Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 AM

7 posts, read 24,687 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

So I concluded a second interview about two weeks ago for a position in Manassas VA. I have a feeling I got the job and they want to talk salary. So I’ve been doing some research on the Manassas area, where to live, etc. It seems like a lot of people say Haymarket, Gainesville, Centreville, and Bristow. Out of all of them Gainesville seems to be the most economical. However apartments in Manassas are the cheapest about 925-950/month. However, I wouldn’t mind paying a 100 more a month to live in a better area. It will just be me, no pets, fiancés, family or anything and I’m fine with a single bedroom.

I was looking through forums to find more details on what these places were like, but couldn’t find anything deeper than “it’s a nice place” or “it’s new”

I was wondering if I could get more details if anyone has more information about the lifestyle, activities, night life, and cost of living.

Another question I have is now the job conversation is leaning to salary talks. The position is posted as being from 46K – 72K. I highly doubt I’ll get into the higher range and have a feeling it might be high 40s to low 50s. Maybe 50K to 52K if I’m lucky. Would this be a good salary for the area? I certainly have no problems living within my means, but I want to make enough to live comfortable, having the occasional night out, and the ability to put away some savings.

Thanks in advance for all the advice and happy Father’s day to all the fathers out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
Although not high you can certainly afford to live on that salary in this area if you are somewhat frugal. On that salary I'd want to stay as close as possible to keep fuel expenses down. Can you say where in Manassas this job is located? I'll be glad to tell what areas are safer and more livable but it would help to know where you'll be working.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:16 AM

Hi Bigfoot. thanks for the reply. I think its close to the Prince William Hospital.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:05 PM

I would avoid anything with Westgate or Coverstone in it. Ravens Crest was pretty safe and near shopping and I66. Rosemary Ridge. Masons Keepe. The Point at Bull Run. Chatsworth Park Apts. These are all complexes near the hospital and all were relatively safe and as quiet as you can expect for living in an apt. I'm not sure you can get one of these apartments for your budget though. Tanglewood Apts may be a little cheaper but it was a little busier area as well with calls for service with the PD. But certainly not a dump or high crime area.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks! The point at Bull run seems affordable and perhaps with a tighter budget it could work. I'm not too worried about fuel costs since my car gets great mileage 35-40 MPGs. Found Sunnygate Village on 10120 Woodbury Drive Manassas, VA 20109 for $925/month. Is the area around the hospital good?

Last edited by benmark; 06-17-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmark View Post
Thanks! The point at Bull run seems affordable and perhaps with a tighter budget it could work. I'm too worried about fuel costs since my car gets great mileage 35-40 MPGs. Have you ever been to Gainesville? I was looking at Somerset Pointe I and II at 14701 Demming Drive Gainesville, VA 20155. It would be $1000/month. Also found Sunnygate Village on 10120 Woodbury Drive Manassas, VA 20109 for $925/month.
LoL. I know this county like the back of my hand. Was a PWC officer for 30 years. Gainesville is a good area but if you travel in rush hour times you'll see some pretty good traffic along Rt 29 or 66. You can go the back roads as well but they will still be heavy. Sunnygate Village is within walking distance of PWH. Not a bad area. A few more calls for service there but when it comes to apartment complexes they all have police type calls there more often VS a SFH area. It's to be expected.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks for you help. I really appreciate it! Hopefully salary negotiations will go well and will be more than expected. Sometimes it helps to be a little pessimistic. Plan for the worst and anything more is bonus

Old 06-17-2012, 05:14 PM

214 posts, read 488,587 times
Gainesville is nice and you could get to work by the hospital pretty easily on back roads.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 PM

808 posts, read 1,680,301 times
I don't see how you can't afford to live on a salary in the high 40's. Sometimes people here talk about how tough it is on their salary and I'm just amazed.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 AM

4,460 posts, read 8,152,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I don't see how you can't afford to live on a salary in the high 40's. Sometimes people here talk about how tough it is on their salary and I'm just amazed.
That's because a lot of people carry debt and much of their salary is to service that debt. School loans, car payment, credit card bills takes a big chunk of their paychecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia