Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 PM

35 posts, read 85,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
How do you explain hate crimes in California or New York? The reality is that the cultural and political spectrum exists across this country in the behavior of its citizens and local politics. That doesn't mean that there won't be examples as you state above.

The article is clear in how the policies and direction set years ago migrated NC away from the political center of the South over time. And, of course, that center was decidedly to the right of the center of the US. Regarding Jesse Helms, it was easy to see how his power and influenced waned over time. In his last re-election, he barely beat a Black Architect from Charlotte. Now, let's consider that election in parts. First of all, how well do politicians from Charlotte historically do in statewide elections?...not too well by my recollection. Now, consider that he was Black and how that juxtaposes with Jesse's history. Now, consider that he was an architect. That's not the usual path for politics. The writing was on the wall then and Jesse knew it. I think that's why he retired when he did. He knew it was over for him. Otherwise, he would have been there until the day he died.

The policies put in place 50 years ago have grown our cities with NC's own college graduates (instead of losing them to other states as was the case in the first half of the century) and transplants. I remember when NC tipped from being a majority rural state to being a majority urban state. That was not so long ago.

End state is that we are where we are today because NC's statePOLITICS set the course. Its leaders were ahead of the culture of the state but they did in fact lead NC into the future over time. They were visionaries and brilliant in my opinion. NC certainly has examples of bigotry and racism as do almost all other states in the union. But, in the same state with examples you stated in your post above, its citizens kept the Democrats in control of it.

Oh, I think it's interesting that your examples seem to paint a picture of conservatism being equated with bigotry and prejudice. It's a shame that that has to be the collateral for identifying conservatism. Unless that changes in this country, there won't be any more conservatives in the future. Although I am not conservative politically, I see the value that consevative voice brings to the table when you find a way to ignore all the bigotry noise that surrounds them. The unfortunate part is that I can't seem to ignore it....it's just too loud at the moment.
Still KKK in Johnston county and other counties throughout NC just not as active. They are I guess sleeper cells. Those are our very own American home grown terrorists!! Go through Smithfield...you'll see. Don't know if you guys out of NC heard about it but the Sheriff of Johnston County basically called Hispanics and illegals pigs and filthy people. They called for his resignation but of course nothing happened. So we still believe that NC Politicians have paved way for change???!!! Hmmmm,,,,I really wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I have a great job as do most all of my friends. I own a nice home and one on the coast and I have earned every dime that I have. There plenty of great jobs in NC. That is an understatement. With your attitude, I certainly would never give you a job. But again, I would only hire fellow southerners so that strikes you from the list.

See that's part of the problem with these Southern crackers. They are too damn salty!!! UNCLETUPLEO is not only a racist but prejudice against northerners. But see here you also have to watch the southern blacks because they frown upon northern blacks and hispanics. I'm not worried as these boneheads are losing again to the north.

I had issues trying to get hired when up north and sending resumes down south. Then I got slick on the fools and used a southern address with a vonage phone number that had a 919 area code which was forwarded to my northern cell phone number. They'd ask if I could come down the next day for an interview and I would be here next day flying or driving. I'd show up and the look on there face was not only am I northerner but hispanic!!! Holy crapp!! They believe that all hispanics are illegals. Don't even know that Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the US which means that we are Americans. Although I was born and raised in NYC and served 7 yrs in the US Army. I lived in the south before Georgia, Kentucky and Texas. These Pinies don't understand America!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 PM

No offense but that's exactly my point. What are you showing me?? No ethnic diversity restaurants....

Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 PM

206 posts, read 440,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta-NC View Post
See that's part of the problem with these Southern crackers. They are too damn salty!!! UNCLETUPLEO is not only a racist but prejudice against northerners. But see here you also have to watch the southern blacks because they frown upon northern blacks and hispanics. I'm not worried as these boneheads are losing again to the north.

I had issues trying to get hired when up north and sending resumes down south. Then I got slick on the fools and used a southern address with a vonage phone number that had a 919 area code which was forwarded to my northern cell phone number. They'd ask if I could come down the next day for an interview and I would be here next day flying or driving. I'd show up and the look on there face was not only am I northerner but hispanic!!! Holy crapp!! They believe that all hispanics are illegals. Don't even know that Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the US which means that we are Americans. Although I was born and raised in NYC and served 7 yrs in the US Army. I lived in the south before Georgia, Kentucky and Texas. These Pinies don't understand America!!!
Some of us don't like being called crackers, no matter where we are located.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
Some of us don't like being called crackers, no matter where we are located.

Really?? Wow...didn't know. I grew up with white boys who called each other crackers or biscuit.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:17 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Now concerning the first video(you posted). It is in the early evening and you are looking at the office/ government area of Detroit. People have already left work to go home and are probably home getting ready to go out. Who would be there at that time anyway?
The First video was more DEAD than X-mas morning in Charlotte. I am being serious. NO EXCUSES!!!
Quote:
The second video of NC is at 11:30 at night, when most people are out for the evening celebrating.
I'll give you that one, but Uptown Charlotte has events throughout the day too. The day time was not dead like Detroit.

Quote:
The third video, well, we have them too. Big deal.
You mean that pathetic little "people mover" downtown. Don't make me laugh. A city Detroit's size should have subways. To my knowledge, the city used to have subways, but got rid of them. The "people mover" is the only rail transit left in Detroit. It is NOTHING like the LYNX in Charlotte. Nice try!!!
Quote:
If it were not for outsiders looking to develop this state it would still be only an agricultural state. But because of large corporations seeking tax breaks this place is going to over devleop. It will be over congested but I don't think it will still have nice places to party and visit like florida. Heck it doesn't even have an amusement park. The best they can do is the crappy annual NC state fair which is all about animal judging.
OK, time out! How much of "NC" have you seen?

Outsiders did not build this city. The outsiders simply work in the office towers that locals built.

photo courtesy of cinsy

Outsiders did not build this city's amusement park either.

photos courtesy of flickr

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 07-12-2009 at 03:42 AM..

Old 07-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Really?? Wow...didn't know. I grew up with white boys who called each other crackers or biscuit.
White people may say this to each other, like some black people call each other the "N" word, but if you are another race calling them the "N" word, will get you more trouble than you bargained for. Give it a try sometime, Holmes.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The First video was more DEAD than X-mas morning in Charlotte. I am being serious. NO EXCUSES!!!

I'll give you that one, but Uptown Charlotte has events throughout the day too. The day time was not dead like Detroit.

You mean that pathetic little "people mover" downtown. Don't make me laugh. A city Detroit's size should have subways. To my knowledge, the city used to have subways, but got rid of them. The "people mover" is the only rail transit left in Detroit. It is NOTHING like the LYNX in Charlotte. Nice try!!!

OK, time out! How much of "NC" have you seen?

Outsiders did not build this city. The outsiders simply work in the office towers that locals built.

photo courtesy of cinsy

Outsiders did not build this city's amusement park either.

photos courtesy of flickr
Like I said before, that video, which was shot in the office/some government offices area, was after people had already left work and gone home.

Most of us, don't hibernate in the Winter. Even though 1st picture, around X-mas time, doesn't show that many people, the place is usually packed.

Campus Martius Park (http://www.campusmartiuspark.org/amen_icerink.htm - broken link)

:: Detroit's Winter Blast ::

There's also ice sculpturing shows, snow skiing(downhill and cross-country), snowboarding, snowmobiling, ice fishing, etc.. that goes on here during the Winter months. Not to mention this is Hockey Town. I know it isn't a Southern thing, but we have many fans of it up here. The Detroit Lions? Well, they did have a perfect record this past season. 0-18 Even we make fun of them, but people here still go and support them nonetheless.

You can also cross the bridge or take the underground tunnel to Windsor(CA), which is only about 2500 feet across the river from us. A lot of younger people do frequently go there because the drinking age is 19, as opposed to 21 here in Michigan.

The 3rd video from before looked like it was a city bus or shuttle bus to transport people around from bar-to-bar on New Years. If it was something else, I apologize.

The "people mover" is used to transport people to downtown from other farther away parking areas. That's why it was built in the first place. Most parking garages and parking lots downtown fill up quickly.
A friend of mine works in the same building that GM HQ(on Detroit River) is located in and has to park elsewhere and hop on it to get to work.

What I also stated before was that I had never been to NC, but hope to visit someday. Have you ever been here and if so, where did you go, besides the hood or the projects? Maybe Southwest Detroit aka Mexican Town? Oh, I forgot you are PR and you guys don't hang.

I don't believe that we ever had subways, but we did have a trolley system as most cities did back then.

We used to have an amusement park that we went to(now closed, because some developer decided he could make a quick buck by building condos on it), called Bob-lo island. It was there for many years. Canada owned it. I lived in the suburbs and we would take an early train ride downtown and then get on one of the big open-aired boats that took you there. It closed sometime during the 80's.

We also have an amusement park, although never been there located on other side of state.

Michigan's Adventure Amusement Park

Us Michiganders on this side of the state, usually go to a place in Sandusky, Ohio(located on Lake Erie), called "Cedar Point." I know, not in Michigan, but only about 3 hours away from Detroit. Been there hundreds of times. Most of the cars you see in parking lot have Michigan tags.

Cedar Point Amusement Park, The Roller Coaster Capital of the World!

I believe that park holds the record for most roller coasters in the country and maybe the world.

Roller Coasters, All the Rides, Cedar Point

YouTube - CedarPointVideos's Channel

There's a lot more to Michigan than Detroit, like the Western side of the state and up North.

This a NC thread, so I'll stop and end it here.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,345,040 times
You said:

Quote:
Food choices are not many if you talk about variety and diversity. Pretty much all typical American style Fridays or Applebees type restaurants where you can close your eyes and order from the menu. Not a lot of good southern style restaurants in the Raleigh/Durham area as many have sold out.
Did you see all the local southern restaurants on there?!?!?! A lot of the places use local organic food. There is a lot of variety in the food and the area has some of the best top chefs in the country.

I sent you the link to prove to you it's not just chain restaurants. That link provides only a few of the great restaurants located in Durham and Chapel Hill which are a small city and town.

You want ethnic food? Here are some in the area, not including Raleigh or Chapel Hill. Some chains are included, but the overwhelming majority are local restaurants that do well.

Indian
durham,nc indian restaurants - Google Maps

Mexican
durham,nc mexican restaurants - Google Maps

Cuban
durham,nc cuban restaurants - Google Maps

Chinese
durham,nc chinese restaurants - Google Maps

Japanese
durham,nc japanese restaurants - Google Maps

Irish
durham,nc irish restaurants - Google Maps

Italian
durham,nc italian restaurants - Google Maps

African
durham african restaurants - Google Maps

Greek
durham,nc greek restaurants - Google Maps

Also in the area are German, Korean, and Ethiopian restaurants as well as Polish markets, and much much more.

The Triangle, Triad, Charlotte, Asheville, Wilmington, and much of NC has great local southern and ethnic restaurants!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:41 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Peacechild

Stop wasting your time. I used to be an over the road trucker. I also used to live near Columbus, Ohio. I am familiar with Detroit, Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, and just about every other town in the snow belt. You are trying to educate someone who has seen and lived in your general area. I am sorry to say, but I was NEVER impressed with Detroit. It is a city that has lost EVERYTHING to its own suburbs and you know it. Most of Detroit looks and feels like the Beattes Ford Road area of Charlotte. There are also many areas of Detroit that look like Charlotte's 36th Street and Parkwood areas. These are some of Charlotte's worst hoods. The one thing I hated the most about Detroit was the fact you can not make a left turn at major intersections. To make a left, you have to go past your turn (one block), wait for a light to change, and hang a u-turn. Then you have to make a right at your street. This was the dumbest design I have ever seen!!! And that's saying a lot because I have seen the entire Nation.

BTW, Cedar Point is more of Cleveland and Toledo's park than it is Detroit's. Where I used to live, Kings Island near Cincy was closer.

And here is a photo of the LYNX train. Trust me, it is not a downtown people mover. LOL

photo by James Willamor

The only thing I will say is that Detroit is more urban than ANYTHING down South. However, I would highly suggest you make a trip to some of the larger southern cities before you attempt to defend Detroit against them. Atlanta pretty much blows Detroit away when it comes to parties and such. Seriously!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 07-12-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina