Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 11,105 times

Advertisements

Hi. Just wanted to make sure of my understanding here. But since my UI will be up in 4 weeks I should be good to go into EUC08 Tier 1 since it's before the 11/20/10 deadline correct? Also it should roll into it with nothing on my part correct?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmicj View Post
Hi. Just wanted to make sure of my understanding here. But since my UI will be up in 4 weeks I should be good to go into EUC08 Tier 1 since it's before the 11/20/10 deadline correct? Also it should roll into it with nothing on my part correct?

Thanks!!
Yes, but only if you monetarily qualify for it. Extensions aren't automatic, you have to monetarily qualify. But if you do, you should roll right into it.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Gotcha. What would make someone ineligible?

Thanks again!!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. What would make someone ineligible?

Thanks again!!
To my knowledge, as long as you remain otherwise eligible for UI, nothing makes anyone ineligible for the EUC extensions with the exception of not monetarily qualifying for them. To qualify for the EUC series of extensions, your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5x the high quarter of the base period. Simple example:

High quarter in base period: $10,000. Therefore, the total base period wages would need to be equal to or greater than $15,000 (1.5x $10,000) in order to qualify for extensions.

You can also qualify for extensions if your total base period wages are equal to or greater than your weekly benefit amount x 40.

There are no exceptions to monetarily qualifying for extensions; if you do, you do. If you don't, you don't. I've seen claims that were short a few dollars to qualify. They did not get the extensions.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Ah ok. I should be fine then. I'm assuming the EUC acts as a new claim and would in Sept. 10, so the base period would be April'09-March'10 correct? I assume wages would include normal employment wages as well as severance/separation payment, then UI as well correct? If thats the case I should be well within 1.5x. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Ah ok. I should be fine then. I'm assuming the EUC acts as a new claim and would in Sept. 10, so the base period would be April'09-March'10 correct? I assume wages would include normal employment wages as well as severance/separation payment, then UI as well correct? If thats the case I should be well within 1.5x. Thanks!
No, the EUC doesn't act as a new claim. Your eligibility for EUC is based off of your current benefit year. At the end of your benefit year (whenever it ends), you may have enough wages in the base period (and yes, if it's Sept 2010 that your benefit year ends and you begin another one, the base period is the last three quarters of 2009 and the first quarter of 2010) to begin a new benefit year. If you have enough wages in the benefit year at that time, AND, if you've also worked DURING your current benefit year (from the effective date of your claim until the date your benefit year ends) and earned at least $4,557 spanning two different quarters during the benefit year, then you would qualify for a new benefit year with new regular UI. If you don't meet both of those requirements, then a "dummy" benefit year would be set up for you at that time and your unused EUC money would be transferred to the "dummy" benefit year for you to continue drawing.

Also, UI payments are not added to the wage file and cannot be used to determine eligibility to receive benefits. So no, you can't count any UI you've received toward your base period wages for either regular UI or extensions.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:07 PM

Ok, well that makes it easier since My claim for this year was started in March. So I worked or had severance the entire base period. My first year filed in 09 was for a MULA and was a waiting week. Then didn't receive UI till Oct. And since I havn't worked this benefit year so far I wouldn't be eligible for a new one in '11 the EUC would carry over.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I couldn't find the base period chart until I looked under the business section.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 AM

3 posts, read 16,383 times
Just started the process for drawing UI.

I noticed a statement that appeared several times about having to apply "in person" on two different days to two different employers to maintain eligibility.

What does this really mean? Very few employers accept anything other than online applications now.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM

30 posts, read 49,875 times
JDLJR or KC-Carolina (or anyone else)...

I think I understand after reviewing info on the ESC website... DH interviewed for a FT courier position with a local company... they called him today (yeah!) - unfortunately, the job he applied for was filled, but they asked if he would be interested in part-time & the guy told him it would help him get his foot in the door... he's interested & waiting to hear back on logistics...

- it is part-time -- starting out every other Sat & Sun and eventually going to every Sat & Sun (the first two weeks - he will have 2 days of training outside the Sat & Sun)
- regarding ESC -- just using round numbers for purpose of illustration & understanding...

say he earns -- $200.
ESC says he can have earnings up to $60 per week
$200 - $60 = $140
the $140 would be subtracted from his ESC & he could draw his remaining weekly amount

Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles93 View Post
JDLJR or KC-Carolina (or anyone else)...

I think I understand after reviewing info on the ESC website... DH interviewed for a FT courier position with a local company... they called him today (yeah!) - unfortunately, the job he applied for was filled, but they asked if he would be interested in part-time & the guy told him it would help him get his foot in the door... he's interested & waiting to hear back on logistics...

- it is part-time -- starting out every other Sat & Sun and eventually going to every Sat & Sun (the first two weeks - he will have 2 days of training outside the Sat & Sun)
- regarding ESC -- just using round numbers for purpose of illustration & understanding...

say he earns -- $200.
ESC says he can have earnings up to $60 per week
$200 - $60 = $140
the $140 would be subtracted from his ESC & he could draw his remaining weekly amount
Hi ,
I just answered your private message, but basically you have it correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina