Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
My favorite residential project in NC. Market 42. It’s one of the best looking residential towers I’ve see

https://www.foundrycommercial.com/co...E_20180518.pdf
The lower portion looks like every apt. project in the last 3-4 years in Atlanta, Charlotte, everywhere.

And it looks like a cheap omplemention with minimal effort.

I like some idea of the tower, but this aesthetic is on the way out and has been way overused.

I like balconies and levels of large horizontal outdoor sitting areas carved into towers in general,

but this looks too busy without any cool repetition or pattern awhihc becomes a hodgepodge, and people will come to not like overused treatment on the exterior, IMHO.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,442,125 times
Making Moves: Why Some Renters Chase Jobs & Others Chase Locations

The ability to move to a new location is an important way workers can take advantage of better job opportunities in different cities. Historically, residential mobility allowed for workers from poorer states to migrate to wealthier states, mitigating differences in income across states. Now, despite the fact that high-paying jobs are clustering in a small subset of cities, moves to a new county remain less common than in prior decades due to high housing costs in these job hubs.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...move-for-jobs/

Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The lower portion looks like every apt. project in the last 3-4 years in Atlanta, Charlotte, everywhere.

I like some idea of the tower, but this aesthetic is on the way out and has been way overused.

I like balconies and levels of large horizontal outdoor sitting areas carved into towers in general,

but this looks too busy without any cool repetition or pattern awhihc becomes a hodgepodge, and people will come to not like overused treatment on the exterior, IMHO.
I agree. The bottom part looks like your run of the mill apartment complex that's been popping up everywhere in urban areas of NC. This just happens to have a tower stuck in the corner.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 AM

Whole Foods Market on Stonewall Street

Picture by KJHburg

Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 AM

New AC Hotel under construction in South Park

The 170-room hotel will be built at the corner of Rexford and Roxborough roads, and will total eight stories. A two-story parking deck will be built behind the hotel, along Rexford Road, adjacent to the existing hotel. The new hotel is planned to be an AC Hotel, a “European-inspired” brand owned by Marriott. Another AC Hotel is under construction atop the EpiCentre.

Read more here: New 170-room SouthPark hotel gets the go-ahead | Charlotte Observer

Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Agreed with the bottom. I wasn’t really talking about it but this tower will come down to personal preference and I love the yellow. I like the V shape so it’ll look bulkier than a typical residential.

I overall like it and the tower will be unique in CLT

Old 05-23-2018, 10:17 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I agree. The bottom part looks like your run of the mill apartment complex that's been popping up everywhere in urban areas of NC. This just happens to have a tower stuck in the corner.
People here are probably more excited about its location rather than its look. It has been noted that this project's location near the light rail as well as its underdeveloped North Tryon neighborhood makes this a very transformative project. This project gives the 9th street light rail station 549 apartment units (within an extremely short walk). That's a huge win for the city and transit planners. The 20,000 sq/ft of ground retail space is a win for uptown pedestrians.

Though it looks like every other midrise in central Charlotte, the tower gives it the proper density you'd expect from an uptown address. It is cheap looking, that's for sure. However, this project could deliver uptown some much-needed affordable density.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:19 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...mpression=true

200 jobs coming to Durham with annual payroll expected to exceed $20m

Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM

A Charlotte developer has kicked off work on another luxury apartment development coming to SouthPark, one of the city's fastest-growing neighborhoods.
Apex SouthPark will add some height at the corner of Morrison Boulevard and Sharon Road with a pair of 12-story buildings that will replace the well-known "ski slope church," formerly Sharon United Methodist. Developer Childress Klein, along with Denver-based private equity partner Ascentris, paid $15 million for the 5.5-acre site across from SouthPark mall in a deal that closed last week, real estate records show.
The development will include 345 apartments and 88,000 square feet of shops and restaurants in the two main buildings. Plans for the site also include a 175-room hotel with a rooftop restaurant and bar, as well as a six-story parking deck. Rebranded as SouthPark Church, the former Sharon United Methodist congregation is meeting at the nearby Regal Phillips Place movie theater. They'll stay until the new development is complete, when they plan to move into a new space there.

Read more here: Childress Klein, Ascentris start work on SouthPark apartments | Charlotte Observer

Old 05-23-2018, 03:27 PM

808 posts, read 690,994 times
Didn't see this coming.

Ikea not coming to Cary. Swedish company's strategy changing. | News & Observer

Quote:
CARY - In a surprising move, IKEA, the hugely popular Sweden-based furniture company, has decided not to open a store in Cary, The News & Observer learned Wednesday.

The decision comes as a major blow to town officials, who had made many design concessions to fit the distinct blue and yellow building that is familiar on IKEA stores throughout the world

With only one other store in North Carolina, in Charlotte, the expansion to the Triangle was anxiously awaited. Hundreds of people turned out for an open house hosted by the company last July. IKEA is the world's largest furniture retailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina