Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Park Would You Prefer to Host Our Gathering?
McDade Park 13 61.90%
Nay Aug Park 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

To those of you familiar with Scranton and both Nay Aug Park and McDade Park, what would your choice be for a better gathering spot, and why? I was originally gung-ho on Nay Aug Park for the following reasons:
  • Easier Access From I-81, I-380, I-84 For Those in Pike, Wayne, Susquehanna, and Monroe Counties
  • Close to Downtown and Would Permit Visitors to Spend an Hour or Two Exploring There as Well if They Wished
  • Waterfall
  • Genesis Wildlife Center
  • Everhart Museum
  • Swimming Pool/Water Slides (For the Kids)
  • Playground

However, I've now been reflecting upon Dan and Ed's portrayals of the poor overall maintenance by the city in respect to the park and am wondering if McDade Park would be a better candidate due to the county's superior maintenance, even with fewer amenities and a more distant location across town (although closer for those using I-476).

What are your opinions? I'm still probably going to vote for Nay Aug myself, assuming there is still a weekend day remaining where the pavillion could be rented, but I'm open for suggestions about McDade as well. After all, this is OUR get-together---not mine. I want to hear your cases for either park. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:56 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,533 times
I always have liked Mcdade park. Even with the tree house, I still prefer it over Nay Aug...My in-laws have had many reunions and I have been to both park for them.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:57 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
I like McDade better myself. It's a little smaller than Nay Aug, but like you said Paul, it is better maintained by the county. I think it's a nice little park.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,271 times
There is no problem with Nay Aug Park in respect to maintenance, just a problem between certain people and a designated scapegoat. McDade does allow groups to use their pavillion, but you must book with the park office, and usually all dates are filled well in advance.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,128,605 times
Mcdade park sounds nice

Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I like McDade better myself. It's a little smaller than Nay Aug...
Nope. McDade Park is actually much bigger than Nay Aug. 200+ mostly wide open acres, as opposed to around 140 mostly wooded acres at Nay Aug.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
McDade is a better park. Its cleaner and better maintained then Nay Aug. Luna you can say what you want, but Nay Aug isn't all that and I'm not alone on that one. Its a $6,500,000 white elephant.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
McDade is a better park. Its cleaner and better maintained then Nay Aug. Luna you can say what you want, but Nay Aug isn't all that and I'm not alone on that one. Its a $6,500,000 white elephant.

McDade is much nicer. Plus, it seems the county keeps that park in much better condition than Nay Aug for a lot less money. They maintain what they have rather than what Doherty does: build expensive new stuff that they let go to crap because of a total lack of maintenance. They can't even pick up trash at Nay Aug (honestly I blame the litterbugs, but still, litterbugs can't be avoided and the city should clean the place...McDade is generally free of trash, and I'm sure morons litter there too).

I'd say McDade has just as many amenities as Nay Aug, probably more. Picnic facilities, clean working bathrooms with actual running water (as opposed to Nay Aug's port-o-potties), a playground (with no broken equipment, obscene graffiti, and hazardous steep downhill trails leading to it like Nay Aug's playground), pond, walking trails, basketball courts, tennis courts, baseball fields, pool, coal mine tour/museum, etc.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
There is no problem with Nay Aug Park in respect to maintenance.
Then why don't you take a good walk around Nay Aug, and then go up to McDade and take a walk around and compare the two. You really have your head in the sand. A blind person could tell that the county maintains its parks better than the city.

Its too bad, because Nay Aug could be a very nice park.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 AM

937 posts, read 2,888,845 times
I haven't been to either park yet. I guess the cleaner park, the better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania