Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,415 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to move into Warren, Ohio. Any information you could give me would be great. I am looking in the NW and NE sections. I have heard Warren has a high crime rate. I live in a large city now. What is the sales tax? Is it on everything you buy? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 PM

976 posts, read 3,862,330 times
Warren is really a nice city. Doing so much better than it's sister city Youngstown. Crime is really not too bad in Warren. They have built brand new schools, and there is quite a bit of entertainment nearby. The Eastwood Mall just went through a couple million in new construction. Warren is not a bad city to live in at all. I have no idea on the sales tax though.

City website:
http://www.warren.org/

Old 12-17-2006, 03:22 PM

88 posts, read 372,085 times
Default Stats?

How about some personal stats...and a storyline behind the REAL reason you're considering Ohio...Then , someone could offer an intelligent resolution to your dilemna...not backbiting and 1/2 truths.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,411 times
where in the Hamilton area is best? We are considering a post there and wish to find a nice community where we can walk to our needs(small) but within 1/2 hour travel time to hamilton?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
not backbiting and 1/2 truths
Please, where are the half truths? You seem to be starting a lot of problems as far as trying to start conflicts on here go.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:15 PM

27 posts, read 143,683 times
Default What about Warren Ohio?

Hi everyone, There are so many of you with such good information. I was wondering about Warren Ohio. I'm leaving Washington State after school is out. I need to find a less expensive state to live in. I've been looking around for inexpensive real estate, perhaps a fixer upper, but it's really hard to know where to go when you've never been there. Traveling with me are two school teachers and two teen girls. So it would be nice to find a place that needs teachers, and where the girls would have good schools. I found a fixer upper in Howland Township somewhere around Warren. But right now I've not a clue to what the area is like. I would be grateful for any information anyone can share. Thanking you so much-Wionee

Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 PM

Warren is not a bad city at all. Howland Township is very nice. Howland is a nice town right by the Ohio-Pennsylvania border. If you want to live in the suburbs check out Niles and Cortland as well.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 13,920 times
I live about 10 miles north of Circleville and I love it. I am close to both Circleville and Columbus and my child goes to Teays Valley Schools, which is a very good school system. The housing is fairly priced and the people are nice. Happy searching and good luck :-D

Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,806 times
Quote:
where in the Hamilton area is best? We are considering a post there and wish to find a nice community where we can walk to our needs(small) but within 1/2 hour travel time to hamilton?
Hamilton area is pretty suburban now, particularly the area to the east and south.

For true small towns out in the country...well...two towns north of Hamilton that I think are quaint are Camden, which is pretty small, but pleasantly located in a wide valley, and Oxford, which is a college town and home of Miami Universtiy.

Also north, but maybe too far, is Germantown, of which there is a thread on this board. Germantown is my favorite small town in the Dayton-Cincinnati area. I think you might be able to swing a 1/2 commute from Germantown, too, but Oxford and Camden might be the more direct route.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:17 PM

79 posts, read 333,740 times
Cool Warren, Howland, Niles

Wionee-

It's a good area as far as retail (Eastwood Mall, newly renovated and Southern Park Mall not too far away), food (great local Italian, Greek, and Slovak menus), and entertanment (local university campuses offer theater, standard movie venues, and indoor sports complexes).

As far as education goes... it's lacking, but that's my opinion of the entire state of ohio. As someone who graduated with a teaching degree and have numerous friends in the same profession, I would say that about 1 in 20 licensed teachers are actually hired by local districts. THIS IS NOT AN AREA I WOULD SUGGEST MOVING TO IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO TEACH. Many just end up in substituting for 4 or more years before landing a job.

As far as real estate, it's dirt cheap in most of Warren, but even if you fix it up- I'd venture to say it would be hard to sell. I would look at Howland (it's a township of Warren) or maybe Mineral Ridge, Niles, Cortland or Girard if you want resale value to the property.

As far as the snowbelt goes, it basically peters out by the time you reach the Warren area. Now I'm not saying we don't get snow... but it's not like Chardon or Ashtabula!

I grew up in Niles and still have family ALL around the area. Currently live in North Canton and love every minute of it! Feel free to message me if there's a question I haven't asnwered.

Last edited by trtlflwrs; 01-05-2007 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio