Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM

18 posts, read 36,147 times

Advertisements

I am currently drawing unemployment in NC and face the prospect of having to cash out my 401k to cover a large expense. Does doing so affect your weekly UI benefit? I recall on the weekly certification it asks something about retirement/pension payments, but can't remember the exact verbiage and wasn't sure if it applied to this sort of thing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,443,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormyB View Post
Ok, now I' wodnerign , I started to receive EB for about 5 weeks until they finally reinstated the tiers, then they switched me back to the tiers, , my question is this: Since I was eligible for th EB a few months ago, will I still be egible for it (EB) in a few weeks when my tier 4 runs out too? Now i'm getting nervous .
Yes, you should still be monetarily eligible for EB after your Tier 4, provided you remain otherwise eligible.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
Ugh....have logged 20.5 hrs at the new job, which consists of memorizing multi digit account #s for nearly 100 vendors, plus a whole lot more..each vendor has a separate protocol & set of paperwork that I am expected to already know/recognize & respond IMMEDIATELY. My 3rd day, the boss lights into me about being slow, has called me a "half-wit," "lacking even half a brain," and "just plain stupid." Any question I have is met with rolling of the eyes, huffing & puffing, wringing of the hands, ranting & raving about how it's numbers, not rocket science, etc. Stomping, yelling & waving of the arms is the typical day...evidently. Never been shown around the office suite or given even cursory information, so when my printer ran out of ink & I asked where I could find a replacement cartridge, the boss pounded desk with fists, stomped into the next cubicle & retrieved a new cartridge, marched to my printer & made the change, while mumbling she knew I would never figure it out on my own! I cannot even think straight for fear of the next bizarre fit of rage. I once had a job where I was required to email the office manager before I went to the bathroom, then again when I returned to my desk. I thought THAT was unreasonable, but this...this is a nightmare, or else some sick experiment. I know it's an employers' market but this is just twisted. I wish there was some sort of small, concealable camera/recorder I could take in with me next week, because I know this sounds so crazy that no one would ever believe me without some sort of proof. Pretty sure that would be illegal though...but then folks plant cameras in their homes to spy on babysitters, etc. I just don't think this is going to end well & I wish I could think of some way to document/prove my word that this boss is a nutjob. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Oh my gosh, that's awful! I truly am sorry that the new job has gotten off to such a bad start, she sounds totally unreasonable. No one should have to endure that kind of treatment. You're only human and I KNOW you're doing the best job you can.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
Well, here I am again. Unemployed. New boss was solo today, so just she & I. She stayed away from me all day until the end, when she told me she could see that I was not as speedy in completing tasks as she would like (I double & triple checked my work b/c she flipped out if there was a mistake & yelled insults at me) & although she appreciated my effort & thought I was a nice person, she really did not think I would be able to handle added responsibility from a time standpoint, so she took my time sheet, cut me a check, & wished me well. I guess it ended as well as could, BUT here I am again with no job (sigh). This, my 5th 1/2 day. OMG, do I feel worthless! I know I might be a little rusty, but to not be given any more of a chance than this to learn some fairly complicated procedures, is disheartening. I AM proud of myself for not reacting to her maniacal outbursts, insults & humiliation, though. I kinda pity the next person. I noticed that every day, there was at least 1 or 2 calls from customers who absolutely refused to speak with her & specifically asked for the other person who does the same job as her. I guess that's pretty telling. Back to the grind......
Deerest, I'm SO SORRY that it didn't work out. She was not a reasonable person, everyone deserves a chance to get acclimated to the position. But you're right, you kept your dignity and professionalism intact. I wish you the best and hope that your employment search produces something much better!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowQuilts View Post
I have never recieved benefits for unemployment, this is my first time filing ever so that's probably why I'm a little lost.

Quick Question-
I recieved three letters in the mail today. One stating "You are monetarily eligible for Extended Benefits (EB) as follows:" Another saying, "You are monetarily eligible for EUC benefits as follows:" Both letters continuing to show the same amount. I'm taking "Monetarily eligible" as I'm going to finally get some money. So the question is, how long before I get it, and will I be getting it from EB and EUC?
Not sure why you would have gotten multiple letters, but I'm also not clear on whether you've been receiving regular UI up to this point. It could be that they've just sent those letters telling you that you would qualify monetarily, but if you're still waiting for an issue to be resolved even to get regular UI, you would not get the EUC or EB yet. Monetary determinations are not guarantees that you're going to receive benefits if you're still waiting for a decision from adjudication. It's just telling you what your benefit would be if approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowska View Post
Probably a dumb question, but I've finally found full time employment. Should I keep filing and just plug in my weekly pay (I won't be drawing unemployment) Or do I just stop filing all together?
Yes, if you're working full time you're not unemployed and therefore would need to stop filing your claim - even if your new full time employment pays less than your previous full time employment.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareWave View Post
I am currently drawing unemployment in NC and face the prospect of having to cash out my 401k to cover a large expense. Does doing so affect your weekly UI benefit? I recall on the weekly certification it asks something about retirement/pension payments, but can't remember the exact verbiage and wasn't sure if it applied to this sort of thing.

Thanks
If you cash out a 401K in a lump sum, you would report the gross amount of your cashout ONLY the week that you receive it. It affects that one week only, not each week.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 PM

Default I'm baaaaaack!

KC and Deerest...thanks so much for helping to answer questions while I was gone on vacation, I really appreciate your help! I returned home Saturday night but didn't get on the board yesterday. Back at work today, both at the office and here! I didn't want my vacation to end, but all good things must, I suppose!

Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,959 times
Has anyone gotten a 3rd benefit year? My 2nd year is almost over. I have apps in everywhere and still no luck.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM

131 posts, read 233,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
KC and Deerest...thanks so much for helping to answer questions while I was gone on vacation, I really appreciate your help! I returned home Saturday night but didn't get on the board yesterday. Back at work today, both at the office and here! I didn't want my vacation to end, but all good things must, I suppose!

Thanks again.
Welcome back!!! Hope you had a wonderful time. Yeah, it's always hard to come back. Did my best with some of the questions, although I always worry about missing some point that could change the entire scenario, so hope I did OK. THanks for the well wishes. I actually started looking (applying) for other openings after the first outburst. I could tell she is an over-the-top Type A, & part of my job experience has been identifying personality types & responding to them in a manner that they identify with. Having said that, this poor woman's demeanor changed with every twist, turn, phone call, question, etc., so I suspect she has bipolar disorder and/or anger management issues, too. I never knew what to expect from one minute to the next & I spent most of the time shaking in my shoes, stomach tied in knots, triple checking everything. On Friday she actually charged toward me & jestured with her hands like she was going to choke my neck...it was scary. I know I was near my threshold for abuse, & so it is probably for the best. I actually think she is capable of violence, so this time, I'm counting myself lucky.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super1234 View Post
Has anyone gotten a 3rd benefit year? My 2nd year is almost over. I have apps in everywhere and still no luck.
Sometimes a third year is possible, but it all depends on wages in the base period, or, how much remaining unused extension money is left from the previous benefit year. At some point, the benefits do end, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina