Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2021, 10:33 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
People also call it Gallery Place
Yeah, that's the yellow line metro stop that goes there. I was a red line person, though, so never called it that.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:06 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Yeah, that's the yellow line metro stop that goes there. I was a red line person, though, so never called it that.
Red Line always went through Gallery Place.

Here is a cool animated map through the years https://i.imgur.com/VOLrYKH.gif

Old 01-31-2021, 11:26 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Red Line always went through Gallery Place.

Here is a cool animated map through the years https://i.imgur.com/VOLrYKH.gif
You're right! It was a red/yellow line. I came from Bethesda and got off at Metro Center (worked at 1001 Penn) one stop before Gallery Place. It's been awhile. Rode the red line every weekday for 9 years, you'd think I'd remember the whole route. I was actually thinking Navy Memorial stop when he said Gallery Place. My error. In any case, I'm afraid we've gotten totally off topic for an NC board! Very cool map, though!

Old 02-01-2021, 10:35 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
This is a great topic and an interesting conversation because Raleigh has prioritized its convention center and as someone mentioned has museums, theaters, and the parking lot amphitheater downtown, all of which bring people in. If it wants to maximize its potential, the city has to encourage more entertainment options downtown. All of the other cities are doing it for a valid reason. Raleigh is not an exception. A new Arena should be placed downtown. If Raleigh secured a baseball team, it should play downtown. If it secures an MLS team, it should play downtown. The days of building stadiums outside of downtown are pretty much gone, although someone will always come up with some exception. New York/San Francisco are the toughest places to do it because of the land value. That's not an issue in Raleigh NC

Its encouraging to see Fayetteville, Wilmington, High Point, Greensboro, etc...investing in their downtowns with these community projects....and yes it does encourage private sector investment. Greenville has also finally started investing as well as has seen dramatic changes. In their case, just plans of projects are encouraging private investment.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:44 AM

405 posts, read 317,577 times
It is an interesting discussion, and time will tell what happens. As others have mentioned, Raleigh-Wake County should focus its efforts on building a replacement for PNC Arena somewhere downtown. I don’t see this area landing an MLB franchise, and I don’t think that building a minor league baseball stadium is a priority, at all, given the prominence of DBAP. I see much more likelihood and interest in landing an MLS franchise, and a Downtown (South) location might be the best option because of Steve Malik’ s efforts. This is Malik’s ultimate goal.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:22 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Renderings for 110 East Tower released for the Q2 ground breaking in South End of Charlotte.. 23 stories and 370,000 square feet. Location is on surface parking behind Grace Covenant Church up against the East / West Light Rail Station. Should be similar in height to the Lowe's Technology Center Tower being built on the other side of the station.

Last edited by CLT4; 02-01-2021 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-01-2021, 02:12 PM

405 posts, read 317,577 times
Per the TBJ today:

On Tuesday, the council will hear from the public on the 40-story rezoning proposed for the redevelopment of the historic Creamery property in Glenwood South as well as a 20-story rezoning proposed for the corner of W. South and S. Dawson streets, among others.

The Creamery

Last summer, New York-based Turnbridge Equities filed a rezoning request for a collection of properties at 400 and 410 Glenwood Ave after buying the parcels for $34.7 million. The properties include the city’s historic Creamery building, which dates back to the 1920s.

At the time, Turnbridge Equities partner Jason Davis said the company is hoping to bring a pair of mixed use towers to the site, both under 40 stories, and that the company is committed to preserving the Creamery building. Raleigh code currently only allows rezoning requests for high rise projects up to 20 stories or up to 40 stories, meaning anything in between requires a 40-story approval.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:19 PM

459 posts, read 373,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Renderings for 110 East Tower released for the Q2 ground breaking in South End of Charlotte.. 23 stories and 370,000 square feet. Location is on surface parking behind Grace Covenant Church up against the East / West Light Rail Station. Should be similar in height to the Lowe's Technology Center Tower being built on the other side of the station.

All these mid-rise towers are all starting to take the same shape. Including that weird cutout amenity space thingy in the middle and the recessed ground floor.

Newly rendered 'The Edge' in downtown Raleigh, 23 stories.

Attached Thumbnails
North Carolina development thread.-image-2.png  

Old 02-01-2021, 03:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
All these mid-rise towers are all starting to take the same shape. Including that weird cutout amenity space thingy in the middle and the recessed ground floor.

Newly rendered 'The Edge' in downtown Raleigh, 23 stories.
Same folks passing around the same designs among each other for the new version of "modern."

Old 02-01-2021, 05:51 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post

Wow that's pretty sharp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina