Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 08:23 AM

174 posts, read 403,693 times

Advertisements

The worst thing about North Carolina is the New York property taxes.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Worse thing is no law and order to prevent our entire state from being a haven for illegal aliens and the crooks that hire them and the very high unemployment . Its 15% in some places but people still pour in like its "The land of OZ" where a wizard will give them a job or free handouts..lol

Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 AM

5 posts, read 12,855 times
Thumbs up Worst/Best of North Carolina

I am one who thinks that people on an individual level will be able to find both the positive and negatives of any place they choose to live or visit. To me on a personal level, I find that NC does not compare to other places as I was born and raised here.

My experiences as a child were very unpleasant, but not because of anything having to do with the state itself, but because of my living situation, abuse was horrific and that was family, but as far as the state itself, it's beautiful, friendly and very loving. NC tolerates things that other states consider to be taboo. The Southern Hospitality is tremendous and always welcomes guests and newcomers with open arms. As long as one follows the laws of the land, state, city & county then you will have nothing to be ashamed about when telling people that you live in North Carolina, or for that matter any other place in the world.

If you dig deep enough, you will be able to find the skeletons or negatives that you looking for, but if you always keep an open mind, open heart and positive attitude, you will see more positives than negatives.

We can all look at the various statistics that are reported, but it depends upon you as an individual as to what you gain from them. There is NOT one place in the world that is untouched by crime, poverty or negatives, but we as a society need to teach ourselves to weed out the negatives and focus on the positive aspects and then and only then will people become aware of the beauty and be thankful for this state as a whole.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:38 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
In North Carolina we are not brought up to look for the worst things in the state. Everybody can find something to complain about, but I used to have a boss that had a solution for that. If you think something should be done about something, then maybe you should be the person to do it. So I guess the worst part I see in the state, besides the bad drivers moving here are the people who move here and are unhappy, so they start complaining about everything. But they want somebody else to do something about it. We tend to mind our own business, so that goes over like a lead balloon.

If you are asking if the state is changing because of the transplants, my answer would be yes. We just had several areas in our county to vote for "liquor by the drink." I expect to see more deaths on the highway resulting from drunk drivers.

Some areas are experiencing "gangs" and what looks to me like it might be organized crime. I don't know if this is new all over the United States, but that used to be unheard of in our state. We used to leave our doors unlocked during the day. I would not dare do that now. Crime is definitely a problem. Luckily our governor recognizes that and I think it is being worked on.

Very worst problem though is fire ants. Those things are little devils. I don't know which is worse, the ants or what you have to use to get rid of them.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,036 times
Corporal punishment? Really? I thought that was against the law in all states. My stepdaughter teaches in Onslow County. I'll have to ask her about that. How extreme can things get?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:44 AM

15 posts, read 30,170 times
For me the worst thing would be the high unemployment. It seems like it pretty much impossible to find a job right now, especially one that pays above minimum wage.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,547 times
Ive lived in N.C. all my life till last year when I moved to North Ga. Ive lived in Canton, Asheville, Marion,Thomasville,Wilson, and Ocracoke.Asheville for me was the best. I have alot of memories there, playing baseball, playing war in the woods with my friends, bicycling to the local pool. Going to a great school, A.C Reynolds High. Its the most beautiful place in the world, including the people. But in recent years it got to be too much and I moved. For me the N.C. government just seems too corrupt. They tax you to death and then they complain they have no money for anything. So for me it would be taxes and corruption.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:24 PM

82 posts, read 295,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromthemountain00 View Post
Ive lived in N.C. all my life till last year when I moved to North Ga. Ive lived in Canton, Asheville, Marion,Thomasville,Wilson, and Ocracoke.Asheville for me was the best. I have alot of memories there, playing baseball, playing war in the woods with my friends, bicycling to the local pool. Going to a great school, A.C Reynolds High. Its the most beautiful place in the world, including the people. But in recent years it got to be too much and I moved. For me the N.C. government just seems too corrupt. They tax you to death and then they complain they have no money for anything. So for me it would be taxes and corruption.

We have had democratic governors for a few years now. No surprise on the spending and taxes!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 PM

208 posts, read 633,494 times
The sometimes extremely hot summer days.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
The worst thing about NC? Lemme think.... well, now that we are on standard time, it gets dark too early!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina