Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 02:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD614 View Post
Ohio spends $11,200 per pupil, how much is enough? $15,000? $20,000? How about $50,000? It seems to me that $11,200 each and 30 students per classroom is roughly about $335,000. Do you really think there is a money problem in the public schools?

With regard to the "draconian" abortion laws, you do realize that Europe's laws are stricter than most states in America?

I'm personally pro-abortion myself. Notice I didn't say pro choice, I said pro-abortion. Most of those kids are being aborted are Democrats and people who are potentially on the public dole and as far as I'm concerned the fewer of them there are the better.
I reported this.

It's one thing to have a political debate, but talking about killing children based on future perceived political belief is beyond disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Quote:
Okay then, leftists. How much is enough? You whine about Kasich's so-called "cuts" but you never say what's enough. So what is it? $15,000 a student? $30,000 a student? $100,000 a student? Since you can't put a price on an education why not make it a million dollars a student!

Money doesn't just appear. Respect the people who have to go and work everyday and take time away from their families to go out and earn it. What you waste is the blood of these people.

P.S. That defense budget people complain about is why we are a financial center in the world. People know they can put their money here and it will be safe. That puts more money in our pockets.
Kasich raised the sales tax and forced school districts and municipalities to boost real estate taxes by obliterating the local government fund.

Kasich plays a shell game that benefits the wealthy, burdens the middle class trying to maintain local services, and his supporters think he's doing a great job. Like other Republican governors, he's running for the Republican Presidential nomination, not boosting the welfare of the residents of Ohio.

BTW, you're the one saying there's waste in public school funding, but you apparently can't even discuss intelligently your own local district. You've earned no right to respect on this issue, nor to question other persons, let alone to belittle them. Disgusting IMO.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:22 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
Quote:
P.S. That defense budget people complain about is why we are a financial center in the world. People know they can put their money here and it will be safe. That puts more money in our pockets.
I can agree with this statement, but I think we can still have a strong military even if we cut defense spending in half. Plenty of other countries in the world are safe places to invest money, yet these countries spend much less on defense.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:59 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,149,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I can agree with this statement, but I think we can still have a strong military even if we cut defense spending in half. Plenty of other countries in the world are safe places to invest money, yet these countries spend much less on defense.
I don't think we can cut half, though I do agree that we need to stop wasting money warmongering around the world.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I reported this.

It's one thing to have a political debate, but talking about killing children based on future perceived political belief is beyond disgusting.
Who are you to tell me what opinion I can have and what I'm allowed to express? But then again, what do you expect from somebody who parks themselves in the left lane and slows up traffic up purpose? I'm allowed to have my own opinion on things and my opinion is pro abortion for the reasons stated and because I don't want to support any more fatherless children on the public dole anymore.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Default Kasich a jerk?

One of Ohio's most respected newspaper columnists says Kasich is a jerk.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich runs the risk of being perceived as a jerk: Brent Larkin | cleveland.com

Here's one memorable example of what Larkin was referencing:

Kasich in hot water after calling cop 'idiot' | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 07-05-2015, 11:13 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Even these more "glowing" articles refer to that issue.... he can be a big jerk. He doesn't please people, and he says what he wants.

How John Kasich could win
Is John Kasich Running for President? - The Atlantic

Old 07-05-2015, 03:20 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
I'm sort of wondering if he's just doing this to garner consideration on someone's ticket as VP?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Even these more "glowing" articles refer to that issue.... he can be a big jerk. He doesn't please people, and he says what he wants.

How John Kasich could win
Is John Kasich Running for President? - The Atlantic
... from an “inside” Washington perspective, I asked a former Congressman (name withheld by request) what he thought of Kasich’s presidential prospects since he knows Kasich well after serving with him for many years. His answer was, “He is a nice guy and has been a good governor, but he really is a total BS artist.”

To which I replied, “What could be a better skill for a president than BS artist?” And his reply was, “True, he fits the mold.”

Is John Kasich The Most Formidable 2016 GOP Candidate You Don

Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 PM

207 posts, read 339,202 times
"The Case for Kasich" Wall Street Journal 7/21/15

"John Kasich joined the Republican presidential cavalcade on Tuesday, making the candidate total 16. If primary voters are spoiled for choice, the Ohio Governor and former nine-term Congressman deserves some notice.

Opinion Journal Video
Best of the Web Columnist James Taranto on the Ohio Governor’s bid to win the GOP presidential nomination. Photo: Getty Images
Mr. Kasich has a capable record in the Buckeye State and as House Budget Chairman in the 1990s, as well as the potential to appeal across the GOP coalition. The question is whether he can overcome his political idiosyncracies and frequent self-control outages.

In 2010 Mr. Kasich narrowly unseated incumbent Democrat Ted Strickland to manage a former industrial powerhouse in crisis—the deficit hit $8 billion, the rainy-day fund had all of 89 cents and Ohio GDP had grown at a rounding error near 0% for a decade. An early effort to reform collective bargaining and curb public union power that was tougher than Scott Walker’s in Wisconsin was repealed in a landslide popular referendum. Yet Mr. Kasich won re-election in 2014 by 31 points, carrying 86 of Ohio’s 88 counties.

In a word, voters rewarded the results of Mr. Kasich’s pro-growth agenda. In 2014 the real Ohio economy grew by 2.1%, beating all the Great Lakes states—Indiana (0.4%), Illinois (1.2%), Michigan (1.9%) and Wisconsin (1%)—and neighbors Pennsylvania (1.8%) and Kentucky (1%). The jobless rate has fallen to 5.2% from 9.1% when Mr. Kasich took office, while median household income has climbed 1.3% versus 0.6% nationally. The state fisc is now running a surplus.

The Ohio economy has been lifted by a surge in high-tech jobs and the fracking boom in the Marcellus and Utica shales in eastern Ohio, but Mr. Kasich’s policies also deserve credit. In a series of across-the-board tax cuts, he has lowered the top marginal income tax rate to 4.9% from 6.2% in 2011. Mr. Kasich modernized the arthritic Ohio bureaucracy and his regulatory reforms have improved state competitiveness.

All of this will be familiar from Mr. Kasich’s career in the House, where he was a key Newt Gingrich ally and his early budget work with Minnesota Democrat Tim Penny changed the terms of the fiscal debate. He was a leader on welfare reform and helped engineer the 1997 balanced-budget agreement.

Less consistent with this resume is Mr. Kasich’s 2013 decision to participate in ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion. When Republicans in the Ohio legislature tried to block this gambit, Mr. Kasich imposed new Medicaid unilaterally through an executive panel.

He then became the leading Republican evangelist for ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion and accused anyone who disagreed with him of bad faith—literally. As the Governor often put it, when you get to the pearly gates St. Peter won’t ask you what you did to keep government small but he will ask you what you did to help the less fortunate.

If increasing the reach of federal health care is the ticket into heaven, then the Almighty is selling at a discount. Medicaid’s quality of care, access to physicians and outcomes continue to decline. Meanwhile, Medicaid spending will consume 49% of Ohio general revenue funds in 2016, 51% in 2017. Yet Mr. Kasich often says that national Republicans who care about such details are waging “a war on the poor.”

Mr. Kasich’s badgering moralizing is one of his less attractive qualities, and his unfiltered streams of political consciousness—he told kids not to use drugs in an aside in his announcement speech Tuesday—may get him into trouble on the trail.

His staff includes the strategists John Weaver and Fred Davis, alumni of the Jon Huntsman ’12 and John McCain ’00 campaigns, who specialize in getting Republican candidates to run as non-Republicans. If Mr. Kasich is also running to lecture Republicans about everything they’re wrong about, he’ll lose too, and he might as well pack it in now.

Then again, no Republican has ever won the White House without carrying the swing state of Ohio, and perhaps Mr. Kasich can take his Buckeye successes national. He’s more likely to find an audience if he underscores his record and economic ideas rather than his moral superiority."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio