Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijmpr View Post
Excellent! [said with evil Smithers voice] Now all we have to do is find out what block SWB lives on and start building it!
Meh. They're already going to start construction soon on yet another cheesy strip mall here anchored by a Wal-Mart Supercenter and over a dozen other chains. It will be called "Pittston Crossings," as if Pittston is some sort of "hub." In my opinion we just happen to be a withering old coal town that just happens to be located near all of the freeway exits. VOILA! Instant sprawl! I'd actually MUCH prefer an ATV park in our backyard than dumpsters and the rears of chain stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 06:02 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
An awful lot of kids were getting killed on them too. One young girl died in SC this past winter .........its all to common now.
and then I'd worry about all those trees and fast and careless drivers.
I honestly don't know what to say. Should we should ban all things that are fun? There will always be people that push the limits regardless of what they are doing, but to condemn those that are safe and practice good and responsible riding habits and skills is wrong.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Meh. They're already going to start construction soon on yet another cheesy strip mall here anchored by a Wal-Mart Supercenter and over a dozen other chains. It will be called "Pittston Crossings," as if Pittston is some sort of "hub." In my opinion we just happen to be a withering old coal town that just happens to be located near all of the freeway exits. VOILA! Instant sprawl! I'd actually MUCH prefer an ATV park in our backyard than dumpsters and the rears of chain stores.
Ok SWB........I'm doing a petition that the ATV track runs behind your Victorian home......and operates 7AM to Midnight. When you sit on your porch you can watch em'........that is if you can stand the fumes during your family gatherings That you might be able to hear each other talk, could be a problem Plus.............I'm a bit worried the Mini Cooper might get a bit muddy. Does the rear of a chain store sound any better yet?
Just trying for a bit of humor here ........I know you understand

Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Ok SWB........I'm doing a petition that the ATV track runs behind your Victorian home......and operates 7AM to Midnight. When you sit on your porch you can watch em'........that is if you can stand the fumes during your family gatherings That you might be able to hear each other talk, could be a problem Plus.............I'm a bit worried the Mini Cooper might get a bit muddy. Does the rear of a chain store sound any better yet?
Just trying for a bit of humor here ........I know you understand
See...there's another advantage to living in a densely populated city neighborhood....less chances for things like ATV parks, manufacturing plants, strip malls, etc etc to be built next to your house. When you live near woods or wide-open spaces, there's always the chance of a place like that opening up by your house.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM

201 posts, read 538,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
There was talk about building an atv park on the old abandoned mine lands up in Ashley behind the Huber Breaker a few years ago. I don't know what ever became of that proposal I think it would be a good idea.

Please don't tell me that! That is right behind my house. That is where they all ride now. I don't think that they will because they want to turn the breaker and some land around it into a museum and a recreational park. They have been talking about that for years but nothing has come of that either. I have it nice now but if they build any of those I might have to sell. I just like my peace and quiet and no traffic. That is why I bought the house in the first place. If they built an ATV park I would not be able to sit out and enjoy the sound of the creek running. I am all for fun but don't want to put up with the noise. It is bad enough that they all go up and down the dead end road on the side of my house and have to listen to the horrible language on them.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I honestly don't know what to say. Should we should ban all things that are fun? There will always be people that push the limits regardless of what they are doing, but to condemn those that are safe and practice good and responsible riding habits and skills is wrong.
What some people see as fun may infringe on the rights of those who don't have the same outlook. The ATV people will come to area for a small amount of time and leave.....having had their fun. Also consider that there would be many, many people coming into the area on a continuous basis.

If I understand the small bit of discussion here, it seems that there would be use of public funds to finance such an operation. I seriously don't see how the use of funds for this purpose would benefit the greater population.

I'd rather see public funds used to improve the crumbling infrastructure of areas that are currently in use....roads, areas that are prone to flood, etc.

If a private entrepreneur wants to open a business to accommodate such activities, then zoning would need to come into play. Then things get nasty. The property owner is never safe.

We had a small farm in south central PA. Houses began to be built near by. There was no public water. We had a spring head. It had been the source of water for our property for well over a hundred years. Guess who tapped into our spring. I have a problem when so called progress destroys what already exists.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM

All this hype for what. The proposed park will be on private land and completely away from any homes...COMPLETELY. It is supposed to be in Dunmore and it will not be built with any public funds because the builder doesn't need them. It will also be located behind one of the largest motorcycle and ATV dealers in NEPA.

Honestly as long as its not in my backyard mentality sucks. Its no different for skateboarding and anything else that people complain about kids doing.

I said it before, maybe we should lock our kids in the house and put them in front of the TV that way they will never be in any danger of having fun or getting hurt.

The X Games and the "alternative sports" are what these kids know and watch, they want to skateboard or ride dirt bikes and quads and in my mind its better for them to be outside doing anything that forces them to pay attention and think for themselves rather then just sitting and playing video games.

If I could afford it my son would have any machine his heart desires because you will never hear me say "No you can't do that you might hurt or killed". He could get killed in school or he could get hit by car in front of my house so in my mind holding your kids back from doing the things that make them happy is wrong. Teach them to be responsible children that can take care of themselves and they will make the right choices. Sure they might get hurt, THATS WHAT KIDS DO, ITS CALLED GROWING UP TO MEN AND WOMAN.

Sheltered children will be eaten alive in todays society.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
No public funds. OK. I may have mixed two different threads.

No chance of lessening the quality of life for others. OK. Good.

I have absolutely no interest in suggesting that someone else raise their child away from living life to the fullest. I went out and got horses for my kids. My point isn't about what is safe and not safe or what choices others make.

If we are going in that direction, I will say that I personally believe that it is important to also teach children to respect the rights, privacy, and peace of other human beings. Somewhere, in our quest to fill our disposable society with toys and diversions, we have given our children another message. "It's all about me!! I want it now, and I'm entitled to do whatever I want. Get out of my way!!"

I see I have too much time on my hands today. <<Rockky takes soap box and waddles off stage left.>>

Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 PM

My post wasn't really directed at you. My son is raised to be respectful and he doesn't get everything he wants..i.e. games and toys but if wants to get involved in something that I do or we can do together the we do it.

If he said that he wanted to learn to skydive, well I guess we would be at the airport. My point I guess is that you can encourage your kids to take chances and push their limits to grow and learn what they are capable of instead of discouraging them from doing things because of your fear.

I put my parents thru hell with many extreme sports growing up and they never tried to stop me out of fear. They might not have liked it but they let me learn for myself what I could and couldn't do.

Bones and pride will heal but a lack of confidence in yourself will haunt you forever.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
All this hype for what. The proposed park will be on private land and completely away from any homes...COMPLETELY. It is supposed to be in Dunmore and it will not be built with any public funds because the builder doesn't need them. It will also be located behind one of the largest motorcycle and ATV dealers in NEPA.

Honestly as long as its not in my backyard mentality sucks. Its no different for skateboarding and anything else that people complain about kids doing.

I said it before, maybe we should lock our kids in the house and put them in front of the TV that way they will never be in any danger of having fun or getting hurt.

The X Games and the "alternative sports" are what these kids know and watch, they want to skateboard or ride dirt bikes and quads and in my mind its better for them to be outside doing anything that forces them to pay attention and think for themselves rather then just sitting and playing video games.

If I could afford it my son would have any machine his heart desires because you will never hear me say "No you can't do that you might hurt or killed". He could get killed in school or he could get hit by car in front of my house so in my mind holding your kids back from doing the things that make them happy is wrong. Teach them to be responsible children that can take care of themselves and they will make the right choices. Sure they might get hurt, THATS WHAT KIDS DO, ITS CALLED GROWING UP TO MEN AND WOMAN.

Sheltered children will be eaten alive in todays society.
[sarcasm] Children shouldn't be exposed to anything dangerous, they should safely be placed in front of the tv, then fed unhealthy foods until they are overweight, develop diabetes and have heart failure. [/sarcasm]

I don't understand why people complain about how others enjoy themselves. If you are unhappy about ATV riders using lands they shouldn't be on you should be in full support of providing land for them to use. Same with skateboarding, BMX biking and so on. But no, its way easier to just want something you don't like abolished, after all thats what america is all about.

and did i read that right? someone is concerned about fumes from a one or 2 cylinder ATV? thats insane. I bet your daily driver has 6 or 7 more cylinders than that little ATV and spews way more taxic gasses. same with all those cars that drive past your house...buts that ok, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania