Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM

383 posts, read 514,113 times

Advertisements

After reading post after post of infighting from people located in the three C's, I am discouraged that Ohio may never be able catch back up to the rest of the country. Ohio's situation seems unique in that the close proximity of the three C's has done more to hurt Ohio than help it.
Each of the three C's has grown in a different era and are unique from each other. This uniqueness should be an asset and not a hinderance.
This of course is easier said on a forum than implementing in real life.
I don't know where this connection starts, is it a centrally located airport CMH with connections to CLE, CVG, DAY, TOL, YNG CAK. with international service. I am not trying to boost CMH just looking at it's location geographically. We have nearly 12 million people and only one European flight.
I know each C is proud of it's past and it's future outlook but I hate how many people tend to look down upon the other cities. This is not unique to Ohio but I think it is magnified in a state with above average metro sizes, all located in a relatively short drive.
Maybe this is over my head and Ohio is doing the best it can because each city is only interested in itself. To me it seems like Ohio should be striving for stronger Ohio regionalism. I think this is the only way to bring Ohio back in the eyes of the rest of the country.
Ohio is my home and I like to promote it as much as I can. We have been looked down upon for a while now and I am not sure if we are helping the cause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,258,986 times
I'm not sure the very relative few on these forums are a representation of anything on a larger scale. As for regionalism, here in Cincinnati, there are way too many fiefdoms and a huge, disgusting suburb / city divide that (IMO) has held the region back to a marked degree. Not sure we will ever see it here, though I am in strong favor of it.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,110,414 times
I don't think you should take what happens here as reality. The 3-Cs are FAR more complimentary in real life than some of the posters here would like to believe. That said, real ways in which they could be better connected? How about actually building HSR between them? A dedicated tourism spot that includes representatives from all of Ohio's major cities?CMH is planning to add a 2nd terminal, but it's probably never going to be a major airport draw, especially internationally. It will likely remain a regional airport. The only way that might change is with a huge amount of state investment into a new international airport such as the one Denver built. I don't see that happening. And if it was built in Columbus, there would be massive complaints that there was favoritism to the capital. It's not really a win-win. All in all, I don't think Ohio is all that much different from other states that have more than 1 major city.
Also, what is up with the site today? All my posts are jammed together even after editing.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'm not sure the very relative few on these forums are a representation of anything on a larger scale. As for regionalism, here in Cincinnati, there are way too many fiefdoms and a huge, disgusting suburb / city divide that (IMO) has held the region back to a marked degree. Not sure we will ever see it here, though I am in strong favor of it.
Yeah, Cincinnati definitely seems to have the biggest fight between the city and its suburbs. You don't see that kind of thing nearly as much in Cleveland or Columbus.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,258,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, Cincinnati definitely seems to have the biggest fight between the city and its suburbs. You don't see that kind of thing nearly as much in Cleveland or Columbus.
As you well know, it's pretty nasty and divided along political lines that COAST and others excacerbate. The following link is an older write up on things: The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Cincinnati vs. Cincinnati

Old 10-29-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
As you well know, it's pretty nasty and divided along political lines that COAST and others excacerbate. The following link is an older write up on things: The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Cincinnati vs. Cincinnati
Yeah, I've read that before. Reading the comments again, I had to laugh at this one from the author, Aaron Renn: "Say anything that might suggest that Cincinnati is anything but self-evidently a class above other regional cities like Indy and Columbus and you might get your head chopped off." That's basically the attitude from some of the Cincy posters here. The divide exists more than just urban vs. suburban, but in native vs. non-native and provincial vs. not.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:27 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,499,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
After reading post after post of infighting from people located in the three C's, I am discouraged that Ohio may never be able catch back up to the rest of the country. Ohio's situation seems unique in that the close proximity of the three C's has done more to hurt Ohio than help it.
Each of the three C's has grown in a different era and are unique from each other. This uniqueness should be an asset and not a hinderance.
This of course is easier said on a forum than implementing in real life.
I don't know where this connection starts, is it a centrally located airport CMH with connections to CLE, CVG, DAY, TOL, YNG CAK. with international service. I am not trying to boost CMH just looking at it's location geographically. We have nearly 12 million people and only one European flight.
I know each C is proud of it's past and it's future outlook but I hate how many people tend to look down upon the other cities. This is not unique to Ohio but I think it is magnified in a state with above average metro sizes, all located in a relatively short drive.
Maybe this is over my head and Ohio is doing the best it can because each city is only interested in itself. To me it seems like Ohio should be striving for stronger Ohio regionalism. I think this is the only way to bring Ohio back in the eyes of the rest of the country.
Ohio is my home and I like to promote it as much as I can. We have been looked down upon for a while now and I am not sure if we are helping the cause?
This doesn't mean anything. Even if everyone in each respective C hated the other cities and only cared about their city, it wouldn't matter. I'm not sure how people from cities can "work together." Just being friends doesn't do anything. Besides, the vast majority of posters on here like the other cities, even if they prefer one. A lot of us have family and friends all over Ohio. I think you completely misread that other thread. Just because there are a few irrational people out there, that doesn't mean anything in a state of 11.5 MILLION.

If you think the cities are only acting to help themselves, that's more of a political issue. And you know what, the leaders of Cleveland SHOULD only care about Cleveland. The leaders of Cincinnati SHOULD only care about Cincinnati. State government needs to oversee the big picture.

Besides, I've seen a lot of regionalism in Northeast Ohio, from the Cleveland Plus people, who view the big picture from Canton-Akron-Cleveland-Youngstown and everything in between.

Also, there aren't rivalries like this in other states because most other states only have 1 big city that is worth mentioning. Ohio has the good fortune of having more than 1 option if you want to live a decent urban life.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:00 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,141,546 times
The problem is that Ohio is really divided, and these 3 cities are only together because of arbitrary state boundaries. Cleveland has much more in common with Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburgh than Columbus or Cincinnati. Columbus has more in common with Indianapolis, Madison, or Minneapolis than Cleveland or Cincinnati. Cincinnati has more in common with Louisville, Lexington, Nashville, and Memphis than Cleveland or Columbus. 3 cities, all with big cultural differences all stuck together in the same state. It's like a bad sitcom.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,591,881 times
Other than high speed rail, there's not really anything they can work on together that would help them out. What they really need is something to make it a destination for people. Cleveland and Cincinnati are getting better at that, Columbus could use a little work.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,034,453 times
Maybe we could begin by: (a) CLEVE giving CBUS its lake; (b) CINCY giving CLEVE its river; (c) CBUS giving CINCY its governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio