Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 09:00 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,568 times

Advertisements

I like that rendering a lot more then the one before with the Westin being a beige and pink color. And i like how they really dress up the parking deck. Bravo to Gboro on that project.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I like that rendering a lot more then the one before with the Westin being a beige and pink color. And i like how they really dress up the parking deck. Bravo to Gboro on that project.
I agree. Architecturally it's a much better design. The beige was a little ugly and I didn't understand some of the brown colored patterns that broke the building up. It was also a design a 12 year old could have come up with. That may have been a place holder design the city used to show off the deck design. The Westin will also help close a big gap in Greensboro's skyline between the 15 story Guilford Building and the tower cluster.

The Westin may not be a 17 or 20 story building but that's fine. A great skyline always have towers that vary in height which helps with the density. It would not be good to have every new tower around 18 and 20 stories. The Westin will be tall enough to be considered a highrise and at the same time it won't be tall enough to block the view of the other towers looking from the southeast, Greensboro's best skyline view.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-19-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,442,125 times
The renderings of buildings most of the time, does not look as good as the building after it is built. I think the Lincoln Harris/BOA 33 story office building in Charlotte looks better than the renderings.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
I think that deck will look terrible. It depends on the material and If it’s the material that looks like what you would find on any Fairfield Inn, it’ll look terrible. The Westin will look fab though.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:53 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I think that deck will look terrible. It depends on the material and If it’s the material that looks like what you would find on any Fairfield Inn, it’ll look terrible. The Westin will look fab though.
I think the deck will look great. Will certainly be the most attractive deck downtown at least until the other deck with the Aloft is built. My only complaint is while there is an effort to hide the fact that it's a deck, there are still open areas that reveal it's a deck. The windows should have been placed on the entire length of the deck making it look like a row of downtown commercial buildings.
But the greenery in the open areas do add a nice touch.

Here are some examples of better hidden decks.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-19-2018 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM

At the risk of getting panties twisted. Apple & Amazon are two recent examples of why Raleigh (along with Charlotte) are in a league of their own NC wise. Even looking at currently expanding and relocations to both cities. Charlotte hosted the DNC for Obama and will most likely host the RNC for Trump. Charlotte's skyline is booming and big for a city its size and not slowing down, Raleigh's RTP has gotten national attention for a year over Amazon and Apple. Charlotte's expanding for financial institutions and Raleigh's expanding tech. are incredible growth tools for the respective cities.

I'm not hinting at the other cities aren't growing or aren't transforming or what have you. But at the same time, huge things are happening in the entire metro's of RDU/CLT. Well. Not so much Charlotte metro rather than Charlotte But triangle is definitely a region wide boom.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:39 PM

That was one of the key takeaways from the Regional Transit Summit held at UNC Charlotte on Thursday, in which transit leaders, elected officials and consultants discussed what the future of transit could look like for the region. The summit was held in partnership with the Centralina Council of Governments and the Metropolian Transit Commission.

According to data from the N.C. Department of Transportation, the number of trips coming into or within Mecklenburg County daily breaks down this way:
  • 38,083 from Gastonia;
  • 32,616 from north Mecklenburg;
  • 67,185 from northeast Mecklenburg;
  • 27,204 from east Mecklenburg;
  • 35,506 from south Mecklenburg;
  • 52,192 from southwest Mecklenburg;
  • 281,823 from Charlotte;
  • 48,225 from Kannapolis and Concord;
  • 25,729 from Salisbury,
  • 26,246 from Iredell County; and
  • 28,834 from south Iredell.
Allen said about 40,000 people commute northward from York County to Charlotte daily and that the county is having a hard time keeping up with growth. York County has a Pennies for Progress program, a capital projects sales and use tax that helps pay for infrastructure projects, primarily road improvements. Allen said while the program has helped fund many projects, the county is lagging behind because of the pace of development.

That is 610,729 people a day traveling in or into Mecklenburg County a day.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...875&j=81710071

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-21-2018 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 PM

My favorite residential project in NC. Market 42. It’s one of the best looking residential towers I’ve see

https://www.foundrycommercial.com/co...E_20180518.pdf

Old 05-22-2018, 10:46 AM

Charlotte City Council on Monday approved plans from developers that will bring hundreds of new apartments and townhouses to northeast Charlotte.

Development interest in University City, home to major employers as well as the school, has been strong for years. But it's picked up in recent months, with the Blue Line light rail extension between the school and uptown now running. The areas north of University City are also attractive for developers seeking cheaper land and interstate access, especially since the 2015 completion of Interstate 485.

Mattamy Homes plans to build 167 townhouses near University Research Park, on Governor Hunt Road just off Mallard Creek Road. The townhouses would cover 38 acres, backing up to the office parks on David Taylor Drive.

Like much of University City, the area is getting denser fast: On the other side of David Taylor Drive, another proposal to build 92 townhouses on empty lots is under consideration, while City Council is weighing a plan to build 260 apartments on another site just north of West Mallard Creek Church Road.

And a mile away, at West Mallard Creek Church Road and Senator Royall Drive, Crescent Communities started construction recently on 280 more luxury apartments, set to open in 2019.

▪ A couple miles away from the Mattamy Homes project, Davis Development Inc. won approval for 234 apartments. The site is on Mallard Creek Road, just north of the I-485 interchange. The apartments would be spread over 20 acres.

That development is just down the block from another recently approved plan to allow 322 new residences at a development by Spectrum Properties called the Village at Concord

Charlotte City Council approves new townhouses, apartments | Charlotte Observer

Old 05-22-2018, 03:40 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I also hate this treatment to the deck's exterior.

Overall, hey are trying to break up monolithic quality of the entire complex, which is good...

But the deck could be clad in so many cool screens and other modern treatments, many probably less expensive.

But Stucco or EIFS on a parking deck? Never.

Also the classic crown molding shape (which is actually Styrofoam) is an insult to the people of Greensboro.

It comes off as a half-a*s attempt at implementing a classical aesthetic (because that's the only one reference to it on the entire street),

which is like saying, "Oh just add a cornice that looks like crown moulding and the folks will think they're at the Parthenon.

That treatment isn't appropriate for that building type, street scene, or in this time IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina