Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 12:26 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
no one will vote for a candidate that wants to make abortion illegal.but half of America disapprove of abortion including myself. but I do believe it should be legal to save the mother or in cases of rape and incest. to me that's just common sense. the recent videos that without a doubt show what Planned Parenthood hood does with our tax Dollar is a downright crime. and on that front I hope they stop funding my tax Dollars to that ****ing organization.the videos are sickening and a disgrace on America.. secondly I think you are the one stuck in the fifties. women's pay and Healthcareare are equal to men in my profession. and I have a very physical construction job which they cant perform equally. but of course the Union pays them the same as me. it's bull****.but hey that's the way it is. I'm a bigot or a chauvinist if I disagree. right?and what the hell do you know about everyday life in America? haven't you been squirreled away in Mexico ? far left liberalism and progressive agendas from the minority of the country can really screw up this country the past three years since you've been gone.
The PP videos were heavily edited by anti-abortion groups, so they present a false narrative and have been pretty much debunked. Of course people lapped it up as absolute truth because it played right into existing biases. It also presents PP as exclusively about abortion, which it total nonsense. Its primary role is and always has been women's health, which makes the push for defunding it by the GOP all the more obvious as to what they really think. Your post is a pretty typical example of the kind of backwards fear mongering bs that allows widespread bigotry to exist within the party and why it earns such an anti-women reputation, especially in recent years.

Why do you keep bringing up me being in Mexico? I'm from Ohio and lived there 95% of my life. This focus on a completely unrelated detail is kind of strange and has absolutely no bearing on this discussion.

What's been screwed up because of "progressive agendas" the last 3 years? Can you give specific examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 12:32 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
You point out an extreme pro life conservative regarding abortion. Just as there are extreme pro choice liberals who are fine with using abortion as birth control. That's why its important that commen sense moderates from both sides work together to move this country forward. Secondly, what's wrong with wanting to take care of your own kids? taking care of orphans and the like is a natural common sense human thing to do. what you don't seem to understand is that the hard working taxpayer is tired of paying for all the millions of Americans that keep making poor decisions time and time again. can't you see the hard working taxpayer in America is waking up and getting pissed off that so much of his/her tax dollar goes to handouts to undeserving people who abuse the system?
Classic "I got mine".

It's interesting how so much of the conservative/GOP platform and belief system revolves around a complete lack of empathy for others.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:23 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Kasich was one of the best in the debates. Unfortunately, it's relative to the fact that pretty much every GOP candidate is batsh*t. If it had been a stage full of reasonable moderates, he wouldn't have looked good at all. Kasich is *far* too socially conservative for me and he's no more fiscally responsible than any of the other candidates, so I couldn't vote for him anyway.
I agree. I do not ever vote republican.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:10 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
You make my point. You don't want to pay for the support of children that, due to your religious belief, you admittedly are forcing on mothers that don't want them. Hypocritical.

Do you approve of the morning-after pill?

If not, what right do you have to deny someone else the right to control their body in a way that they and a large portion of society considers ethical?

I don't see how a "hard-working" taxpayer can deny support for a unwanted child that they forced on a mother. Please explain.
I believe a woman SHOULD have the right to choose in cases of rape and incest or medical reasons. I DONT believe abortion should be used as birth control. I'm fine with a morning after pill. And yes, we as a compassionate nation need to take care of unwanted children, orphans or sick kids.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
The PP videos were heavily edited by anti-abortion groups, so they present a false narrative and have been pretty much debunked. Of course people lapped it up as absolute truth because it played right into existing biases. It also presents PP as exclusively about abortion, which it total nonsense. Its primary role is and always has been women's health, which makes the push for defunding it by the GOP all the more obvious as to what they really think. Your post is a pretty typical example of the kind of backwards fear mongering bs that allows widespread bigotry to exist within the party and why it earns such an anti-women reputation, especially in recent years.

Why do you keep bringing up me being in Mexico? I'm from Ohio and lived there 95% of my life. This focus on a completely unrelated detail is kind of strange and has absolutely no bearing on this discussion.

What's been screwed up because of "progressive agendas" the last 3 years? Can you give specific examples?
when I see people joking laughing and haggling over the price of body parts, that is a crime.obviously if it was edited, it wasn't edited enough to cover up buying and selling conversation of baby body parts for money. that was pretty clear. don't try to change that to fit your agenda. constrictive political correctness in this country is a good example of far left liberal progressiveness.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Classic "I got mine".

It's interesting how so much of the conservative/GOP platform and belief system revolves around a complete lack of empathy for others.
Your opinion.I don't mind helping people in need. especially unwanted, sick children.but I don't want to support people who live off of handouts forever as a way of life and refuse the opportunities that are given to them with our tax dollars.I find it interesting how millions of Americans have used the system and can live basically off of hard working people. free housing,food stamps,welfare, free health care vouchers, free utilities, etcetera etcetera. but a man or woman who has worked their entire life gets 20 weeks of unemploymentand that's it

Old 08-08-2015, 06:02 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Your opinion.I don't mind helping people in need. especially unwanted, sick children.but I don't want to support people who live off of handouts forever as a way of life and refuse the opportunities that are given to them with our tax dollars.I find it interesting how millions of Americans have used the system and can live basically off of hard working people. free housing,food stamps,welfare, free health care vouchers, free utilities, etcetera etcetera. but a man or woman who has worked their entire life gets 20 weeks of unemploymentand that's it
^so true

Old 08-08-2015, 07:38 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Default Green sludge waves

I wonder how many national Republicans have seen pictures like this one. Just imagine a 15-second ad showing pictures such as these, with a simple message, such as this one, or worse: "Kasich on the job."

Lake Erie algal blooms -- prime time to stop the toxic slime: editorial | cleveland.com

Of course, Kasich will try to deny responsibility and detail his efforts to clean up the problem.

When the national press, unlike Ohio's myopic and biased news sources, actually looks at the Kasich solutions, what will they find:

1) He did nothing for three years after the massive 2011 algal bloom until the Toledo water crisis last year, after which his administration attacked Toledo for not having sufficiently robust water treatment capabilities to handle toxic algal scum.

2) Then legislation that Kasich championed only controlled spreading of manure on farm fields under certain conditions, but even then with significant exceptions. E.g., plant winter cover crops and you're free to dump factory livestock farm waste on those fields, knowing full well that most of it will end up in rivers and Lake Erie. In the summer, unless the ground is "saturated," there apparently are no restrictions.

<<The law's restriction on the application of manure and fertilizer pertains to frozen, snow-covered or saturated ground in the western basin of Lake Erie. The law further requires training and certification for those who apply manure at large confined animal feeding operations....

SB 1 does contain loopholes: Manure can be spread on frozen ground to protect winter cover crops....and the bill doesn't specify the amount of fertilizer that can be applied to the land. >>

State finally launches law to reduce toxic algal blooms: editorial | cleveland.com

So essentially, factory farms producing animal waste in amounts equivalent to small cities, have no requirements to process that waste in the same manner as those small cities, but instead still are allowed to spread their waste on fields and wait for it to wash away into rivers, smaller lakes, and Lake Erie.

Kasich clearly is a manure champion.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-08-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I wonder how many national Republicans have seen pictures like this one. Just imagine a 15-second ad showing pictures such as these, with a simple message, such as this one, or worse: "Kasich on the job."

Lake Erie algal blooms -- prime time to stop the toxic slime: editorial | cleveland.com

Of course, Kasich will try to deny responsibility and detail his efforts to clean up the problem.

When the national press, unlike Ohio's myopic and biased news sources, actually looks at the Kasich solutions, what will they find:

1) He did nothing for three years after the massive 2011 algal bloom until the Toledo water crisis last year, after which his administration attacked Toledo for not having sufficiently robust water treatment capabilities to handle toxic algal scum.

2) Then legislation that Kasich championed only controlled spreading of manure on farm fields under certain conditions, but even then with significant exceptions. E.g., plant winter cover crops and you're free to dump factory livestock farm waste on those fields, knowing full well that most of it will end up in rivers and Lake Erie. In the summer, unless the ground is "saturated," there apparently are no restrictions.

<<The law's restriction on the application of manure and fertilizer pertains to frozen, snow-covered or saturated ground in the western basin of Lake Erie. The law further requires training and certification for those who apply manure at large confined animal feeding operations....

SB 1 does contain loopholes: Manure can be spread on frozen ground to protect winter cover crops....and the bill doesn't specify the amount of fertilizer that can be applied to the land. >>

State finally launches law to reduce toxic algal blooms: editorial | cleveland.com

So essentially, factory farms producing animal waste in amounts equivalent to small cities, have no requirements to process that waste in the same manner as those small cities, but instead still are allowed to spread their waste on fields and wait for it to wash away into rivers, smaller lakes, and Lake Erie.

Kasich clearly is a manure champion.
You do realize algae blooms on Lake Erie has been happening for decades.so to be fair it has been an ongoing problem that both Republicans and Democrats have ignored.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
You do realize algae blooms on Lake Erie has been happening for decades.so to be fair it has been an ongoing problem that both Republicans and Democrats have ignored.
The first major toxic algal bloom since the 1970s occurred in 2011. Kasich did nothing.

Kasich subsequently ignored the problem for 3 years, and when the Toledo water crisis forced him and the Republicans to do something, they passed a sham piece of legislation, as explained in my prior post.

Are you excusing Kasich of any responsibility, or claiming that he's done anything that will remedy the shameful situation? If not, what's your point?

With the gerrymandered Ohio Senate firmly in Republican control, no Democratic Party governor can do anything about it either without successfully shaming the Republicans into action, a tough thing to do with Ohio's Republican-leaning media.

Why should northern Ohioans put up with this because the Republicans are in the hip pocket of the state's ag interests, and now in the hip pocket as well of the shale fracking industry?

<<Data collected by Heidelberg researchers show that, since the mid-1990s, levels of DRP have been on an upward trend. For example, dissolved reactive phosphorous released into Ohio’s Maumee River in April and June, a critical time for spurring algal blooms in the summer, has increased from approximately 100 metric tons in the mid-1990s to 150 metric tons by the end of the past decade. Amounts of particulate phosphorus entering the Maumee watershed have declined from approximately 600 metric tons to 550 metric tons over the same time period.

Despite its relatively small proportion of total phosphorus, scientists believe DRP is a primary driver behind the resurgence of algal blooms in Lake Erie. That’s because it is soluble in water and 100 percent of it is available to sustain algal growth and reproduction. In contrast, only 30 percent of particulate phosphorus—which is chemically bound to sediments—is available for algae to use. Furthermore, particulate phosphorus is attached to suspended sediments that settle to the bottom of bays and lakes, making it even less available to algae, while DRP remains dispersed within the water where algae can access it.

Though levels of DRP are highly variable from year to year depending on the amount of rainfall washing the phosphorus into the water, growing amounts of DRP appear to correlate closely with Lake Erie’s intensifying algal blooms. In 2011, record amounts of DRP washed down the Maumee and Sandusky rivers — 267 metric tons and 63 metric tons, respectively — during spring storms. That summer and fall, the largest harmful algal bloom ever recorded on Lake Erie stretched 193 kilometers (120 miles) from Toledo to Cleveland, and beyond. The next year, when DRP flowing down the Maumee River was only 15 percent of 2011 levels, the offshore bloom didn’t even reach Sandusky.>>

Great Lakes Drinking Water Fouled by Toxic Algae | Circle of Blue WaterNews

What Kasich isn't doing even today:

<<
Above all, the administration of Gov. John Kasich should overcome its resistance to defining western Lake Erie as “impaired” under the federal Clean Water Act. That designation would, among other things, allow state and federal regulators to impose and oversee a maximum daily load of phosphorus into the watershed.

The proposals also call for stricter limits on agricultural phosphorus pollution than the new state law requires. They include more soil testing to ensure that farmers don’t apply manure and fertilizer excessively or carelessly.

The state needs to do more to inspect and regulate concentrated animal feeding operations, or CAFOs. These factory farms generate huge amounts of manure — from hogs, chickens, cattle, and other livestock — that often are applied, sold, and transferred with scant management.

Mr. Riessen notes that as much as 20 percent of phosphorus in the Maumee watershed comes from livestock manure. We don’t know for sure how many CAFOs there are in northwest Ohio, how much waste they produce, how it’s used, or where it ends up. That has to change.>>

Read more at Another Toledo water crisis? It

Sadly, if you care about Lake Erie, northwestern Ohio rivers, etc., or want to find out what mess has been created by all of the fracking waste injection wells that Kasich and the Republicans have foisted on Ohio without public hearings, the only solution is to vote for Democrats and Green candidates.

Candidly, with the highly radioactive nature of fracking waste water from the Utica and Marcellus shale formations, I would be much more concerned about Ohio's flood of fracking waste water injections if I lived in southwestern and other areas of Ohio were most of the injection industry is operating. Better stewardship hopefully can clean up Lake Erie. I'm not certain what can be done if potable drinking water aquifers are polluted by radioactive waste.

The Republicans are a party of greed, selling themselves collectively to the highest bidder, with little concept of thoughtful stewardship of our natural resources. The Democrats are much better, but not sufficiently better, seemingly unable to stand up to the onslaught of "environmental extremist" arrows regularly fired by Republicans at their political opponents. All citizens who care about our environment should recognize the vast majority of Republicans for what they are, "greeder puppets." If there was enough environmental special interest money available to buy them, many Republicans IMO would be the most ardent environmentalists on the planet.

It's true that many newspapers initially supported Ohio Senate Bill 1, signed into law this spring as an attempt to deal with toxic algal blooms, and many Democrats voted for it, all likely pleased that the Republicans had finally agreed to do something. Now, with this year's massive algal bloom, many Democrats and newspapers realize that SB 1 was inadequate and are demanding better regulation, but I've heard nothing from Kasich and the Republicans.

As shown in the Chesapeake Bay region, ag factory livestock operators care not at all about polluting water. Voluntary actions won't work.

I believe everybody in northeastern Ohio sewer districts are now being assessed on their semi-annual real estate bills in order to build storm water storage capacity to capture 10-year storms.

Yet the factory livestock operations effectively are allowed to spread the animal waste from millions of animals on open fields, knowing full well most of it will pollute northwestern Ohio surface water resources.

Why?

Why aren't you and others outraged???

Last edited by WRnative; 08-08-2015 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio