Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd111 View Post
This is not a Troll Post. I was told today by a very good source that a Tier V has been worked out , no details yet,just that workers at NCESCs are being told that yes a Tier V has Been Worked out and should go into effect evry soon, maybe before the 15th of April. Maybe some of you might have conections to confirm this info,or if JDLJR comes on tonight he can confirm??
Hmmmm...I have not heard one thing about a Tier V. I am in a local office, but that doesn't mean the rumblings aren't happening around Raleigh. Perhaps if this is true, then soon the local offices will be told something. I would think, though, that the Tier V would come from legislation at the federal level, just like Tier 3 and 4. I haven't seen anything in the news about Tier V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM

22 posts, read 38,257 times
I'm officially calling BS on the Tier 5 rumors.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:32 PM

No inside info here. But it doesn't smell right.

Very, very hard to believe that NC, which has distinguished itself among all fifty states and set the gold standard for mishandling EUC, would pop up a couple of weeks from now and proclaim: "Surprise! Tier 5 for all! And cake!"

No.

If NC goes to a Tier 5, it will only be after the feds drag them kicking and screaming, and they have exhausted every last deadline, excuse, computer glitch, and brow beaten down as many potential recipients as they can.

I don't know the motivation for that rumor, but either the NCESC rep is messing with you, or the post is simply a fake.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 PM

I'd like to think the rumor is true, but I'd also like to think I could crap out golden eggs.

Hoping don't make it so.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM

131 posts, read 232,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Hmmmm...I have not heard one thing about a Tier V. I am in a local office, but that doesn't mean the rumblings aren't happening around Raleigh. Perhaps if this is true, then soon the local offices will be told something. I would think, though, that the Tier V would come from legislation at the federal level, just like Tier 3 and 4. I haven't seen anything in the news about Tier V.
THis rumor is understandable, as I have subscribed to Google alerts regarding UE Extensions/Tier 5, and got this alert yesterday. At first I thought it was referring to adding a 5th Tier, but, if you read it carefully, it is merely referring to a new extension, but adds no Tiers. If you read through the comments, it gives contact info to ask your Senators to introduce something.

U.S. Senate to vote on another unemployment extension « Michigan Messenger (http://michiganmessenger.com/36037/u-s-senate-to-vote-on-another-unemployment-extension - broken link)

Congrats to the poster who finally got a job! I applied again at McD's at the same time as my son's 17 yr old girlfriend about 10 day ago. I never heard anything, but she got hired. This is the 4th fast food job I've applied for with no luck, and the 2nd time I've lost out to a 17 yr. old (that I'm aware of). I, too, am in my 50's, have worked since I was 15, & never gone this long without work. It's hard---I can relate to the poster who stated they are 30 in the head (lol), and it's difficult to think I've reached the "undesirable age" for employment. The person who posted about getting a job gave me some renewed hope---Thanks!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,081 times
Are there any TAA recipients in this group who's accounts have been messed up by all of this crap, such as determinations of overpayment which in turn causes your weekly benefits to be reduced? And does anyone know if anything ever became of the wral news investigation? I got 4 more overpayment notices last week and was told today that my account was straightened out and was only paid a little over 1/3 of what I am supposed to get. I have sent out so many letters over the last few months that my fingers are getting biceps and I still haven't accomplished anything except a reputation in Raleigh. I just don't know what else to do. I feel that this a legal issue but I don't know who to else to contact.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
THis rumor is understandable, as I have subscribed to Google alerts regarding UE Extensions/Tier 5, and got this alert yesterday. At first I thought it was referring to adding a 5th Tier, but, if you read it carefully, it is merely referring to a new extension, but adds no Tiers. If you read through the comments, it gives contact info to ask your Senators to introduce something.

U.S. Senate to vote on another unemployment extension « Michigan Messenger (http://michiganmessenger.com/36037/u-s-senate-to-vote-on-another-unemployment-extension - broken link)

Congrats to the poster who finally got a job! I applied again at McD's at the same time as my son's 17 yr old girlfriend about 10 day ago. I never heard anything, but she got hired. This is the 4th fast food job I've applied for with no luck, and the 2nd time I've lost out to a 17 yr. old (that I'm aware of). I, too, am in my 50's, have worked since I was 15, & never gone this long without work. It's hard---I can relate to the poster who stated they are 30 in the head (lol), and it's difficult to think I've reached the "undesirable age" for employment. The person who posted about getting a job gave me some renewed hope---Thanks!
ha!

That's me the mentally 30 poster(lol), and in my supposedly
(fabulous fifties),although I feel my desirablitily is fading fast..... ha!
I actually told a potential employer when she asked what I could bring to the "Table"(?) in a new occupation I was interviewing for, that I was in my fab/50's and I could bring it to the table and fry it up in a pan,..... I didn't get the job of course, but we both had a good laugh.
It was for a managerial job at burger King and the girl ineterviewing me had to be all of 23 ish.
She said she loved my humor, but they needed someone w/ business experience in fast foods and only had minimal hrs. to offer on the floor, so KeRpLoP!
My fast food experience consists of being fired from taco Bell at age 16 when they were first created.... back in the late 70's
I made the burrito's TOO big, Geesh!

MY neighbor kid age 17,works at Burger King cleaning the grills when they're closed at night ... Some reference he turned out to be
On an up note, I did manage to get into a class starting in May to prepare me for the office side of things in the job field that I've worked in for many years., qualified for a small grant, so we'll see how my benefits will go around May

Last edited by KC~Carolina; 03-24-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 AM

177 posts, read 304,478 times
Are any of you surprised at the wages currently offered for jobs versus what the employers want?

Everyone wants 2-4 year degree, 6 plus years experience, and an enormous amount of skills. The job requires 50+ hours, night and weekend availability and pays a whooping.....sit down now.......$8-$10 and hour. Who can survive on that?

You apply anyway (because some money is better than none, UE is going to run out eventuallyand you hate not actually earning your living) then you compete with 400 or more people for the job. It is crazy. My local esc rep told me the way her people are getting jobs is to volunteer and work for free while they are on unemployment. This helps them she says build a relationship with the company and hopefully get a job at the end. Are you kiddding? I can't afford to work for free. It costs me gas, and daycare just to go. I certainly can't pay to work. Besides as a former business owner, why would I hire that person at the end when there is someone else willing to work for free????

Am I wrong?

Last edited by jskin; 03-25-2010 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,967 times
My DH was the one who finally was hired. Happy to say he got Tier 4 in the bank today! That will help us get caught up for the last 2.5 months we've been waiting...and waiting...and waiting. Again, I highly recommend applying with the state if you are of a certain age and just keep trying. He took a huge cut in pay from his last job, but who even cares at this point! He is so happy just working again.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:00 PM

12 posts, read 31,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
My DH was the one who finally was hired. Happy to say he got Tier 4 in the bank today! That will help us get caught up for the last 2.5 months we've been waiting...and waiting...and waiting. Again, I highly recommend applying with the state if you are of a certain age and just keep trying. He took a huge cut in pay from his last job, but who even cares at this point! He is so happy just working again.

That is great, congrats to your DH

How long did it take him to hear after the close date of the job? I have been applying also but haven't heard anything. Also how did he hear? Email or phone?

thanks!
Sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina