Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 12:40 PM

155 posts, read 131,852 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking to get a new place and I noticed boulevard vi being built near me. I am single and don't have any plans to move out of Fairfax area. I have a few questions for good people here..especially home owners:

1. Is the price around her going to go up? The price for 2 bed 2 bath is mid 400s, 2 bed 2 br den 500s and 3 bed bath mid 600s from their info. Are these price considered what to expect or cheaper or more expensive?

2. Is it better to plan further? Initially I thought 2 bed 2 bath should be good but friend said to consider 3 bed 3 br for future with family and kid...not sure if that's way far ahead? But I am in a relationship so maybe not that far?

3. Any optional upgrades worth considering or they are all overpriced? I am more for longevity and utilization. So if I have to use something e.g. fridge a lot then I want it to be " the best" so to speak. I am not sure if buying my own is even an option since I am sure whatever I find will be better bang for buck than what they have...

Any other advice? Or wait for other development areas around Fairfax? I did notice Alexandria but thats a bit far since I work in Chantilly...
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 06:12 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Hello, I really cannot answer your questions as I am not that familiar with the project. If I were to live outside of the beltway I like that area.

I looked for some info but the info I could find is scarce and most of the information you have provided to me is meaningless.

Like 2 bed 2 bath around mid $400K could be a great deal if it is 2,000 square feet, 3 parking spaces and a $100 a month condo fee with internet and utilities included. But if it is 2 bed 2 bath in mid $400K region with 700 sq feet, no assigned parking and a $600 a month condo fee not so much.

When you get to the $600K area you may look to wait to see if the market cools down and then look at houses or town houses.

There are a lot of variable. Regardless in something like this have a serious look at the parking is something I would do because it is not that close to mass transit.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:50 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,229 times
I haven’t seen any single family homes at $400k in Fairfax City since the last no updated home on Roberts Rd sold last year. I’m assuming you are looking at condos or condo-townhouses? Those are selling incredibly well. The project is a great location and will
Likely be finished very nicely.

https://www.boulevardvi.com/

When you look at the prices overall in Fairfax City, they are lower than the surrounding areas like Vienna and Falls Church. To me, that means they are slightly more affordable (lol) and you get more house for your money. Other people don’t like the school ratings as much.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 PM

I should have been clearer but yes condos. I am not sure about houses since it might be high maintenance and i like new stuff...don't have kids and worrying about school will probably be 10+ years down the road even if i have a kid now lol. Yes the place is cheaper.

I did check that parking is included and condo fee is 200 to 600 depending on the size...which is weird since I doubt they clean the rooms? They do sell fast thats for sure since I have seen many developments in the area come and go. I don't care for metro either since I have to drive to Chantilly.

One thing is I don't know if playing waiting game with this is viable? I feel if what the person said is true, prices will go up as purchase increases. But I also though with covid, would prices go down if less people buy?

Old 10-19-2020, 06:40 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioil View Post

2. Is it better to plan further? Initially I thought 2 bed 2 bath should be good but friend said to consider 3 bed 3 br for future with family and kid...not sure if that's way far ahead? But I am in a relationship so maybe not that far?

Don't plan for a potential future family in a condo...if you get married and start a family, you'll be looking at a townhouse or SFH, not remaining in a condo. Trust me.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Don't plan for a potential future family in a condo...if you get married and start a family, you'll be looking at a townhouse or SFH, not remaining in a condo. Trust me.
I would get a larger unit for resale, not family. The larger unit should increase more and from my experience 1 BR's are harder to sell.

OP, the problem is will the prices increase or not and nobody can tell you that now. My online house estimates using online sights have gone up around 20% in the last 5 months. I would love to believe that is a real increase but I highly doubt it. You could be buying at the peak of a bubble and then could end up underwater.

I would look for a single family home around Chantilly. The research would not hurt you. You should at least know what you could get for the same amount of money.

Also it looks like there may be only one way in and out of that development and I do not go though that area of 50 much but the traffic can be terribad.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I would get a larger unit for resale, not family. The larger unit should increase more and from my experience 1 BR's are harder to sell.

OP, the problem is will the prices increase or not and nobody can tell you that now. My online house estimates using online sights have gone up around 20% in the last 5 months. I would love to believe that is a real increase but I highly doubt it. You could be buying at the peak of a bubble and then could end up underwater.

I would look for a single family home around Chantilly. The research would not hurt you. You should at least know what you could get for the same amount of money.

Also it looks like there may be only one way in and out of that development and I do not go though that area of 50 much but the traffic can be terribad.
Hmm Chantilly might not be ideal because I like to be closer to Tyson and dc... I know Chantilly also had a bunch of condos for sale recently...
Thing with single home is many are older builds and I don't know it makes sense for me to get one atm...I know I would in the future when I have a family though... should I wait it out then?

Old 10-20-2020, 11:10 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Timing the real estate market is like timing the stock market, it can't be done.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:18 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Hmm Chantilly might not be ideal because I like to be closer to Tyson and dc... I know Chantilly also had a bunch of condos for sale recently...
Thing with single home is many are older builds and I don't know it makes sense for me to get one atm...I know I would in the future when I have a family though... should I wait it out then?
When you buy a place, be it a condo, townhouse or single family home, would you expect to have friends visit you on a regular basis? The reason I ask is that often times single people will set out to buy their first homes only to discover that they have to move further out in order to find a place they can afford.

For example, we sold our house in Sterling about 3 years ago. The buyer was a young, single man in his late 20s. He had been living with his parents who were closer to DC. Well...less than 3 years after buying the house, he had it on the market. If I had to take a guess, I say he probably discovered that his friends thought he lived too far away and rarely visited. I know that he had envisioned always having friends visit.

Of course, I don't know your situation. However, I recommend that you think about what your expectations are. Do you want a walkable location where you have restaurants and shopping close by? Or are you basically a homebody who likes quiet time at the end of every day and having amenities within walking distance isn't a priority?

Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
If you are not worried about the equity in your place than a single family home may not make sense. So yes a condo is fine if you are happy with that. One thing to check it how thick the walls are in any place you consider, you do not want to buy a place and be stuck with hearing the neighbors fight for the next decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia