Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Would you vote for Governor Kasich as President?
Absolutely not, Muffy. He's gotten too much credit as Governor. He signed into law, what some referred to as the re-elect John Kasich Act, a bill that severely restricted ballot access to third parties here in Ohio. Timing was key as some parties were not able to gain ballot access.

In my view he has the mindset of a tyrant. Thought it was ok to outlaw smoking in privately owned bars and restaurants. I don't smoke or go to bars, but I disagree with government making that type of law. If allowing smoking hurts business it only makes sense the owner would disallow it himself. No reason for government to dictate that.

During his campaign for Governor he said he wanted to raise the price on cigarettes and alcohol to give people an income tax break. Not only do I not smoke, I rarely drink, so it doesn't affect me much. But again, I hate government taking advantage of citizens like that, or doing their best to put prices out of reach for poor people in an effort to restrict consumption because they think it should be illegal.

Wish I could trust voters to research candidates and pick the best among them, but unfortunately past elections have proven they don't and wont. If they did Duncan Hunter, Sr. would have won the election in 2008, instead he didn't even win his party's nomination. So we ended up with the disaster of a President we have in office now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD614 View Post
Kasich supports that and so do I.

But that's beside the point. They aren't your natural resources, they belong to the land owner. That is well-established in property law.

With a few exceptions like Hocking Hills, Ohio State parks are mostly glorified corn fields. Drive through NW Ohio, which used to be like Texas. I don't see any long term damage from oil extraction. NW Ohio is nice, fertile farmland these days. Be lucky we have resources to extract and to create good jobs for people.
That's my point. Put them in YOUR yard if you think they're so great.

Oh, well that's wonderful! And from what respected university did you obtain your Ph.D in geological sciences?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,419,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post

Oh, well that's wonderful! And from what respected university did you obtain your Ph.D in geological sciences?
And where did you get yours? If you have the resources, you should use them instead of doing something drastically more expensive. It's basic economics.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:09 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Kasich does deserve credit for being the only Republican candidate to say "forget it and move on" after last week's SSM ruling by the USSC, the rest sounding like the dinosaurs they are.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:23 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I always liked him when we lived in Ohio. I don't know if he has the name recognition to go the distance. It seems like he's getting nada from the media. Chris Christie declaring the day after him was unfortunate. I hope he is included in the debates at least.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Kasich does deserve credit for being the only Republican candidate to say "forget it and move on" after last week's SSM ruling by the USSC, the rest sounding like the dinosaurs they are.
Followed promptly by cutting education in the budget and keeping Draconian abortion laws. He's ever bit the standard modern Republican.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:14 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Followed promptly by cutting education in the budget and keeping Draconian abortion laws. He's ever bit the standard modern Republican.
Ohio spends $11,200 per pupil, how much is enough? $15,000? $20,000? How about $50,000? It seems to me that $11,200 each and 30 students per classroom is roughly about $335,000. Do you really think there is a money problem in the public schools?

With regard to the "draconian" abortion laws, you do realize that Europe's laws are stricter than most states in America?

I'm personally pro-abortion myself. Notice I didn't say pro choice, I said pro-abortion. Most of those kids are being aborted are Democrats and people who are potentially on the public dole and as far as I'm concerned the fewer of them there are the better.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I always liked him when we lived in Ohio. I don't know if he has the name recognition to go the distance. It seems like he's getting nada from the media. Chris Christie declaring the day after him was unfortunate. I hope he is included in the debates at least.
Next to Trump, Kasich is the only candidate that isn't just another me-too guy that repeats things you hear on talk radio. I hope he gets some traction, because he does say quite a few things that need to be said.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post

You're like one of these global warming hypocrites like Al Gore or Robert Redford. They jet around all over the place in there Learjets but they begrudge somebody who might have an SUV. When these people start acting like global warming is a crisis then I'll believe them. Until then I'll assume its just about lining their pockets with money.

Likewise, when you abandon your automobile and walk or use your bicycle to get around I might be a little more sympathetic. Until then, there are plenty of other places in Ohio without oil wells nearby. And you are free to move.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD614 View Post
Ohio spends $11,200 per pupil, how much is enough? $15,000? $20,000? How about $50,000? It seems to me that $11,200 each and 30 students per classroom is roughly about $335,000. Do you really think there is a money problem in the public schools?

With regard to the "draconian" abortion laws, you do realize that Europe's laws are stricter than most states in America?

I'm personally pro-abortion myself. Notice I didn't say pro choice, I said pro-abortion. Most of those kids are being aborted are Democrats and people who are potentially on the public dole and as far as I'm concerned the fewer of them there are the better.
Putting a monetary value on educating the population is a big part of the problem in the first place. Let's be honest, a less educated public works to the advantage of Republicans, just like less minorities voting does, of which they have been working hard to make sure they do not.

Um, kids don't have political affiliation. That was a disgusting thing to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio