Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 01:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,444,587 times

Advertisements

Raleigh, Charlotte in top ten in Forbes Best Cities for Jobs ranking

The Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia metro and Raleigh both landed in among the top 10 on Forbes’ annual ranking of the best cities for jobs, The Charlotte region was ranked number 5 and Raleigh number 7 on the Forbes list.

The top ten included four other Southern Cities, with seven in the top 15. Dallas, Texas led the list, followed by Austin, TX, Nashville, TN; San Jose, CA; Charlotte; Orlando, FL; San Francisco; Seattle, WA; and Riverside-San Bernadino, CA.
Raleigh saw 2.6 percent job growth with the total numbering 623,000 in 2017, according to the magazine. Charlotte, with 1.2 million jobs in 2017, had 3 percent job growth.

Forbes noted that three heavyweights, New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago lost ground. New York had only 1.7 percent job growth in 2017 and landed at 24th on the list. Los Angeles placed at “a mediocre 48th with 1.3 percent job growth last year. Chicago did even worse, placing at 55th with only 0.4 percent job growth.
Austin, at 2nd place, had a strong 3.4 percent job growth last year and a diversified economy in which it boasts high wage jobs in both tech and business services, the magazine says.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/05...igh-charlotte/

Old 05-08-2018, 04:41 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Not sure but I would imagine they are concrete and steel. Idk what the zoning is like there either, could be the reason for dual 10 floor towers instead of one 20. Or they could just be building what they feel is appropriate for that area. I think that actual location is on Glenwood but south of 440 so not quite right in the hustle bustle mix of Crabtree. There’s a couple office buildings there but a 20 floor tower would probably still seem really out of place. Pretty big residential project nonetheless. The article in ITBinsider said they are approximately 130ft each so it sounds like luxury apartments where as the current Sterling Glenwoods complex they are expanding is not, I believe.
I guess it would look stupid versus in Midtown.10 floors is a great scale. loomimg but not too much. Just surprised by 10 floors for what I assume to be lower density (than midtown/downtown) but I guess they’ll charge a hefty premium since it won’t be wood framed

Didn’t realize CLT has the limebike scooters. I honestly don’t think the electric bikes or scooters are necessary for CLT. I think only the largest cities that are mass transit dominated make sense. But we’ll see. I saw two old white dudes trying to get on them today while passing by on the train

Old 05-08-2018, 05:04 PM

743 posts, read 827,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I guess it would look stupid versus in Midtown.10 floors is a great scale. loomimg but not too much. Just surprised by 10 floors for what I assume to be lower density (than midtown/downtown) but I guess they’ll charge a hefty premium since it won’t be wood framed

Didn’t realize CLT has the limebike scooters. I honestly don’t think the electric bikes or scooters are necessary for CLT. I think only the largest cities that are mass transit dominated make sense. But we’ll see. I saw two old white dudes trying to get on them today while passing by on the train
IMO sunbelt cities like Charlotte are perfect & likely profitable for shared scooters. The biggest issue wirh transit in car centic metros is the last mile from a stop. If you work in SouthPark for example, hoping on a scooter may be a better option than a regular bike & less expensive that uber or lyft

Old 05-09-2018, 07:22 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,737,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I'd guess limebike will bring their scooters to the Triangle sooner or later though.
Lime Bike has been in the Triangle since roughly last fall.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
IMO sunbelt cities like Charlotte are perfect & likely profitable for shared scooters. The biggest issue wirh transit in car centic metros is the last mile from a stop. If you work in SouthPark for example, hoping on a scooter may be a better option than a regular bike & less expensive that uber or lyft

I’ll disagree. I think it’s useful if say you live in an urban area. 5 or so blocks from a metro stop. Yeah, you can bike but in a suit, or for work. Bleh. I don’t wanna sweat before work, and I don’t want to walk adding 15 or so minutes to my commute. I plan on leaving my vehicle over night at a park & ride in Virginia and just reverse commute and I planned on getting my own electric scooter to ride from my apRtment to a metro stop.

In sunbelt cities, people are going to take the light rail from suburban areas into urban centers And usually light rail stops frequently in downtowns so it’s never a long walk.

I don’t see people using scooters, scooting down a busy thorough fare, with random areas where the sidewalks stop on one side and begin in the other, lack of Ped infrastructure and the feeling you must be a loser to be using the sidewalk on say, Tyvola if you were using it to SouthPark.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:55 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times
The wave of hotels in downtown Wilmington continues with the re-branding of the Hilton Riverside as the Ballast...

https://www.hotelballast.com/

A 96 room Hampton and 186 room Embassy Suites opened downtown in 2017. Plans were submitted in 2017 for a 10-story 125 room Hotel Indigo next to the Convention Center and for a 125 room 7 story Aloft Hotel as part of the renovations of the 100 year old Coastline Convention Center complex. Both of those hotels are expecting groundbreaking by June.

There are rumors of another hotel being part of a mixed use complex to be built at the site of WWAY TV, which is moving to Leland. The property was sold for $1.5 million and the old building is expected to be demolished to make way for the mixed use project that would overlook the River and Convention Center from Front St.

Wilmington credits much of the downtown Hotel development to the construction of its $60 million convention center on the riverfront during the economic downturn that was completed in 2010. By 2020 downtown Wilmington would have added over 1,000 hotel rooms in a 6 year period.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:05 AM

513 posts, read 512,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Lime Bike has been in the Triangle since roughly last fall.
Yeah, LimeBike has been in Greensboro for a while now too, but this is specifically about the electric scooters. Lime-S. Charlotte, DC, and Miami are the only East Coast cities that have them right now.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,444,587 times
Another old mill in Charlotte gets new life.
Expect some big announcements at South End’s Atherton Mill in the next few months.
Columbia, S.C.-based Edens says that less than 50% of available retail space is officially spoken for — though the bulk is tied up in negotiations or at the letter-of-intent stage of the process.
Additional tenants should be announced within the next 90 days, says Lyle Darnall, managing director for Edens.

In total, that project will bring roughly 60,000 square feet of new retail space to Charlotte's South End. It’s all part of Edens’ long-term vision to transform Atherton Mill into a destination for retail and dining.

he winner is a $100 million option that partners Edens with Charlotte-based Crescent Communities. It adds 346 apartments and street-level retail.
The historic mill property — which dates to the 1920s — has two-tenths of a mile of road frontage.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...rton-mill.html

Old 05-11-2018, 03:56 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,520,531 times
Hillsborough Street: Luxury condos going up by Player's Retreat | News & Observer

A pretty cool project. Right by the NCSU bell tower.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:26 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,036,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I love the design of those
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina