Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what do you think of the NY Aug Park Zoo?
I think it's Ok 0 0%
Something needs to be done 9 100.00%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,505 times

Advertisements

Is any one here who like to report what they think about the poor animal conditions at Ny Aug Park Genesis Zoo?
They just acquired two Siberian Tiger Cubs - they do not have money,space or the resources for one Tiger. I do believe that the Owner Margret is committed to saving animals but these Tigers will suffer there - I like to form a committee to save the Zoo but make a proper environment for them. This is a travesty to let caged animals suffer, we are a better people than that.
Please contact me - with your comments and hopefully we can make a difference and see if the town of Scranton cannot come up with a better solution. Who is with me to help those animals. Especially those Tigers - they will grow up and be huge the cage is not large enough for even one Tiger much less two.
you can email me private if you [email]wish.info@tarawellness4me.com[/email] but please only emails peertaining to this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
I think something should be done....they should close that "zoo" and forget about any type of expanded zoo. The city can't pay for basic infrastructure, they shouldn't be in the zoo business.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:38 PM

325 posts, read 807,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarawellness View Post
Is any one here who like to report what they think about the poor animal conditions at Ny Aug Park Genesis Zoo?
They just acquired two Siberian Tiger Cubs - they do not have money,space or the resources for one Tiger. I do believe that the Owner Margret is committed to saving animals but these Tigers will suffer there - I like to form a committee to save the Zoo but make a proper environment for them. This is a travesty to let caged animals suffer, we are a better people than that.
Please contact me - with your comments and hopefully we can make a difference and see if the town of Scranton cannot come up with a better solution. Who is with me to help those animals. Especially those Tigers - they will grow up and be huge the cage is not large enough for even one Tiger much less two.
you can email me private if you wish.info@tarawellness4me.com but please only emails peertaining to this subject.

I commend you for your concern for these animals! This is a topic we have discussed here at very great length in the past; you may want to take a look at some of those threads (search for Genesis Wildlife Center to see them).

I don't want to write pages and pages to rehash a topic which has already been extensively discussed here. To state my position as briefly as possible, I too, am deeply concerned about the animals at the Genesis Wildlife Center. Like you, I started out wanting to find some way to help the animals by improving the conditions at the old zoo. Unfortunately, after doing a lot of research on this topic, I have come to the conclusion that while Margaret Miller probably does love these animals in her own fashion, she either does not understand or has chosen to ignore modern standards of animal care. The clearest example of this is her recent decision to acquire the tiger cubs even though she does not have the resources to properly care for them. And by the way, she acquired the cubs from a facility which is notorious for its poor treatment of animals and then she represented that facility as a good place which "rescues" animals. Moreover, beyond her experience over the years with her own animals (experience which seems to have taught her very little about some very basic aspects of animal care--such as the fact that sick animals should be separated from healthy animals), it is unclear whether Margaret Miller or any of her staff have any actual credentials which would qualify them to properly care for the animals.

Since the animals at the old zoo belong to the Genesis Wildlife Center and not to the city, there is a limit to what the city can do to change things at the center. However, the city does--or should--have a lot of leverage because it provides a significant portion of the GWC's funding. In my opinion, the first step in improving the center would be to find a better home elsewhere for as many of the animals as possible. Properly housing and caring for the large collection of exotic animals present at the center would be extremely expensive. Realistically, the only way to raise the amount of money that would be needed would be to get a lot of money in grants, and the only way to get that much grant money would be for the center to become accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums--something which is very unlikely to happen given the current sad state of the GWC and Margaret Miller's attitude.

The city should tell the GWC that there will be no further funding unless the GWC: 1) relocates as many animals as possible in better homes; 2) stops taking in animals except in the most extreme emergency cases, and even then, houses the animals on a temporary basis; 3) STOPS BREEDING ANIMALS! Yes, that's right, the GWC has allowed some of the animals to breed, thereby increasing the population at the center.

As far as I know, the city has *not* insisted on any of the above conditions, and at this rate, eventually, the GWC will be stuffed with animals from floor to ceiling. They not only need more money, they need a change in attitude. If that change does not occur, then, in my opinion, the city's only option will be to cut off funding. I say this with great sadness, because I care so much about the animals that are already housed at the GWC. However, I do not think we want the GWC endlessly adding more and more animals and forcing them to live in increasing misery as the space and funding at the center are stretched over a larger and larger animal population. Moreover, I have very real concerns about the safety of the center for its human visitors and staff. I have questions about the safety of the building itself, about the ability of the staff to safely evacuate visitors and animals in the case of an emergency, and about the possibility of an animal attack. I am particularly concerned about the tigers, since as they grow they will become increasingly dangerous; in the past, Margaret Miller has exhibited a cavalier attitude toward the center's big cats. I think the GWC is an accident waiting to happen, and unless things change quickly and drastically, it should be closed down. Again, I say this with great sadness. It's a terrible situation, and it's time for some difficult, adult, responsible decisions to be made regarding the GWC.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,644,687 times
Here..........we go again

Old 10-24-2008, 02:09 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,664,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I think something should be done....they should close that "zoo" and forget about any type of expanded zoo. The city can't pay for basic infrastructure, they shouldn't be in the zoo business.
Agreed. Someone else beside the taxpayers should foot the bill for a change. The city is bleeding and can't afford anything like this anymore.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,663,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The city is bleeding...
Wise choice of words considering the daily stabbings in the city, Ed! LOL!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:22 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,664,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wise choice of words considering the daily stabbings in the city, Ed! LOL!
Well, I didn't exactly mean it that way Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania