Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,253,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermistress View Post
I am also looking to rent an apartment in Manassas or anywhere within a 20 minute commute, and wanted to get some opinions on the following apartment complexes. My primary concern is safety.

Manassas Meadows
Ashton Glen
Amberton
Maplewood Park
TGM Sudley Crossing

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Not knowing what your budget is makes it a little difficult.

Manassas Meadows is a fairly quiet area. I live only a mile from it. It started going downhill a few years back but they've done some updating there and it seems to have improved. Close to shopping and old town Manassas.

Ashton Glen- I would avoid. Not a crime ridden neighborhood by any means but not one of the nicer places.

Amberton is a pretty quiet place considering it's right across the street from Coverstone IV. Cov IV was a crack hole for years. The PD and management did a good job cleaning it up but I would never live there. There seems to be little bleed over from Cov IV to Amberton.

Maplewood Park. Fairly quiet as well. Yorkshire is an old area of the county and you're a little further from shopping. This is where John Wayne Bobbitt met his fate. A link for you in case you're not familiar with the story. John and Lorena Bobbitt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TGM. For years was a problem area but it too seems to have quieted down some. Again, close to shopping.

There are a few nicer complexes but it's possible your budget can't entertain them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 11,422 times
I am trying to stay under 1200 but if everything under that is run down and unsafe, I would be willing to go up to 1400 if it's really that bad. Any recommendations on nice places within that budget?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermistress View Post
I am trying to stay under 1200 but if everything under that is run down and unsafe, I would be willing to go up to 1400 if it's really that bad. Any recommendations on nice places within that budget?
I don't want to give the wrong impression. None are run down. Most complexes keep up with appearances around this area due to all the competition. As far as unsafe. Crime occurs in every neighborhood. Especially apt complexes due to the larger number of people living there. A SFH development with 250 people living there will typically have less crime than an apt complex with 1000 people living there.

Garden apartment home rental Manassas VA | Battery Heights Apartments| Rental Specials. Lease plan apts. Prince William County Virginia I66 VRE

Masons Keepe
9000 Landings Drive Manassas Virginia 20109

These are two I might consider. I retired in 2009 from the PD and these were quiet locations and in decent areas. I can't vouvh for them now but I've heard nothing negative about them.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 11,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I would avoid anything with Westgate or Coverstone in it. Ravens Crest was pretty safe and near shopping and I66. Rosemary Ridge. Masons Keepe. The Point at Bull Run. Chatsworth Park Apts. These are all complexes near the hospital and all were relatively safe and as quiet as you can expect for living in an apt. I'm not sure you can get one of these apartments for your budget though. Tanglewood Apts may be a little cheaper but it was a little busier area as well with calls for service with the PD. But certainly not a dump or high crime area.

Masons Keepe?!? Seriously?? This comment has to be from a property manager. There's nothing but a small chain-linked fence that separates the ghetto from Masons Keepe! I know because I was over there 2 days ago looking to move to Manassas after living from paycheck to paycheck in Fairfax county for a year. After researching the place on line it seemed pretty nice. But I quickly relized that it wasn't for us as we drove up. There's a large gate near the front entrance but it was opened when we drove up. So I'm assuming its locked at night. But what's the point?

In that part of town IMHO, there should be someone actually guarding it during the day and having it secured at night...or vice-versa.

The neighborhood schools are Stonewall Jackson which again, is in the ghetto.

Try TGM Sudley. They have move in specials all the time and right now, you can move in with zero dollars!
They're fully renovated, great location and they just spent over 1 million dollars updating everthing: state of trhe art movie theatre, cyber cafe, ect.

The schools are Stonewall Jackson as well, but children can choose to enroll in schools outside the area based on PWC's Specialty programs.

Like I said, both areas are Stone Wall Jackson, but TGM is a head of all the rest and if you have kids they can transfer to another school: Osbourn Park (Bio-Tech), Brentville, Battlefield, ect.

Ravens Crest is across the street but they aren't updated and they cost more. As we were filling out our application, one of the managers was on the phone speaking with a Ravens Crest tenant who wanted to come in and tour the place. The Point at Bull Run are also older and they have the same floor plans as TGM Sudley but you will pay for ALL your utilities, unlike TGM Sudley. TGM Sudley will definitely fit your price range.

Last edited by Lena627; 04-02-2013 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,859,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena627 View Post
Masons Keepe?!? Seriously?? This comment has to be from a property manager.
Uh oh...you don't know who you're talking too....

Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post

LOL nope sure don't. So I'm assuming the commenter is a "forum resident expert" but it makes no difference to me. I'm only commenting from experience as I would hope someone would do for me.

As far as Masons Keepe is concerned anyone can check it out on Google Maps by using the “walking” features or by checking out the latest comments over at Apartment Ratings.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM

429 posts, read 954,757 times
Stonewall Jackson is a wonderful school. They have not had many problems and it's an IB school. Many other students from the county attend by choice even though their schools may be newer, nicer and with a less diversified student population. It's also not in a ghetto. It's surrounded by nice single family homes, nice townhomes and a shopping center. I don't think the poster who is slamming it has done their homework (please pardon the pun). I HAVE done mine as I have one who graduated and one is a freshman now. I do agree with that poster about decent complexes butting up to older places but that's just how it is. This part of Manassas is already built up as much as it can be and anything new is squeezed in wherever they can fit it. I used to live in Wellington (when it was new back in '96) on the very last street before the Georgetown South area started. There wasn't even a fence there, but an embankment with tiny trees. It's also a bad idea to judge the character of a person by where they can afford to live. There may be seedy people in older rundown areas but there are good people too, just as there are drug dealers in nice neighborhoods alongside doctors and government workers, proving money can buy newer and bigger houses but not morality.

Last edited by Dazed&Confused; 04-02-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,730,870 times
Quote:
Ha! was going to say the same thing..bigfoot is a former (current?) PWC cop right... Pretty spot on in those types of assessments.

And this post is also almost a year old - not that that is a lifetime in the terms of apts and their neighborhoods - but the OP most likely already made a decision.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM

429 posts, read 954,757 times
I noticed the original post was an old one but felt the need to respond to today's addition.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I've been called many things but never a "property manager." LoL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia