Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 PM

676 posts, read 720,631 times

Advertisements

Grannyb60. Not being able to drive will make it difficult to live in hemlock farms. It's a very nice community with many activities, but it's not like Brooklyn where you are walking distance to stores. You would need a car to get around.

Hemlock farms is in lords valley, not Milford. It's further west than Milford, and is pretty remote.

If you google it you can get information about the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Grannyb60. Not being able to drive will make it difficult to live in hemlock farms. It's a very nice community with many activities, but it's not like Brooklyn where you are walking distance to stores. You would need a car to get around.

Hemlock farms is in lords valley, not Milford. It's further west than Milford, and is pretty remote.

If you google it you can get information about the community.
Great information! I love the Google 'Earth' program. Potential residents can use their ruler to measure distances to surrounding communities for shopping. Google offers a 'free' and a paid version of that program - the free one works fine for most of us.

Here is one little example of why people would want to live close to hospitals as they age or have medical conditions. I live in Swiftwater; which is only 10 to 16 miles from two hospitals. This past weekend I started to pass a kidney stone. At one time I was throwing up from the pain and my fever was rising so I tried calling my local hospitals. The first hospital told me that they had no urologist on duty; but I could come in and be 'evaluated'. I did not want to be evaluated - I wanted the stone removed! The second hospital I could not reach on the local number they have advertised on the web. So I called their system number and they transferred me to the local emergency room. They also said they had no urologist on duty - but they would evaluate me! Both said that their hospitals in the Lehigh Valley had urologist on duty - but not here. Fortunately, without their help, I passed my 'baby' early Monday morning.

But there are problems that people never thought about when living in the city. They feel that their lives will not change when moving to the country. Potential new residents need realistic expectations.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:16 PM

104 posts, read 189,858 times
For the OP who didn't buy in Saw Creek because of the posts about gangs in these forums...

A handful of people on these forums also ALMOST convinced my husband and I not to move to the Bushkill area nearly 4 years ago. Thank God we didn't listen to the people who wish we could turn back the clock to what the Poconos was like in 1950.

I've never seen ANYTHING like what they describe with crime, garbage, traffic, etc. We've always felt very safe here. The diversity of the community was a selling point to us, not a detraction as it seems to be for so many.

This area is beautiful and peaceful. We sit out on our back deck and watch the deer in the evenings, and count our lucky stars that we were able to have such a beautiful home on such a small budget. Our friends from the city come to visit and their jaws just drop--they can't believe that a place like this exists and that it's so affordable.

Buying our house here was one of the best decisions we made. I don't know that it will ever increase a lot in value--I don't think it's increased at all since we bought--but it's the perfect place for us to live. We're happy here.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abundantly_Above View Post
For the OP who didn't buy in Saw Creek because of the posts about gangs in these forums...

A handful of people on these forums also ALMOST convinced my husband and I not to move to the Bushkill area nearly 4 years ago. Thank God we didn't listen to the people who wish we could turn back the clock to what the Poconos was like in 1950.

I've never seen ANYTHING like what they describe with crime, garbage, traffic, etc. We've always felt very safe here. The diversity of the community was a selling point to us, not a detraction as it seems to be for so many.

This area is beautiful and peaceful. We sit out on our back deck and watch the deer in the evenings, and count our lucky stars that we were able to have such a beautiful home on such a small budget. Our friends from the city come to visit and their jaws just drop--they can't believe that a place like this exists and that it's so affordable.

Buying our house here was one of the best decisions we made. I don't know that it will ever increase a lot in value--I don't think it's increased at all since we bought--but it's the perfect place for us to live. We're happy here.
This is a great post. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to buying any house. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Sometimes it only takes one bad neighbor to give any new buyer/renter bad vibes about any area.

Right now we have wild turkeys every morning and a handful of deer that visit. We have one doe that is just starting to bring out her new fawn. You do not get that in the city.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This is a great post. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to buying any house. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Sometimes it only takes one bad neighbor to give any new buyer/renter bad vibes about any area.

Right now we have wild turkeys every morning and a handful of deer that visit. We have one doe that is just starting to bring out her new fawn. You do not get that in the city.
I totally agree with that. Its really what we are comfortable with that will fit our needs at the time.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 32,154 times
Dear Amanda you got lucky! If you bought in sewer Creek, you would have to deal with the ongoing short term rental nightmares. Management dies NOTHING to enforce noise rules and weekend party houses are the norm, not the exception. And here's the proof: the general manager responded to you that Saw Creek is Air B and B friendly!!!! Air B and B, Home Away, etc., are vacation rental websites, and investors who bought homes in Saw Creek advertise for rentals on those websites. If they really cared about homeowners, they would stop the short term rentals, period! Party house destroy our amenities and property values!

Old 09-10-2017, 07:44 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
Hi Amanda,

My name is David Martin and I'm the General Manager of Saw Creek Estates. Please let me put you at ease regarding our community. I've been the on-site manager at Saw Creek Estates for more than 10 years. I can assure you there are no gangs in Saw Creek - none - and negative about subsidized housing are equally inaccurate. Saw Creek Estates is a great family-oriented community. One of the few true 4-season (you know we have a ski hill?) vacation/resort communities in the Poconos. We are also Airbnb-friendly. I invite you to contact our Member Services team to answer any questions you may have or to arrange a visit.
Bunch of BS as always!! Get rid of the short-term rentals and unauthorized party houses, lower the dues, and then maybe you'd have what you say....otherwise, as everyone knows, gated communities are just for Section 8's, gang bangers, and big city low-lifes.....

Old 09-10-2017, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,496 times
Regarding Saw Creek Estates...
My wife and I originated from a little beach town on LI and wanted the best of both worlds (beach and mountains).
We searched hi and low, NY and PA, for almost a year. Saw Creek Estates had more to offer than all the rest; between both the indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs, indoor and outdoor tennis and basketball courts, ski lift and hills, sledding, fishing, boating, and more. We bought a home in 2015 and couldn't be happier.
Besides Saw Creek Estates' desirable amenities, it has the best management team, security professionals and maintenance crew.
Also, every resident we have met in our two years here have been very friendly and welcoming.
Best decision we've made.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 AM

12 posts, read 32,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Bunch of BS as always!! Get rid of the short-term rentals and unauthorized party houses, lower the dues, and then maybe you'd have what you say....otherwise, as everyone knows, gated communities are just for Section 8's, gang bangers, and big city low-lifes.....
David Webb, your comments to Dave Martin are spot on! It's obvious by his response to Amanda Moon that he doesn't care a lick about homeowners who live here and don't rent out their homes! He actually writes that saw creek is a 4 season vacation/resort communities!! Last time I checked, saw creek is a HOMEOWNER association, not a resort! We live here, this is not Disneyland! Thank you for sharing your comments with this thread!

Old 09-10-2017, 08:38 AM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
the hoa we were in allowed no short term rentals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania