Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 PM

22 posts, read 34,570 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for a vacation home in the Poconos in general. I would like to rent this home out as vacation home rental and also enjoy it ourselves for a few weeks in a year. I don't know the Poconos very well and have been on a few vacation trips to Pike and Monroe counties. I would appreciate it if anyone can share your thoughts on the following:

1. Is vacation home rental a good investment idea in the Poconos, especially now and in the next few years? How's the renting market?

2. I prefer a four-season vacation home. Is Bushkill a good choice? In particular, how is Saw Creek Estate community? I saw a lot of houses on sale in this community and it looks like they have pretty good amenities.

3. I live in Northern NJ. Is it doable for us to maintain/manage our own vacation home rental?

Thank you very much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times
Community's want extra Money when renting out your house .I'd read the By laws 1st ..

Also I would RUN Away from Bushkill altogether ... Its almost Ghetto like .... I'd look twards Milford .. But thats just me ...

Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 PM

234 posts, read 940,212 times
A vacation home that you rent out can be a good investment in this economy, but nothing is that easy.

You can buy nice houses almost anywhere at fire sale prices. Renting it out could give you a positive cash flow right away if you wanted a year-round tenant. If you are looking at short-term rentals so that you can use it for a few weeks, that changes the picture.

It is my own personal opinion that short-term renters usually create problems. It is for this reason that many communities are now taking steps to make it harder to do that. Riverside4ever is right. Check with a real estate agent to see if they know which communities don't make it too hard.

If you are willing to put in the work, then it shouldn't be difficult to take care of the place from Northern NJ. I wasn't renting, but I had my place as a vacation home for a few years before I moved here full time. The drive isn't bad at all if you stay away from rush hour traffic.

Personally, I think that Saw Creek is going downhill but you should investigate that on your own.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisbb View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a vacation home in the Poconos in general. I would like to rent this home out as vacation home rental and also enjoy it ourselves for a few weeks in a year. I don't know the Poconos very well and have been on a few vacation trips to Pike and Monroe counties. I would appreciate it if anyone can share your thoughts on the following:

1. Is vacation home rental a good investment idea in the Poconos, especially now and in the next few years? How's the renting market?

2. I prefer a four-season vacation home. Is Bushkill a good choice? In particular, how is Saw Creek Estate community? I saw a lot of houses on sale in this community and it looks like they have pretty good amenities.

3. I live in Northern NJ. Is it doable for us to maintain/manage our own vacation home rental?

Thank you very much for your time!
A Pocono Country Place has a lot of really good deals. I'm sure you could turn a profit there. Also try posting the house on craigslist.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,361,234 times
PCP? C'mon!!! The OP is looking for something in a decent area. I live in Bushkill and I can tell you that it isn't the most desirable area but you can make it work. I don't live in Saw Creek but I haven't heard good things about it. I visited someone I know there once but it seemed ok then. Again no experience. Do your research and come up here for a few days to see for yourself.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Community's want extra Money when renting out your house .I'd read the By laws 1st ..

Also I would RUN Away from Bushkill altogether ... Its almost Ghetto like .... I'd look twards Milford .. But thats just me ...
yeah you're right bushkill is crappy. lotta crime and just plain bad people to live around.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 AM

16 posts, read 33,597 times
I happen to live in bushkill, i don't think i'm a bad person and i don't see any crime. It's more community specific rather than town wide. If you lump everyone together and take just the worst area/community as an accurate representation i would say that not really fair...and it would hurt the representation of almost any town or city.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times
The ones that done SEE whats going on are the ones with "" Blinders On '' ..

Monroe county is SHOT .. Its almost ( not all But MOST ) the ghetto.. just go to a school bus stop.. and pay attention ..

Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 PM

16 posts, read 33,597 times
Thanks for being rude, some of bushkill is in Pike Co. as well

Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 PM

22 posts, read 34,570 times
To all who responded: thank you for your input!

I don't know bushkill very well. I just happened to have noticed that it's quite scenic and the area is close to a lot of vacation activities. If there's potential issue regarding the communities in general, I would certainly think twice.

So far I only looked at the Pike county and the Monroe county. What do you think of Tannersville then? Or maybe I should take a look at places a litter farther away, like, Jim Thorpe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania