Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times

Advertisements

Children should stay as safe as we can possibly keep them. There are a ton of sports that are reasonably safe. Boating, biking, hiking, soccer, baseball, swimming........lots of outdoor things. Even skateboarding is reasonably safe...........
I have to stand by the fumes. I spent many a day in New York attending shows with buses and cabs going by.........
The fumes coming from the ATVs are quite strong. It was a real shocker to me to even find that out. I found it out trying to have dinner with friends on an outdoor porch.......none of us could handle it. Sadly to say, because I waited 20 years to have this company to my home. It was an important and special night for us.
Insane, I don't think so..........Rather I'd always teach my children not to be rude, mine would not have been riding disturbing someones evening meal with company, I assure you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 PM

45 posts, read 132,563 times
during this year's funding cycle, the PA department of conservation and natural resources opened up funding for the development of recreational opportunities such as this to for-profit entitities. weluvpa, this land would still be owned by the same person who owns it now, however, there is currently a lease being put in place for 25 to 30 years that would set aside this land for recreational public use only. unlicensed vehicles would not be allowed to ride and there would be rules and standards put in place. the trails that are currently there would be reconfigured and updated to safety standards put in place by the state and federal government. this land is not suitable for development of any other sort really. the location is ideal, conveniently located off of three major highways. the project would not encroach on anyone's homes, there aren't any nearby. it's nearly perfect.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,101,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Children should stay as safe as we can possibly keep them. There are a ton of sports that are reasonably safe. Boating, biking, hiking, soccer, baseball, swimming........lots of outdoor things. Even skateboarding is reasonably safe.........
Vince I'm all for it and think that is great that he is using this land for that reason. Your right its nearly perfect but someone will try and fault with it.

Summering I won't argue the fumes with you, even though I know that they are not that bad.

Safe....... Those sports are safe? I played soccer in high school and that cost me ONE knee operation , I also have been waterskiing since I was in high school and that has cost me ONE knee operation. BMX bikes cost me one more knee surgery and skiing cost me another knee surgery. I have been skateboarding for at least 25 years and at 17 I had major hip surgery from a fall on a ramp.

Thats a grand total of 4 knee operations and hip surgery. I have barely any meniscus cartilage in my right knee from all the tears and repairs. All this from the "other sports".

Other then being bruised up and banged up and a few stitches here and there I have never had a major injury on motorcycles, dirt bikes or quads. I have been riding for 29 years. My son has had more injuries riding a bicycle around the street then he has ever had on his quad over the last 3 years.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceWhirlwind View Post
during this year's funding cycle, the PA department of conservation and natural resources opened up funding for the development of recreational opportunities such as this to for-profit entitities. weluvpa, this land would still be owned by the same person who owns it now, however, there is currently a lease being put in place for 25 to 30 years that would set aside this land for recreational public use only. unlicensed vehicles would not be allowed to ride and there would be rules and standards put in place. the trails that are currently there would be reconfigured and updated to safety standards put in place by the state and federal government. this land is not suitable for development of any other sort really. the location is ideal, conveniently located off of three major highways. the project would not encroach on anyone's homes, there aren't any nearby. it's nearly perfect.
Ok Vince.........if it is away from homes, and all the safety is in order, this might be better then riding in a community. If they are going to ride anyway, it might as well be in as safe as environment as can be.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM

When is the park slated to be open 2009??? Not soon enough for me. My one neighbor pulled out his trike today and has been doing laps up and down the street. My dogs just love that and I love to sit and listen to 3 dogs going nuts over it.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:13 PM

996 posts, read 3,280,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
All this hype for what. The proposed park will be on private land and completely away from any homes...COMPLETELY. It is supposed to be in Dunmore and it will not be built with any public funds because the builder doesn't need them. It will also be located behind one of the largest motorcycle and ATV dealers in NEPA.

Honestly as long as its not in my backyard mentality sucks. Its no different for skateboarding and anything else that people complain about kids doing.

I said it before, maybe we should lock our kids in the house and put them in front of the TV that way they will never be in any danger of having fun or getting hurt.

The X Games and the "alternative sports" are what these kids know and watch, they want to skateboard or ride dirt bikes and quads and in my mind its better for them to be outside doing anything that forces them to pay attention and think for themselves rather then just sitting and playing video games.

If I could afford it my son would have any machine his heart desires because you will never hear me say "No you can't do that you might hurt or killed". He could get killed in school or he could get hit by car in front of my house so in my mind holding your kids back from doing the things that make them happy is wrong. Teach them to be responsible children that can take care of themselves and they will make the right choices. Sure they might get hurt, THATS WHAT KIDS DO, ITS CALLED GROWING UP TO MEN AND WOMAN.

Sheltered children will be eaten alive in todays society.
I agree 100% with this post. Our kids have also all grown up riding skateboards, ATV's, horses, and whatever else they were interested in. And yes, we are aware of the dangers and the fact that they might get hurt. They wear helmets and are taught to ride safely, but at some point you have to let them be kids, and if that means that sometimes they fall and get hurt, than so be it. That is how they learn their limits.

Also, if anyone is looking for an ATV park, here is a website for a a place at Pocono Manor that looks good. We haven't gotten to drive there and see it, but it looks promising: Ride Lost Trails ATV Park

Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Vince, I haven't been able to ascertain as to whether or not you are part of the group opening the park or are just an acquaintance of them, but something you will want to take into SERIOUS consideration is future growth on adjacent lands and what that could do to hurt your (or their) business in the coming years. In Duryea there are some industrial businesses not far from Comcast who have been established for a number of years that are now squabbling with some people in rapidly growing Blueberry Hill Estates and an adjacent upcoming gated community over noise issues. These businesses were there long before the yuppies were building their McMansions, but they're still feeling the "burn." It's really no different than what you hear about in Lancaster County with farmers selling their land to housing developers who then subdivide the land into building lots---the owners of whom then complain about the manure smell from the surrounding farms that have been there for GENERATIONS.

It might be a good idea to secure legal counsel so that if and when Landview Properties or another major developer in the Roaring Brook Township/Dunmore area decides they wish to build "McFartsyPants Estates" 1/4-mile from your track in five years or so you'll be prepared to adequately counter the inevitable noise and/or pollution complaints from the new transplants. I'd imagine you'd be "grandfathered" in, but I've noticed in this area that housing developers seem to be catered to moreso than businesses, especially one like an ATV park. I suppose "money talks."

Best of luck otherwise though! The less ATVs playing chicken with my sedan on Highway 315 in Pittston and the more paying to use your (or your associates') park, the better!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
I agree 100% with this post. Our kids have also all grown up riding skateboards, ATV's, horses, and whatever else they were interested in. And yes, we are aware of the dangers and the fact that they might get hurt. They wear helmets and are taught to ride safely, but at some point you have to let them be kids, and if that means that sometimes they fall and get hurt, than so be it. That is how they learn their limits.

Also, if anyone is looking for an ATV park, here is a website for a a place at Pocono Manor that looks good. We haven't gotten to drive there and see it, but it looks promising: Ride Lost Trails ATV Park
I'm agreeing with both Dan AND Greentown in the same thread? Has hell truly frozen over?!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM

996 posts, read 3,280,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm agreeing with both Dan AND Greentown in the same thread? Has hell truly frozen over?!
Don't worry, I'm sure it won't last.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:59 PM

The location of the park if I understand correctly is not in any danger of being developed around because it is all owned by one guy. The land that is next to it on the right is I think water company or municipal land. The left side has a highway bordering it and the front is his business and the land behind is his as well.

As Vince said its nearly a perfect location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania