Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:34 PM

7 posts, read 30,558 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house located in Manassas City (not part of Prince William County) we know absolutely nothing about Manassas City Schools. The neighborhood elementary school is Round Elementary, which looking at the school website, I couldn't really determine much information. Does anyone know whether this school has a large number of low income students? We are looking for a school where the majority of students are from middle class families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,326,599 times
There is plenty of school rating websites, if you do a search on this forum you can easily find 200 related threads.

On the contrary, I dont agree with your thoughs about students from middle class families.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 AM

7 posts, read 30,558 times
I posted this question here because we are in a situation where we need to move very suddenly and I really need reliable information immediately. I am aware of the many school rating sites, however I don't totally trust them because I suspect that administrators tend to post positive comments about their school to portray it in a positive light. As far as preferring that my children attend a school where most students are middle class. Well, sorry - not going to feel guilty about not wanting my kids to go to a "ghetto" school.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 AM

595 posts, read 2,307,600 times
Round may be the best of the five elementary MCPS (Dean, Haydon, Weems, Baldwin). They bring students from the other four to attend the GT Program. Part of the notorious Georgetown South development attends Round. There will be no escaping the ESL/low income students at any of the five. Beware of Mayfield; it is the 5th and 6th grade school. They have a dedicated staff and the principal is competent. However, I think the school is just too large. Many will tell you, those students are more trouble than the Metz (7th and 8th graders) students.
Round would probably be better than 2/3 of the PWCS.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM

230 posts, read 757,892 times
You might want to consider checking out houses in the Centreville area, which isn't that far from Manassas City. I live in the area of Centreville that is located not far from the Prince William County boundry line (up Rt 28) in Fairfax County. Fairfax County has one of the best school systems in the country. Centreville ES is a good school and is located in my neighborhood.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM

286 posts, read 804,559 times
If you don't want low income schools then stay out of Manasass and PWC. Manassas City and the majority of PWC is ghetto, there is no escaping that..Also, you should know that you and your children will need to learn Spanish, since most people in this area dont speak English (very well at least) and see no need to learn it.

If you want nicer thats also close move to Centreville...its right by Manasass and not ghetto like that, plus the schools are some of the best in the nation.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoi View Post
If you don't want low income schools then stay out of Manasass and PWC. Manassas City and the majority of PWC is ghetto, there is no escaping that..Also, you should know that you and your children will need to learn Spanish, since most people in this area dont speak English (very well at least) and see no need to learn it.

If you want nicer thats also close move to Centreville...its right by Manasass and not ghetto like that, plus the schools are some of the best in the nation.
Ignore this post. The "ghetto" comments about PWC are way off base.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Ignore this post. The "ghetto" comments about PWC are way off base.
Umm have you been to PWC lately?

Mansass = ghetto, unless you think that little kids who think they are gang bangers isnt

Manasass Park = ghetto as well, for the same reasons above

Woodbridge = mostly ghetto, but there are a couple of nice places as long as you know where to look for them

Dale City = ha! the fact that residents there call it Dale ****ty pretty much speak for itself

PWC (NoVA area anyway) is where the majority of the low income, high crime, non English speaking people live

Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoi View Post
Umm have you been to PWC lately?

Mansass = ghetto, unless you think that little kids who think they are gang bangers isnt

Manasass Park = ghetto as well, for the same reasons above

Woodbridge = mostly ghetto, but there are a couple of nice places as long as you know where to look for them

Dale City = ha! the fact that residents there call it Dale ****ty pretty much speak for itself

PWC (NoVA area anyway) is where the majority of the low income, high crime, non English speaking people live
Yes. We have lived in PWC for 15 years. Woodbridge for 8 (Lake Ridge area). We have had a Manassas address for the past 7 and I wouldn't characterize most of the developments as low income.

We have experienced little if any crime. Our neighborhood is very family friendly. We often walk at night. We go downtown to eat and for events. I am not sure where you live, or why you have such a negative view of PWC, but I think you exaggerate and stereotype your views of the area.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Yes. We have lived in PWC for 15 years. Woodbridge for 8 (Lake Ridge area). We have had a Manassas address for the past 7 and I wouldn't characterize most of the developments as low income.

We have experienced little if any crime. Our neighborhood is very family friendly. We often walk at night. We go downtown to eat and for events. I am not sure where you live, or why you have such a negative view of PWC, but I think you exaggerate and stereotype your views of the area.
I guess you have missed the past 10 years of MS-13 gang activity in that area huh? Or I bet you havent heard about the people being attacked in Mansass Park by a gang of machate wielding youths either? Hell, even Loranna Bobbit throw her husbands willy off the road on 28 at the Centreville/Manassas line...I'm not saying all of PWC is bad or ghetto, but in the NoVA area, thats where most of the crime, gangs and illegal immigrants reside.

I'm not trying to generalize anything, but compared to the rest of the NoVA area (besides some places in Herndon and Reston) PWC is far from the best place to live or send your kids to school, and thats just a fact. FFX county is by far a better place to raise a family and send your kids off to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia