weather. Plus, the state has been beaten upon so much by the media, social media and comedians at large that it has gotten into our psyche. Like a kid who constantly gets reminded that they'll never be anything so they feel that they'll never amount to anything. A lot of people feel we don't measure to the Coasts or South becuase of jobs, population, glamorour and/or media hype. Ohio either want the state to be the East Coast, West Coast, other Midwest cities and/or the South. Or, they want it be all-in-one. Where did you move from on the West Coast? Also, what are the reactions do you get from the people in your current city about moving from the West Coast to Ohio? How did your friends on the West Coast react when told them you were moving to Ohio?

Old 04-22-2023, 10:51 AM

484 posts, read 467,147 times
To me, the people who bash Ohio fall into two camps:
- They've never lived nor visited here and never will.
- Liberals who are mad that Ohio has become a red state, or at least a red-leaning one, and say how much they hate it here yet it must not be bad enough for them to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio