Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 11,301 times

Advertisements

We moved to Newark, Oh two years ago and like it. We find many small towns in this area are nice. Millersport, Utica, are two we like. Just look and you will find what you want in this central ohio area.

BettylouO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 14,321 times
thanks everyone for your help... looking for something in the country for critters...again, thanks....

Old 06-18-2007, 02:09 AM

4 posts, read 19,429 times
I moved to the Central Ohio region about 8 years ago and regret it every single day.

Ohio is a very depressing state: with is extremely high unemployment, its masses of poor people, its low education levels, it horrendous air, water and land pollution problems, its cloudy and humid weather, and so on.

Ohio really is one state to avoid if at all possible.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 AM

34 posts, read 181,183 times
Do you mean small town cozy or small town rural? Grandview Hts is a suburb of Columbus and it's wonderful. Very few chain restaurants, a co-op garden, smaller homes, a main strip with independent owned theater, coffee house, ice cream. It's about 10 minutes from downtown Columbus which is a nice city: a blend of sports, art and family values. So if you are looking for something quaint and a little hip, you should check out Grandview. It's also very dog friendly.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 23,672 times
Unhappy lost in ohio

hi everyone,
I live in Dayton, and want to move so badly. I have two 10 year old children that I do not want to finish raising here. High crime rate, drugs on every corner, and it seems the violence is worse than anywhere else I have lived. Schools are real bad, too. Cuts in academics and teachers makes it that much worse. Like many of you, I would love to move someplace in Ohio that is much more easy going, but also have access to the city. I thought about moving, possibly between Akron and Cleveland, or maybe Mount Vernon area. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking for apartments, but I'm open to all options at this point. My children and I love snow, so going south is not of interest to us. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. We are trying to move before the school year starts again.
Thanks to all who respond.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 AM

4 posts, read 19,429 times
lizohio:

If you cannot move out of Ohio altogether, then move to Licking County which is located east of Columbus.

This area, unlike most of Ohio, is poised to grow in the very near future with the completition of Hwy 161 to Granville.

Do not move too close to Franklin County (which includes Columbus) because you will run into gang problems and crime - everything that you want to avoid.

Do not move to Newark because it is a city in decline.

Move to places Heath, Granville, Hebron, Etna and other nearby areas.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,431 times
If you're looking for a small, friendly, historical town, check out Lisbon, Ohio. About 45 miles south of Youngstown, Ohio. Close to Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Population approx. 2700. Good school but limited employment at this time. Second oldest town in Ohio.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 PM

843 posts, read 2,746,846 times
I grew up around Marietta, which is in the southeast region of Ohio at the confluence of the rivers Ohio and Muskingum. It was the first organized settlement in the Northwest Territories. Population is around 14,000 but it's just down the road from Parkersburg, WV (30-35k) which is where some of the jobs come from. There is a real small-town feel but a community bond when it comes to helping each other out or gathering for festivities downtown.

Marietta is home to the Sternwheel Festival where paddle boats and sternwheelers from all over the US congregate along the banks of the Ohio between Marietta and Williamstown, WV.

Marietta College is a highly regarded institution with one of the best petroleum programs in all of the world, as well as one of the best AAA baseball teams in the US each year. Washington State Community College is in Marietta, Ohio University is 30 minutes away in Athens (many people make that commute daily), Ohio Valley College is 15 minutes away in Parkersburg, WV, and WVU-Parkersburg is 15 minutes away so there are plenty of educational opportunities.

Marietta is also home to Rossi Pasta. The world famous Fenton Art Glass is blown right across the river in Williamstown, WV and the equally famous Lee Middleton Doll factory is down the road in Belpre, OH.

Marietta/Belpre/Parkersburg was setting for the movie Bubble, the movie Salvage, and is being filmed in a new movie from the Crooks brothers.

It's a small town so there are claims from the younger folk of "nothing to do" but as someone who's traveled the US and half of the world, I find solace in the laid back environment of the Mid-Ohio Valley.

Even George Washington himself claimed to know of no better place to live!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:50 PM

14 posts, read 78,219 times
Red face Looking As Well

I have been looking into South east Ohio and northwestern WV for the perfect small town. I have actually been to Marietta years ago and it was very friendly there. Since my husband is a glassblower we could benefit from buying a property with a gas well (We have to run the glass furnace on natural gas) I am looking in these areas. Ohio forum seems more depressing to me in general and WV forum everyone loves the friendly people there so much. What are the pros and cons of small town living in Ohio??? I home school my kids and we are used to rural living. I don't want my kids to feel I moved them to a depressing place. They are such great kids they make friends wherever we go....they love seniors and babies so their ability to enjoy anyone's company is unlimited. I haven't compared the home school laws of Ohio to WV yet. In Illinois they are very easy on Home schoolers. Anyone have advice for me on great small towns let me know. Really small is fine with me we ship out our glass so I don't need to be near any galleries or art areas. I have lived in a small town all my life and the big city of CHICAGO is now encroaching on my little town in it's ever expanding sprawl of gang bangers. Yucko to any big cities they are not my cup of tea!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
I am curious as to what kind of small town Willard has turned in to. My parents came to CA from Willard when they were very young. We used to go see my grandparents every summer to see the farm. I loved those visits and can still smell the hay and corn in the barn. It was such beautiful land and the town was very cute. Loved the little ice creme parlor and going for a root beer float.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio