Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 09:05 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
To me, the people who bash Ohio fall into two camps:
- They've never lived nor visited here and never will.
- Liberals who are mad that Ohio has become a red state, or at least a red-leaning one, and say how much they hate it here yet it must not be bad enough for them to leave.
To be fair, there's a third category: those who relocated to Ohio for career or academic reasons, who didn't find it to be a commodious fit, and who consequently left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 09:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
To be fair, there's a third category: those who relocated to Ohio for career or academic reasons, who didn't find it to be a commodious fit, and who consequently left.
True about what you said. Also, some of those people bash Ohio in their current cities too.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
To me, the people who bash Ohio fall into two camps:
- They've never lived nor visited here and never will.
- Liberals who are mad that Ohio has become a red state, or at least a red-leaning one, and say how much they hate it here yet it must not be bad enough for them to leave.
First one I agree with; they go by what they've heard or what they read and/or see online. Second one I disagree with not eveyrbody who has issuses with the state is a liberal, so let's not make this a politicial issue.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:21 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Where did you move from on the West Coast? I actually grew up mostly in Canton, now live in Austintown. I moved back here after being away 15 years, I've lived on both coasts and Texas, moved here from outside of Los Angeles.
Also, what are the reactions do you get from the people in your current city about moving from the West Coast to Ohio? The most common question is "Why in the #@$% would you move here from there?"

How did your friends on the West Coast react when told them you were moving to Ohio? Basically the same as above, but, once I spoke the financials of it, they better understood. I'm paying 680 a month on a mortgage as opposed to 2000 a month for rent for over twice the space
Above

Old 09-27-2023, 07:14 AM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Related to this topic.

I wish OSU coach Ryan Day would cease and desist with this “Ohio against the world” stuff in the national press, as it’s given new life to an outdated internet meme.

I enjoyed OSU’s win against Notre Dame as much as anyone, but geez, give it a rest.

My $.02.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Related to this topic.

I wish OSU coach Ryan Day would cease and desist with this “Ohio against the world” stuff in the national press, as it’s given new life to an outdated internet meme.

I enjoyed OSU’s win against Notre Dame as much as anyone, but geez, give it a rest.

My $.02.
IMO, I don't think it will ever rest until Ohio starts getting respect on the national level instead of either being ridicule nationally for its politics or the object of scorn on social media (i.e. TikTok, YouTube). Plus, I think Day meant it more towards Holtz than anything.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 10-01-2023 at 07:28 PM..

Old 10-01-2023, 07:28 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
I thought the only people who voluntarily live in Ohio are in the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I thought the only people who voluntarily live in Ohio are in the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Did you write that one?

Old 11-03-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Unfortunately Ohio isn't offering a lot of opportunities to transplants, so people aren't enthused about the state.
A lot of people made up their minds about Ohio beforehand. Most people have their stereotypes about Ohio and the Midwest outside of Chicago and Minnenapolis upfront. A lot of them think that Ohio is a bunch of farms, everyone is uneducated and/or drug addicts and that we're all MAGA.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:25 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
A lot of people made up their minds about Ohio beforehand. Most people have their stereotypes about Ohio and the Midwest outside of Chicago and Minnenapolis upfront. A lot of them think that Ohio is a bunch of farms, everyone is uneducated and/or drug addicts and that we're all MAGA.
I'll preface this by saying that I lived and worked in Ohio from roughly 2004 to 2008. I was a fuel hauler for Marathon Petroleum and I was a delivery truck driver at the Walmart distribution Center in Washington Court House. Both jobs required driving to multiple locations in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and West Virginia. I own a small Trucking fleet now and my most recent load through Ohio was a week and a half ago in which I was driving across Dayton (I had to "deadhead" from Dayton to Richmond Indiana to pick up a load that went out to Joplin Missouri).

With that said, the perception of "Ohio" outside of Ohio is probably the same as the average Ohioan's perception of South Carolina. You've heard of the place, but outside of a few cities (Charleston and Myrtle Beach) you probably know very little about the state. If nothing else, Ohio is synonymous with cold temperatures and cloud cover (ironically as I type this it is 37° in Columbus, Ohio and it is 50° in Charlotte, NC).

I honestly don't think that Ohio is "hated" on social media and it's definitely not hated in the mainstream media either. For example, have you noticed that in media print; the AP style book mentions Cincinnati and Cleveland as stand alone cities without the state's name? Not even Tampa, Orlando, and Nashville has gained that level of respect and recognition yet. Only Atlanta, Miami, and New Orleans gets that type of respect in the southeast. Two cities in Ohio as well as Pittsburgh and Indianapolis gets that respect in the Midwest.

Furthermore, Major League baseball has a presence twice in States like Ohio and Missouri but has no presence in states such as North Carolina and Tennessee. Ohio cities simply get a BIG NOD due to historical significance and history carries a lot of weight (especially when it comes to perceptions). The worst media perceptions are directed at the so-called New kids on the block cities that had no size and influence before the automobile was invented. Cincinnati and Cleveland doesn't have THAT problem and they never will.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio