Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,045,983 times

Advertisements

^ And what are you really trying to say? Your defensive response adds no new thinking to the evolution of "CIN-DAY."

Therefore, why don't you give up needless reservations about SW Ohio's monumental transformation into the"Aero-Space corridor"? Both you and Cbus will survive this, so please come celebrate our success.

Last edited by motorman; 06-03-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ And what are you really trying to say? Your defensive response adds no new thinking to the evolution of "CIN-DAY."

Therefore, why don't you give up needless reservations about SW Ohio's monumental transformation into the"Aero-Space corridor"? Both you and Cbus will survive this, so please come celebrate our success.
Neither does trying to force something to be true that isn't, but here we are yet again.

Aerospace corridor? If that were really true, I'd say congrats, because unlike some, I don't hold some weird grudge against another place in Ohio. I honestly want Cincinnati and Dayton to do well. You would never offer the same sentiment to Columbus, but hey, this is what makes us different.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:51 PM

465 posts, read 662,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Neither does trying to force something to be true that isn't, but here we are yet again.

Aerospace corridor? If that were really true, I'd say congrats, because unlike some, I don't hold some weird grudge against another place in Ohio. I honestly want Cincinnati and Dayton to do well. You would never offer the same sentiment to Columbus, but hey, this is what makes us different.
The US government now calls it the Cincinnati-Dayton Aerospace corridor and has awarded companies, cities universities and others in the region access to a large line of funding to develop the industry even more, including money to area universities for aerospace research and aerospace industry job training, to private companies to create internships and further their R&D. The region already houses more than 400 aerospace related companies, was the home of the Wright brothers' workshop and has been in the Aerospace biz continuously since, but hey, you say it's untrue, so we'll just take your word for it instead.

CINCINNATI: SW Ohio among 12 named Manufacturing Communities | Business | Kentucky.com

Btw, just for the record, I don't think it's a good idea for the cities to divorce from each other or the state, I'd much rather they work with each other on their mutual issues

Old 06-03-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
The US government now calls it the Cincinnati-Dayton Aerospace corridor and has awarded companies, cities universities and others in the region access to a large line of funding to develop the industry even more, including money to area universities for aerospace research and aerospace industry job training, to private companies to create internships and further their R&D. The region already houses more than 400 aerospace related companies, was the home of the Wright brothers' workshop and has been in the Aerospace biz continuously since, but hey, you say it's untrue, so we'll just take your word for it instead.

CINCINNATI: SW Ohio among 12 named Manufacturing Communities | Business | Kentucky.com

Btw, just for the record, I don't think it's a good idea for the cities to divorce from each other or the state, I'd much rather they work with each other on their mutual issues
I didn't say it was untrue, I just have never heard that before until just now. You'll have to forgive me to some degree. Motorman has a history of saying things that aren't exactly on the up and up. But in all honesty, I think it's a great thing.

That still doesn't make them a single metro

Old 06-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Oh, but you don't know that I already do...

OSU speaks for itself.
For a university anywhere in our nation, it's awesome and enviable. (Even in long-ago 1963-64, when I was a student there on both the 7th floor of Stradley Hall and, one year later, 11th St., it was all that!)

Next, the Short North, Arena District, and German Village... I'm fascinated by what's happening in all of these urban-neighborhoods, but then my interests in Cbus includes more things than these three...

Next, the well-heeled Columbus periphery, mostly Dublin and New Albany, but also more. Although I no longer travel to such affluent suburbs (namely because of both my retirement and income), years ago I nevertheless routinely drove through these communities (and more, especially Gahanna near the airport) delivering corrugated boxes from Franklin, Ohio. And I really enjoyed such forays into and around the center city and the encompassing I-270 loop that made all my large box-truck travel easy. So many times (even late in the evening) I would routinely deliver corrugated boxes to Upper Sandusky, Ohio, but then have other smaller deliveries in Delaware and ex-burbs of Cbus. (And I enjoyed them all, so long as I didn't have to return to my beloved wife in Franklin, Oh. during the wee hours of the next morning.)

Next, the Cbus "downtown." Honestly, absolutely nothing special about it then to be envied by Cincy--but again, that was then, well over a decade ago...

Last edited by motorman; 06-03-2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM

465 posts, read 662,019 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was untrue, I just have never heard that before until just now. You'll have to forgive me to some degree. Motorman has a history of saying things that aren't exactly on the up and up. But in all honesty, I think it's a great thing.

That still doesn't make them a single metro
Okay. I'll definitely grant you that for now, albeit given housing construction patterns and this new funding I think it's inevitable now that the CIN-DAY metros will blend together in the next ten to twenty years, whether it will be enough for the census bureau to merge them is another question. I'm guessing what happens, possibly as soon as 2020, is that they reconfigure the CSA to include Cincy-Dayton, but not the MSA.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Oh, but you don't know that I already do...

OSU speaks for itself. For a university anywhere in our nation, it's awesome and enviable. (Even in long-ago 1963-64, when I was a student there on both the 7th floor of Stradley Hall and, one year later, 11th St., it was all that!)

Next, the Short North, Arena District, and German Village... I'm fascinated by what's happening in all of these urban-neighborhoods, but then my interests in Cbus includes more things than these three...

Next, the well-heeled Columbus periphery, mostly Dublin and New Albany, but also more. Although I no longer travel to such affluent suburbs (namely because of both my retirement and income), years ago I nevertheless routinely drove through these communities (and more, especially Gahanna near the airport) delivering corrugated boxes from Franklin, Ohio. And I really enjoyed such forays into and around the center city and the encompassing I-270 loop that made all my large box-truck travel easy. So many times (even late in the evening) I would routinely deliver corrugated boxes to Upper Sandusky, Ohio, but then have other smaller deliveries in Delaware and ex-burbs of Cbus. (And I enjoyed them all, so long as I didn't have to return to my beloved wife in Franklin, Oh. during the wee hours of the next morning.)

Next, the Cbus "downtown." Honestly, absolutely nothing special about it then to be envied by Cincy--but again, that was then, well over a decade ago...
You know this all seems a bit contrived when you had to be called out for it first.

In any case, it seems that while your view of Columbus is literally decades old, I'm not even sure that it matters much. It just doesn't change your vast posting history on the subject. The evidence is there on what you really think.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You know this all seems a bit contrived when you had to be called out for it first.

In any case, it seems that while your view of Columbus is literally decades old, I'm not even sure that it matters much. It just doesn't change your vast posting history on the subject. The evidence is there on what you really think.
You're coming on far too strong and personal ever since this thread didn't develop in ways that support your own narrative--and especially after you realized that it was you, more than anyone else, who was "being called out" for his comments.

Last edited by motorman; 06-04-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
You're coming on far too strong and personal ever since this thread didn't develop in ways that support your own narrative--and especially after you realized that it was you, more than anyone else, who was "being called out" for his comments.
I generally find this thread hilarious and kind of sad. I see a bunch of people who seem to be infested with bitterness because a city in their state threatens their comfortable view that their respective cities are far superior.

Incidentally, Aaron Renn had a particularly nasty remark to a Cincinnati poster on his site the other day that had wider implications for this very thread.

Here it is:

Matthew, has it ever occurred to you that the reason Cincinnati as been in relative decline versus the rest of the country for 150 years now is because of the ridiculous arrogance about how great the city is held by all too many of its residents, of which you are Exhibit A? You are nothing but a propaganda machine for Cincinnati. And obviously an insecure one as well since you can’t let it drop at just boasting about your own city, you feel the need to tear down other places too. Cincinnati is never going to reach any of its legitimate potential if its residents all think like you. You’d be better off focusing on making Cincinnati better and addressing its actual problems instead of just posting your talking points about how Columbus sucks, Cincinnati rules.

The last half of the comment is really what could be applied to most of the posters in this thread. So much energy hating on Columbus. If even half of that was channeled into being positive about your own city and it's potential, perhaps you would never have to be concerned about Columbus' success again. You'd have enough of your own. But perhaps these attitudes are simply too ingrained in the local cultures now. The narrative now is that either Columbus has to fail, or everyone else does. What a telling statement that really is.

But I can't imagine any of this will actually register on here.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:04 AM

^ For you, absolutely any slight against Columbus initiates a new and angry, life-and-death struggle. (This is just another one of them.)

Last edited by motorman; 06-04-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio