Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 04:45 PM

405 posts, read 317,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
What was the point of this?
My point was that simply building a baseball stadium will not guarantee development. In Durham's case it did because of Jim Goodman owning the team and he was also willing to pump millions of dollars in development around the new stadium. Still, the biggest driver there is Duke University being a huge part of the economy as well as the proximity to RTP.

Winston-Salem has had less success with their efforts because the circumstances are completely different. It’s a beautiful stadium but they’ve struggled to get development around it.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:07 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
My point was that simply building a baseball stadium will not guarantee development. In Durham's case it did because of Jim Goodman owning the team and he was also willing to pump millions of dollars in development around the new stadium. Still, the biggest driver there is Duke University being a huge part of the economy as well as the proximity to RTP.

Winston-Salem has had less success with their efforts because the circumstances are completely different. It’s a beautiful stadium but they’ve struggled to get development around it.
The problem with W-S's stadium is location, it's a bit removed from the center city core. It should've been integrated into the downtown infrastructure.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:00 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
The problem with W-S's stadium is location, it's a bit removed from the center city core. It should've been integrated into the downtown infrastructure.
I would have preferred it being built in the Innovation Quarter in the heart of downtown. The retro style stadium would have fitted in great with the historic tobacco warehouses. It could have been the entertainment anchor for the Innovation Quarter. It also would have been quite a view from Hwy 52 seeing the ballpark with the Winston-Salem skyline as the backdrop much like passing by Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte on I-77 with the skyline in the background. Ironically this part of downtown was selected for a soccer stadium some years back when Winston-Salem was trying to lure Major League Soccer. The Innovation Quarter is such an authentic environment for a ballpark. Not sure why its was built on the far western edge which doesn't feel like downtown. Its more of a residential neighborhood setting. I guess technically its considered downtown but its far removed from the urban street grid of downtown. Development is also limited to the parking lot area. There are residential houses to the west.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-27-2021 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-27-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:

There were huge plans with two hotels, over 500 apartments, lots of retail, grocery store and office.. Unfortunately an out of state developer backed out. Personally I think it will take more of a local effort from developers in the Triad who have a stake in downtown. I have no doubt that we will see great development around Winston-Salem's ballpark. Winston-Salem needs a Roy Carroll to step forward. Someone who loves the city and not someone coming to town to make a quick buck.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-27-2021 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-27-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You're calling out other cities on parking lots at their stadiums while I see parking lots adjacent to Greensboro's in the photo you posted?

Regarding baseball in DT Raleigh, there's a passionate group of citizens who are pushing for this, but I am not sure how successful they will be. While there is a soccer stadium planned for the giant Downtown South project in Raleigh, it's not proving actually necessary to drive investment downtown. There's already plenty going on among the city's downtown districts, with even more in the hopper for the future.
Soccer is not the way to go considering Charlotte was awarded Major League Soccer. Raleigh could bypass territorial issues with the Durham Bulls if it joins an independent league. High Point had to do that because its so close to Greensboro. But one thing I don't understand is how Kannapolis can have a baseball team with its close proximity to Charlotte which also has a AAA baseball team. The two stadiums are about the same distance between downtown Durham and downtown Raleigh. Outside of baseball, Raleigh's only hope for a downtown sports venue is an arena. Eventually the PNC Arena will be outdated and as long as they don't keep renovating it like Greensboro has done with the Greensboro Coliseum, there would be reason to build a new arena for the Canes downtown. The Charlotte Coliseum was barely 20 years old before it was time to build a new arena downtown.

But some folks in Raleigh want Major League Baseball which would lead to the demise of the Durham Bulls. Hard to see the Bulls surviving with a Major League team in Raleigh.

https://mlbraleigh.com/

But I believe a stadium would definitely lead to more development in downtown Raleigh particularly near the stadium.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-27-2021 at 06:42 PM..

Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 PM

405 posts, read 317,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There were huge plans with two hotels, over 500 apartments, lots of retail, grocery store and office.. Unfortunately an out of state developer backed out. Personally I think it will take more of a local effort from developers in the Triad who have a stake in downtown. I have no doubt that we will see great development around Winston-Salem's ballpark. Winston-Salem needs a Roy Carroll to step forward. Someone who loves the city and not someone coming to town to make a quick buck.
Agreed.

If I recall correctly, High Point has had one or two local developers step up and build projects near their new stadium. Probably wouldn’t have happened as quickly (if at all) had they waited on out of state developers.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:

Correct.
"This" happened, and "That" happened is not necessarily a correlation.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:53 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Wilmington based NCino is planning on doubling its office space in Mayfaire with another 90K square foot building.

In addition they are going to build a 5 story (640 space) parking deck next to their corporate offices.

New office building planned at nCino HQ | WilmingtonBiz

Old 01-29-2021, 01:53 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Development shaping up around the metro city ballparks. Raleigh needs to find a loop hole in the Durham Bulls territorial rights so they can have a downtown ballpark. Come on Charlotte and Winston, fill up those parking lots around the stadium.
We don’t need a baseball ballpark downtown. We have a pro team in need of a better situation. What either should build them something downtown, or do a better job working on the Blue Ridge corridor.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:13 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Legends property in Downtown Raleigh will seek 40-story rezoning. No project in the pipeline. I'm guessing they're looking for prospective offers.
Perhaps a big dance floor is planned on the top floor or roof.

I've never like the existing one at Legends. It's rather small and it's elevated from the main floor so it's hard to let go and enjoy yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina