Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 13,718 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I live in Hoboken, NJ. We are considering purchasing a vacation/summer home in the Poconos. By chance, we came across websites for homes at the Hideout in Lake Ariel. It seems really nice there, but we are completely clueless about communities/areas in the Poconos.

We don't have any children, so schools are not an issue. We would prefer a gated community type area, or an area where shops, bars, and restaurants are close. We're interested in being in an area within close distance to amenities. Being city-dwellers, we're a bit squeamish about dealing with well water and septic tanks, so we're looking for public water & sewage.

Can anyone recommend any places that would be good for us? Websites would be great too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 02:51 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,556,288 times
I do know what to tell you but what I hear from Realtors they all tell us to stay away from the Hideout. We were looking in that area and were not even taken to see houses in the Hideout. When we asked, "why' we were told there were quite a bit of break in's and the school district is bad. The best advice I can give you is to walk around the neighbor and talk to people. It saves quite a bit of headache down the road and then you are not surprised. Talk to the locals! Good luck!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 PM

30 posts, read 148,159 times
Well if you want sewer and water then I really don't know. but I can tell you-very strongly- stay far away from Pocono Country Place!!!! And Tobyhanna!!!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:14 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
I do know what to tell you but what I hear from Realtors they all tell us to stay away from the Hideout. We were looking in that area and were not even taken to see houses in the Hideout. When we asked, "why' we were told there were quite a bit of break in's and the school district is bad. The best advice I can give you is to walk around the neighbor and talk to people. It saves quite a bit of headache down the road and then you are not surprised. Talk to the locals! Good luck!
There isn't a local realtor in The Hideout vicinity that would avoid showing houses in The Hideout. As far as break ins..that information is untrue. The Hideout prides itself on a very low crime rate, with many years of no break-ins whatsoever. As far as the schools...there are better in the area, but Western Wayne is not a bad school.
There is a lot of information on this forum about The Hideout, just do a search with 'The Hideout' as your topic and many of your questions will be answered. I have lived in The Hideout for 13 1/2 yrs. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I've heard some great things about The Hideout, but if you want to have conveniences at your fingertips, then you'll probably want to keep looking. Nearby Hamlin has a lot of conveniences to keep you satisfied, but the major towns/shopping districts in the region (Honesdale, Dickson City, Scranton, etc.) are all quite a hike away. Hamlin has grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, banks, fast-food restaurants, etc., but if you're looking for nightlife, apparel shopping, coffee houses, and other "urban" amenities, you'll have to trek to Scranton or Honesdale.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 17,103 times
Theres some homes for sale just north of PCP, it surrounds lake dresser.
Does anyone know if thats a gated community, (i read it was part of PCP)
And does anyone know what kind of area it is?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
High hat
When we were looking,our realtor had absolutely no problem showing us anything that we wanted to see ; beit in the Hideout or WLE. It was up to us to tell her where we wanted to see and buy.
We ended up being in contract on a home that suits our needs in WLE. A few people here said that there were problems, but couldnt give me specifics, others said it was a great place. Without any specifics which i asked for, it was hard to get the total honest opinion.
d

Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM

70 posts, read 311,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8008 View Post
Theres some homes for sale just north of PCP, it surrounds lake dresser.
Does anyone know if thats a gated community, (i read it was part of PCP)
And does anyone know what kind of area it is?

Dresser Lake is the lake in the K and L sections of PCP.

I worked for several years as a security guard in PCP before becoming a cop in the area. I'd advise against PCP.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 PM

30 posts, read 78,096 times
I like the communites and area closer to Rt 6 ; along 507 -- more restaurants and shopping, IGA supermarket, close to major highways -- check out Tanglwood North (1/2mile off 507 on 390) and Tanglwood Lakes much further on 507 -- nice comunities

Old 03-17-2008, 06:22 PM

936 posts, read 2,398,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duoak View Post
Hi. My husband and I live in Hoboken, NJ. We are considering purchasing a vacation/summer home in the Poconos. By chance, we came across websites for homes at the Hideout in Lake Ariel. It seems really nice there, but we are completely clueless about communities/areas in the Poconos.

We don't have any children, so schools are not an issue. We would prefer a gated community type area, or an area where shops, bars, and restaurants are close. We're interested in being in an area within close distance to amenities. Being city-dwellers, we're a bit squeamish about dealing with well water and septic tanks, so we're looking for public water & sewage.

Can anyone recommend any places that would be good for us? Websites would be great too. Thanks.
My husband and I are moving into the hideout, hopefully by July. We also dont have any children. I only heard good things about the hideout. They have their own restaurant and bar on the property. I ate in the restaurant and enjoyed the food and it is reasonable. There is also two other bars right outside the gate, and also restaurants.

We are from NYC and are very happy about our move. We used remax best which is right by the hideout. We decided to build a home and are using D&D builders. Their web address is probably Default PLESK Page. Another place to go is WWW.Pare.org. You can put in how much you want to spend and also what communities you would like to live in and you pretty much get all the listings.
By the way the crime thing isnt true about the hideout. My husbands cousin lives there for 6 years and he and his wife love it there. They told me that they made so many friends there and they are very happy with their decision to live there.

Good luck with your hunt!!!

roxy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania