Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 05:19 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,438,384 times

Advertisements

The location is good and close enough to the the metro that I would say it will be a popular development...until the next new one goes up. Sounds like they are trying to make a smaller Mosiac type property.

How much are the townhomes? Those will be way more desirable especially if they have garages and are not condos. Not a huge fan of condos as they don't appreciate much especially after you factor in $5k+ a year in condo fees. Paying $400K won't make it very profitable to rent out in the future if you decide to move out and keep it either.

There are tons of townhouses in the area couple miles south of there and yeah they are older, but most have been updated. Those would be better buys than a 3br 3ba condo imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 PM

155 posts, read 132,980 times
I don't like townhouses... too many levels and too cramped. Maybe I will look at what theirs are ...if it is spacious 2 level then maybe. 3 or more then forget it. I don't want to walk up and down to do anything...

Old 10-22-2020, 07:12 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,278,489 times
I agree with the other poster that commented on how hard it will be to exit that property especially during rush hour. I have friends that live in the neighborhood behind the Panera (across the street) and the traffic around that area is pretty bad due to all the lights. For that price, I would look at condos at the Vienna metro.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I agree with the other poster that commented on how hard it will be to exit that property especially during rush hour. I have friends that live in the neighborhood behind the Panera (across the street) and the traffic around that area is pretty bad due to all the lights. For that price, I would look at condos at the Vienna metro.
Hmm yeah i go across that street as well and i agree it is a concern. By the way, I also found some properties:
https://www.liveonecentralpark.com/floorplans ashburn
https://www.kingstreetstation.com/ leesburg

I don't have kids now so school is not a huge concern but those 2 places belong to Loundon county right? isn't it better than fairfax county?

Even though I work in chantilly i am hesitant to move near it since i like closer to tysons and dc so i initially am looking at Fairfax areas. I think Chantilly also fairfax county for schools?

Any other area with new or recent complete developments i should take a look? Thanks.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,278,489 times
Better can be rather subjective. Any of the home search tools usually provide the great schools rating if that's of concern. Overall, Fairfax out performs Loudoun. Chantilly in 20152 (South Riding) is Loudoun and 20151 is Fairfax. Typically the big differences in schools occur after elementary. I guess it depends on how long you plan on living in a condo. If you are married and plan on having children soon, you won't need to worry about that for quite awhile.

I think you need to take a look at various properties, not just new. New and shiny doesn't always mean better. Get a feel for what your priorities are, what you're willing to pay a premium for, etc.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Better can be rather subjective. Any of the home search tools usually provide the great schools rating if that's of concern. Overall, Fairfax out performs Loudoun. Chantilly in 20152 (South Riding) is Loudoun and 20151 is Fairfax. Typically the big differences in schools occur after elementary. I guess it depends on how long you plan on living in a condo. If you are married and plan on having children soon, you won't need to worry about that for quite awhile.

I think you need to take a look at various properties, not just new. New and shiny doesn't always mean better. Get a feel for what your priorities are, what you're willing to pay a premium for, etc.

I think for me I don't want to get something immediate since my lease isn't up yet for a bit, so that's why i looked initially at the development areas since they are further down. I did get a preapproved loan for 600k or so. I would prefer moving in in 2021 or 2022 (boulevard VI is 2022). I prefer near chantilly to work but also in a good area that will flourish...

Old 10-23-2020, 07:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,516,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioil View Post
I prefer near chantilly to work but also in a good area that will flourish...
I am not sure what you mean by flourish? Nightlife, walk able and restaurants flourish? If that is what you mean I suggest looking for places closer to the orange or silver line.

I have not looked at condo's for a long time but it seems like you could get a pretty nice condo in a walk able area for $500K. But when looking at condos or any property with a condo fee or homeowners association look at the monthly fees first.

Having $600 a month in monthly fees will significantly decrease what you can afford on the buying side. And those fees only go up.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am not sure what you mean by flourish? Nightlife, walk able and restaurants flourish? If that is what you mean I suggest looking for places closer to the orange or silver line.

I have not looked at condo's for a long time but it seems like you could get a pretty nice condo in a walk able area for $500K. But when looking at condos or any property with a condo fee or homeowners association look at the monthly fees first.

Having $600 a month in monthly fees will significantly decrease what you can afford on the buying side. And those fees only go up.
I mean flourish as in future growth of area. One thing for sure is fairfax county has been building new places left and right...so they are trying. Yes i talked to my realtor and said the HOA is one thing I need to look into. Since it is new place i would think there's some insurance that covers initial breakages and hopefully things don't fall apart the first few years. But seeing what the HOA covers matters as well - if it is like 400 on top of me paying all utilities then thats not something i want to jump into. The parking is what it is - it is a problem wherever there is a large community.

I did talk to my realtor and gave her my initial timeline and hopefully she can come with some suggestions. I did get my loan which is 2.625 - dont know if it is average or not but it is the lowest among the other one i got from zillow.

I am definitely looking to move into somewhere next year or year after, a new place for sure. I am starting to think about chantilly too - https://www.khov.com/find-new-homes/...oaks/marymount

It looks to be reasonably priced and has a garage and 2 stories like a townhouse but called a condo...

Old 10-23-2020, 11:13 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,516,628 times
2.625 fixed is a good loan.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
2.625 fixed is a good loan.
What do you think about dual condos chantilly or ashburn?
https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...ds/The-Fairfax
https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-.../The-Carlisle#

They said its dual condo like one on top of another (i guess top floor better?). It is still condo so i guess hoa fees still applies but it is not packed like a normal condo though. The areas seems decent? Seems the ashburn place has more bang for the buck in terms of price/sqft... not sure if that also means it is not as good as chantilly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia