Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,439,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by super1234 View Post
It is the end of my 2nd year. Will they still pull forward? How do can you tell if you have monies left?
If you attempt a 3rd benefit year and don't have enough wages to establish a new, regular UI claim, then if you have any unused extension money from the previous benefit year, they should pull that forward. You can check your benefit payment history on our website, or better yet (since sometimes the online benefit payment history may not be completely accurate), visit or call your local office and hopefully someone will spend the time to check your claim to let you know what tier you're in and how much is left, and what further monies you may have. It's really easy to determine and do a quick summarization of a claim, but sometimes you have to find the right person to be able to spend the time to do it, and hopefully give you the right info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,953 times
So I haven't worked in 2 years, so I wouldn't have any regular wages to go by would I? I am confused looking at the chart and trying to figure it out. This week I received half of what I normally get. This happened back in Juy too when my Tier ended. It never stopped even though the vote by Congress had not gone through. I just got half amounts for 2 weeks. I try to call the local office and no one ever answers.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super1234 View Post
So I haven't worked in 2 years, so I wouldn't have any regular wages to go by would I? I am confused looking at the chart and trying to figure it out. This week I received half of what I normally get. This happened back in Juy too when my Tier ended. It never stopped even though the vote by Congress had not gone through. I just got half amounts for 2 weeks. I try to call the local office and no one ever answers.
If you've not worked in two years then no, you wouldn't have any wages in the base period to be able to use to establish a new benefit year. So in this case, if you had any unused extension money left in your current benefit year, it would be pulled forward when you file for a new benefit year.

If your benefit year ends 9/25, I would recommend that you do your weekly certification for the week ending 9/25 shortly thereafter. Then, the following day file for a new benefit year (either on our website or at the local office). If they're transferring the unused extension money, you won't have to serve a new waiting week.

I cannot ascertain where you are with your benefits, but "two half amounts" would seem to indicate that you got the last payment of Tier 3, then the 14th week at that time. If that's the case, then you would have transitioned into Tier 4, which is a short tier. You may be in EB right now.

I know getting ahold of your local office can be a challenge but you can also try calling the remote service center if you want to know what tier of benefits you're in. Either way, to get the best, up to date picture of your claim you're going to have to talk to someone.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM

330 posts, read 461,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Just a heads up - I learned upon my return to work today after being gone all last week and two days the previous week that the 6x rule (must have worked and earned at least 6x the average weekly wage, or $4,557, during your current benefit year to qualify for a subsequent benefit year and another round of regular UI) should have been applied to ALL subsequent benefit year claims established in 2010, not just those starting on or after May 16th as previously enacted. This was neither an ESC nor a DOL error. It was just something that should have been done that wasn't, and DOL informed ESC of it recently. So some folks that established subsequent benefit years between Jan 1st and May 16th who at that time would not have met the 6x rule may be receiving overpayment letters, as they may have received more benefits than they were entitled to. As always, though, a waiver of overpayment request can be filed with your local office.
wait, WHAT? i'm confused. "6x during your current benefit year to qualify for a subsequent benefit year..." do you mean to use "benefit year" in both parts of that phrase, or "base period" in the first part? because if you didnt, that sounds like "you need to make $4557 in the first year you arent working, since my First benefit year started right after i was laid off.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
wait, WHAT? i'm confused. "6x during your current benefit year to qualify for a subsequent benefit year..." do you mean to use "benefit year" in both parts of that phrase, or "base period" in the first part? because if you didnt, that sounds like "you need to make $4557 in the first year you arent working, since my First benefit year started right after i was laid off.
Yes, I used "benefit year" twice, correctly. The rule is, you must return to work DURING your first benefit year and earn at least $4,557 spanning two quarters of that benefit year in order to qualify for a new, 2nd benefit year and new, regular UI. While many folks say "how can I return to work when I can't find a job", many folks are thinking of only obtaining full time employment. Claimants are highly encouraged to take even part time employment which would, if working enough hours, give you the earnings needed during your first benefit year to qualify for a 2nd benefit year. And while working a part time job, you can still file for your weekly certifications (reporting any gross earnings each week, of course) as long as you're continuing to search for full time employment.

Don't confuse "wages in the base period" with "earnings in your benefit year". Yes, even if you have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a 2nd benefit year, you still must have WORKED and EARNED at least $4,557 DURING your first benefit year to qualify for a 2nd benefit year with new, regular UI. Yes, AFTER getting laid off from your job that caused you to need to file for unemployment. If not, you won't get another round of regular UI in a 2nd benefit year even if you do have enough wages in the base period. In this case a "dummy" benefit year would be established when you file and your unused extension money from your first benefit year would be transferred to the new "dummy" benefit year for you to continue to draw.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM

no one i spoke to in the ESC office ever mentioned dummy year. no one ever said, hey, it looks like you dont meet the 6x rule, and i've been in there several times for EB eligibility reviews back when Congress hadnt extended funds. i just ck'd online and my claim profile remains unchanged with no issues. i made $20k in 4thQ/2008 and 1stQ/2009, the wages that were in my 2nd benefit year base period, a benefit year that started 2/28/2010. so, what am i missing? when did the 6x rule take effect, exactly?

*** EDIT:typed in the wrong date above, so if you havent read it, its right now anyway.

i must be missing the date, i'm sure thats key. you couldnt say to me on 2/28/10, for example, that hey, back in 2009 we really meant to encourage any and all work so that you could meet the 6x rule we're about to put into effect.

Last edited by rlincoln; 09-16-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
no one i spoke to in the ESC office ever mentioned dummy year. no one ever said, hey, it looks like you dont meet the 6x rule, and i've been in there several times for EB eligibility reviews back when Congress hadnt extended funds. i just ck'd online and my claim profile remains unchanged with no issues. i made $20k in 4thQ/2008 and 1stQ/2009, the wages that were in my 2nd benefit year base period, a benefit year that started 3/1/2009. so, what am i missing? when did the 6x rule take effect, exactly?
Originally it went into effect with 2nd benefit years beginning 5/16/10 or later. Now it's going to be retroactive to 2nd benefit years beginning 1/1/10 or later. Any claims filed before that are not affected.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally it went into effect with 2nd benefit years beginning 5/16/10 or later. Now it's going to be retroactive to 2nd benefit years beginning 1/1/10 or later. Any claims filed before that are not affected.
retroactive?
um.
thats....remarkable.
why not just make it retroactive to 2007 and save more money? why not make it 8x? 10x?
obviously, i know YOU, jdljr, have nothing to do with it. i'm just ranting into cyberspace.

i DID work, altho there was a whole confusion, since i was physically IN NC, but worked for a SC office that took its sweet time getting the withholdings changed from SC to NC.
if it came to pulling forward from benefit Year One, it would probably be a wash, anyway, esp with the current Nov 27 federal cutoff of funds.

retroactive. cute.
"Yeah, hello? is this my former employer? Hi. Yeah, its me. Say, i was just calling to tell you i'm retroactively upping that salary you paid me in 2008. Thanks a bunch."

Old 09-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
retroactive?
um.
thats....remarkable.
why not just make it retroactive to 2007 and save more money? why not make it 8x? 10x?
obviously, i know YOU, jdljr, have nothing to do with it. i'm just ranting into cyberspace.

i DID work, altho there was a whole confusion, since i was physically IN NC, but worked for a SC office that took its sweet time getting the withholdings changed from SC to NC.
if it came to pulling forward from benefit Year One, it would probably be a wash, anyway, esp with the current Nov 27 federal cutoff of funds.

retroactive. cute.
"Yeah, hello? is this my former employer? Hi. Yeah, its me. Say, i was just calling to tell you i'm retroactively upping that salary you paid me in 2008. Thanks a bunch."
Actually, the original policy, put in place I don't know how many years ago (at least 15, then not really enforced until resurrected this year) WAS 10x. But they changed it to 6x this year to try and give the claimant a break.

They haven't yet run the programming to make it retroactive, that should be coming soon. It may not affect some folks. Others will get overpayment notices. Just have to wait and see what happens.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, the original policy, put in place I don't know how many years ago (at least 15, then not really enforced until resurrected this year) WAS 10x. But they changed it to 6x this year to try and give the claimant a break.

They haven't yet run the programming to make it retroactive, that should be coming soon. It may not affect some folks. Others will get overpayment notices. Just have to wait and see what happens.
then i'd have to say that the office personnel i've met, the letters i've received, etc, have done an incredibly poor job of emphasizing that very crucial tidbit/requirement, ESPECIALLY if it was 10x at the time i started a 1st and then 2nd benefit year.
this forum is great, but it certainly isnt official, and how many unique readers have found this thread? compared to the thousands upon thousands of unemployed workers. then there's the confusion the requirement must cause between base period and benefit year and the confusion it causes with how much money you can earn without it affecting your UI. you just know there are people thinking if they earn $20, they are out of luck for that week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina