Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM

722 posts, read 1,928,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Stonewall Jackson is a wonderful school. They have not had many problems and it's an IB school. Many other students from the county attend by choice even though their schools may be newer, nicer and with a less diversified student population. It's also not in a ghetto. It's surrounded by nice single family homes, nice townhomes and a shopping center. I don't think the poster who is slamming it has done their homework (please pardon the pun). I HAVE done mine as I have one who graduated and one is a freshman now. I do agree with that poster about decent complexes butting up to older places but that's just how it is. This part of Manassas is already built up as much as it can be and anything new is squeezed in wherever they can fit it. I used to live in Wellington (when it was new back in '96) on the very last street before the Georgetown South area started. There wasn't even a fence there, but an embankment with tiny trees. It's also a bad idea to judge the character of a person by where they can afford to live. There may be seedy people in older rundown areas but there are good people too, just as there are drug dealers in nice neighborhoods alongside doctors and government workers, proving money can buy newer and bigger houses but not morality.
My neighborhood in Bristow is zoned for Stonewall Jackson high school. I know a lot of my neighbors get nervous about it, but the ones I know who actually have kids that attend there, say they are happy with it. The only negative things I've heard about SJ is from people who DON'T have (and have never had!) kids who attend there.

As far as someone sounding like a property manager, I thought Lena's glowing endorsement of TGM sounds way more like "property manager speak" than Bigfoot.

Regarding that area in general, it's funny that this topic got bumped today, naming those specific communities--as for the first time today I went for a run through one of them (Raven's Crest). They have a nice little running trail, there were multiple signs stating that you are using it at "your own risk" (made it sound like there were safety concerns?) but I felt fine, and I was by myself. I noticed one part of the trail went off into the woods, and I did not go down there...but on the paved area I felt fine (this was around 10 am). I drive past that area almost every single day and never thought it looked "ghetto" or saw anyone scary looking or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 11,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Regarding that area in general, it's funny that this topic got bumped today, naming those specific communities--as for the first time today I went for a run through one of them (Raven's Crest). They have a nice little running trail, there were multiple signs stating that you are using it at "your own risk" (made it sound like there were safety concerns?) but I felt fine, and I was by myself. I noticed one part of the trail went off into the woods, and I did not go down there...but on the paved area I felt fine (this was around 10 am). I drive past that area almost every single day and never thought it looked "ghetto" or saw anyone scary looking or anything.

I didn't say that Raven's Crest area looked ghetto. I said that a tenant from Raven's Crest called TGM and asked about the apartments as I was filling out my application and that The Point has the same floor plan but tenants are responsible for all utilities. I said the neighborhood surrounding Masons Keepe is ghetto. Reading is fundamental...

Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 PM

429 posts, read 956,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena627 View Post
I didn't say that Raven's Crest area looked ghetto. I said that a tenant from Raven's Crest called TGM and asked about the apartments as I was filling out my application and that The Point has the same floor plan but tenants are responsible for all utilities. I said the neighborhood surrounding Masons Keepe is ghetto. Reading is fundamental...

You also said Stonewall Jackson High School is in the ghetto, which it definitely is not. What is your understanding of a ghetto, specifically?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM

303 posts, read 594,462 times
Quote:
You also said Stonewall Jackson High School is in the ghetto, which it definitely is not. What is your understanding of a ghetto, specifically?
I also would like to know what your definition of ghetto is.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
While the two closest neighborhoods nearest Masons Keepe are not the nicest around they certainly are not ghetto. My guess is you've never truly lived in or been in a ghetto?

In the time Masons Keepe was open and until I retired from PWCPD in 09 I bet I can count on one hand the numbers of calls for service I ran in there. Granted I typically just went on the calls with potential for violence but the complex was still a quiet neighborhood. Bristoe Station is likely one of the "ghetto" areas you are referring to. Again, not a perfect area but one that has never truly been a high crime area. I owned a home there back in the early 80's and moved out in 86. It's primarily occupied by Hispanics so maybe this is why you call it ghetto? Again, not perfect but not ghetto. I assume the other is the Apartments and townhomes off Golden Oak and Meadow Grove Cts? Again, some typical problems here with older homes but never a high crime ghetto area.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:42 AM

104 posts, read 171,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How slow are you driving that it takes 20-25 minutes to get to the hospital? Unless you're going in the middle of snowstorm it shouldn't take anywhere near that time.
I guess it depends where on Linton Hall you are coming from. My wife was in labor and trust me she wanted me to go as fast as I could (in the middle of the night) and it took around or almost 15 minutes! In traffic and getting red lights then I guess 20 minutes. Either way, not far but we never got door to door in 10. My wife obviously wished we could that night :-)

Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,600,034 times
If it's in your price range, The Marque at Heritage Hunt is very nice. I had a relative who lived there. Great amenities, convenient location, good maintenance, and pretty new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia