Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 06:09 PM

22,544 posts, read 12,111,709 times

Advertisements

With those piggyback condos, should you choose to buy the top 2 floors, just be aware that when you go shopping, you will have to walk up 3 floors to get to your unit. If that doesn't bother you in the short term, then consider looking into buying one. However, should, for example, you get an injury that would be a problem climbing up to the 3rd floor.

I've seen how these condos get built---they're all wooden construction which means it can get noisy living in one. These days, the walls dividing the units are most likely fireproof drywall with some insulation in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 08:49 PM

155 posts, read 132,643 times
Are you saying they are poorly constructed or soundproofing is not a priority? Would the dual condos be better get than just a one floor condo? I guess it has more privacy since only one neighbor...

Also, I noticed the Loudon condo has more bang for the buck for sqft than Chantilly one...is it because Chantilly is a more busy or better county? There must be some reason for the price difference. I am also thinking of checking the Westfield in Chantilly as well in couple weeks...apparently it is very hot since appointments is so far away.

Also, as a first time buyer, do the salesperson pressure a sale like car salesmen or they know this need to be slow? I am merely doing reconnaissance work but don't want to be pressured...

Old 10-23-2020, 10:00 PM

Yes, the construction is all wood and not as well built as a steel and concrete structure. Wooden construction means you hear your neighbors more than you would in a steel and concrete structure. For example, with wooden construction someone living above you may be walking normally and to the person living below it can sound like they are stomping around. Sometimes with wooden construction a neighbor could slam their door and your unit can shake.

If I were you, I would ask if any soundproofing has been added. Though I doubt any was added to the homes. If I were you, I would take a drive to see any new builds going up. That way, you can see for yourself as to how cheaply they are constructed these days.

Chantilly costs more because it's closer to DC than Ashburn is, thus land costs are higher.

If you want to buy a piggyback condo, aim for an end unit (even though they cost more). That way, you border fewer neighbors. Although, with interior units heating costs tend to be lower in the winter.

Both times we bought houses (first a townhouse, second a single family home) the salespeople didn't pressure us to buy. One difference was the second time, we brought along a realtor who was able to negotiate with the salesperson and get us a couple of optional items for free. However, at that time, the market was on the slow side. In a hot market, things will be different.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:31 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If you want to buy a piggyback condo, aim for an end unit (even though they cost more). That way, you border fewer neighbors. Although, with interior units heating costs tend to be lower in the winter.
I agree with this not only because they are quieter and maybe more private but they tend to be more desirable on the resale market as well. Personally I would look for an area and not new construction only. I would be open to older units that save you in overall cost that maybe if you put 10-20K into would be perfect for you. I use the 10-20K number because of the costs you have been posting and I do not think that would be unreasonable as 20K is 4% of $500,000.

If you get an older unit in a more desirable area for cheaper than new construction you could have most of your work done before you move in, so new to you.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:44 AM

Oh man just checked out both of the tollbrother ones. The extra square footage makes so big of difference especially the kitchen. The place in Ashburn almost looked like middle of nowhere compared to Chantilly. The rep said they do use some sound insulation in between units. The stairs I really didn't like ... especially the bigger size is always on top which makes sense...

In terms of older houses I don't mind but I would want the new place to be a smart house, have big bathroom with tub and shower combo, low maintenance and 2 floors maximum. I can take a look around.

I am thinking of seeing the other place I posted before next.. i did talk to a realtor so also waiting to hear back from her after initial call...

Old 10-25-2020, 08:02 PM

Also, foes buying a model home worth it? The salesperson said another location has model home for sale. I am assuming I keep all the stuff there but do I save a lot of money or they make it back by raising the price?

Old 10-25-2020, 09:52 PM

Well...model homes tend to have all the bells and whistles in them. IOW, options that would cost extra if you added them to your own new build. So...expect the model home to cost more.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:51 PM

Its this one
https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...iew=gallery,12

Its 511k or so. The lady said they spent 80k on the designer and charged 30k for the package. It is 3 floors so kinda bad but it is by itself so no up or downstair neighbor. Also its Ashburn so kinda barren. The design does look really neat and I doubt I can ever decorate it like that... I probably just leave everything empty lol... Idk if it is worth it or not... or even possible to negotiate down.

Interesting the unit was built 2016 so it took them 4 years to sell to last unit..

Old 10-29-2020, 12:49 AM

It's nice looking.

Just keep in mind this in mind with model homes --- Often times some of the furnishings are chosen in order to make rooms look bigger. For example, years ago we were considering buying into a townhouse community. One of the homes was a 2 bedroom 1 bath place. The furnishings that were put into the master bedroom made it look like it was big enough to fit a bed, and a couple of dressers. We decided to not buy at that time. Then when we got more serious about buying a place, our realtor took us to see that exact same model. When we looked at the master bedroom, it look really cramped. I told the realtor that when we saw the model, it seemed more spacious. She said that when model homes are furnished, they use smaller beds and dressers to make the room look bigger than it is.

Also, this house is an end unit which is good from a privacy standpoint.

Plus, I noticed that in your link, the cabinet that is part of the island looked scuffed up. When you said that the model is 4 years old, it explains the wear and tear. If you are serious about this place, I would recommend having an inspector look at it for your own peace of mind.

I understand your concerns about parts of Ashburn. Is this place anywhere near the future Metrorail station? If so, that's a good location.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:07 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Is this place anywhere near the future Metrorail station? If so, that's a good location.
I clicked on maps and directions and it seems to be off Loudoun County Parkway, and it is not very close to the Metro station. Close as in walkable. It is not a very long drive to get there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia