Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,303,677 times

Advertisements

First of all -- Congrats on your teams victory! I can assure you all of Ohio was rooting for you -- the bars in Cleveland were PACKED every game. Last night, the bar I was at started giving away free drinks after Dallas won in celebration.

Now this just came out this morning from Ohio's Governor, it is it serious--no joke! This shows how passionate Cleveland and Ohio is about their sports:

http://governor.ohio.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=lveQuvgwy7Q%3D&tabid=74

Here's the website this is from:

Governor of Ohio, John Kasich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,613,419 times
omg that is too awesome!!! Thanks for the congrats! It has definitely been a great feeling for us down here. Can't wait til next week's parade and celebration!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,235,056 times
Everyone should send a copy of the PDF, registered mail to ol' w'atsiss name.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,034,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
First of all -- Congrats on your teams victory! I can assure you all of Ohio was rooting for you -- the bars in Cleveland were PACKED every game. Last night, the bar I was at started giving away free drinks after Dallas won in celebration.

Now this just came out this morning from Ohio's Governor, it is it serious--no joke! This shows how passionate Cleveland and Ohio is about their sports:

http://governor.ohio.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=lveQuvgwy7Q%3D&tabid=74

Here's the website this is from:

Governor of Ohio, John Kasich

I think that it has more to do with their hatred of Lebron James (a Cleveland native). He left them for the highfallutin hoes and glitz of south beach. They have not forgiven him for that. Notice the "whereas" paragraph where it states that Dirk has remained in the team that he has grown up in- an obvious stab at the "chosen one".

Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I think that it has more to do with their hatred of Lebron James (a Cleveland native). He left them for the highfallutin hoes and glitz of south beach. They have not forgiven him for that. Notice the "whereas" paragraph where it states that Dirk has remained in the team that he has grown up in- an obvious stab at the "chosen one".

Sorry but this is ridiculous. You're telling me that the governor of Ohio has nothing better to do than take shots at an ATHLETE of all people? Look fans, players are going to make decisions that they feel are in their best interests. Nothing more, nothing less. Let's face it, if Lebron had torn up his knee whilst still with the Cavs, you think the fans and the governor would have given two rats butts about him after the Cavs cut him? HECK NO!!! They all would have shrugged their shoulders and moved on to the next hot thing coming out of the draft. Lebron would have been kicked to the curb and left to rot. Thus he has to do what's best for him and to heck with the fans. Period. Now you can argue that the way he went about leaving was tacky with the hour long tv program and the dancing, and I'll agree, but the fact that he chose to leave Cleveland is perfectly fine, as much as it would hurt Cavs fans, such is life. Get over it.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,045,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Sorry but this is ridiculous. You're telling me that the governor of Ohio has nothing better to do than take shots at an ATHLETE of all people? Look fans, players are going to make decisions that they feel are in their best interests. Nothing more, nothing less. Let's face it, if Lebron had torn up his knee whilst still with the Cavs, you think the fans and the governor would have given two rats butts about him after the Cavs cut him? HECK NO!!! They all would have shrugged their shoulders and moved on to the next hot thing coming out of the draft. Lebron would have been kicked to the curb and left to rot. Thus he has to do what's best for him and to heck with the fans. Period. Now you can argue that the way he went about leaving was tacky with the hour long tv program and the dancing, and I'll agree, but the fact that he chose to leave Cleveland is perfectly fine, as much as it would hurt Cavs fans, such is life. Get over it.
I agree & Dallas fans need not look any further than their own backyard...*ahem*...Cowboys fans.

Even though Lebron may be a tity baby he has the right to go where ever he wants to go & play for whom ever he wants to play & face the criticism that follows, but enough is enough jeez. Cleveland is a nothing city in a nothing state & I'd wanna leave there too for warmer places if I were him.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-13-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,303,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Now you can argue that the way he went about leaving was tacky with the hour long tv program and the dancing, and I'll agree, but the fact that he chose to leave Cleveland is perfectly fine, as much as it would hurt Cavs fans, such is life. Get over it.
Umm...but that's the thing. Cleveland didn't hate Lebron because he left, it was the way he did it. Too quote USAToday: "When you make a spectacle of yourself and give the impression you're above everyone else, as James did with his shockingly tone-deaf live TV free-agent decision last offseason, you have to back it up." Prime example: Zydrunas Ilgauskas left last year but held no hour long special and even took a full page ad out in the Cleveland paper thanking fans for his years here. He was cheered when he returned to Cleveland.

Lebron was a homegrown boy too, from Akron, OH...maybe it'd be like if Colt McCoy would have transferred to Oklahoma, USC, or Florida his sophomore year and waited for a national audience to do so...I assumed Dallas and Texas were a hardcore sports area and would understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Cleveland is a nothing city in a nothing state & I'd wanna leave there too for warmer places if I were him.
WOW...have you ever even been to my hometown? Well I thought you guys would have thought it humorous that Ohio's Governor signed something someone put on his desk honoring Dallas.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,803,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
WOW...have you ever even been to my hometown? Well I thought you guys would have thought it humorous that Ohio's Governor signed something someone put on his desk honoring Dallas.
He doesnt live in Dallas (so please don't think he speaks for people in this city) and I personally found that last comment he made offensive. I've been to Cleveland several time for work and my experience has always been positive. I found the people very nice, the bars we went to had a nice neighborhood feel, and the food was good. I personally couldn't live there because of the cold, but I found the governors gesture funny. It's an obvious slap at LeBron, but he had it coming because of how he left.

One thing I will say is that the people in Dallas took note of the support the Mavs got from Cleveland. There was some sort of commradery for this series.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,554,522 times
I thought it was hilarious, thanks for sharing it! I posted it at my office and my coworkers enjoyed it too.

And personally, I think we'd all be a lot better off if our politicians took themselves less seriously!! They'd probably waste less money...

Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,045,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
He doesnt live in Dallas (so please don't think he speaks for people in this city) and I personally found that last comment he made offensive. I've been to Cleveland several time for work and my experience has always been positive. I found the people very nice, the bars we went to had a nice neighborhood feel, and the food was good. I personally couldn't live there because of the cold, but I found the governors gesture funny. It's an obvious slap at LeBron, but he had it coming because of how he left.

One thing I will say is that the people in Dallas took note of the support the Mavs got from Cleveland. There was some sort of commradery for this series.
Comeback City?

The City of Cleveland has gone from almost the size of Dallas to about the size of Arlington, Texas in 50 years! It has gained ZERO population & negative quite an astonishing percent.

Sure it may be special to the people who live there & grew up there, but no thanks I'd wanna get the hell outta Dodge too just like Lebron did.

Clevelanders took this way too much to heart. This type of thing happens in professional sports all the time. Get used to it already & stop sucking your thumbs.

Lebron could have shown more maturity about the loss to the Mavericks though.

Dallas becoming "honorary Clevlanders" will go down as nothing more than one of those wacky moments in sports history. Most people will forget it ever happened, & few people outside of the Dallas circle of fans could probably not even tell you who won the NBA championship 2 or 3 years from now.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-14-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas