Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2006, 04:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times

Advertisements

I've got 4 kids...no corporal punishment in any of their schools...although sometimes I may be for it!!! Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 20,062 times
Default Corporal Punishment? Arrogant Yankees?

As Dad to 4 kids, the oldest of which is 21, I can say that none of them have ever been physically punished by a school employee. Not sure if the original poster understands what "corporal punishment" is. Unless it's some remote corner of the state away from public scrutiny,

As for the poster who ridiculed Wake County schools regarding his "problem child...who should be put on Ritalin", I can feel for you, but totally disagree.
As the parent of an autistic son, this area is known, not just locally, but worldwide, with the programs in place for special needs children. After doing their research on it as parents of an autistic child as well, our neighbors moved here from England for this reason alone. Had they stayed in England, he would have been relegated to a state "home". Our son, and us, have been the beneficiary of a school system that has made concerted efforts to address the outbreak of autism that has occurred in this country, with stellar results.

Arrogant Yankees? Hmmm.
I'm NC born and bred and I've met arrogant Yankees.
And shy ones, and funny ones, and rude ones, and courteous ones.
Some to the point they'd give you the shirt off their back.
And some who would tell you to toss off after you'd paid off their mortgage.
My experience? Due to this area's explosive growth, we've met people from all areas of the country and there are just as many "dumb rednecks" up North as there are "loud, obnoxious boors" in the South. And there are a lot more nice, kind-hearted people that outnumber those in both regions. My youngest son was tutored by our next door neighbor from being marginally literate to excelling in school. Without compensation.
She is a retired teacher from New York City.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Just curious, what do NC residents think is the #1 negative of living in their beautiful state? I'd love to hear some opinions!
The worst I would have to say is how our political leaders have lost to greed and now are raiding our road construction trust funds eliminating the resources to keep the roads up to par and allowing certain counties to receive more money than others in road repairs (eastern nc counties have the nicest roads over the metro areas).

I hate seeing some of the cute little towns have become places time has forgot but the detoriation has not. (Lexington, Thomasville, Rockingham, High Point Plymouth are examples)

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 PM

749 posts, read 1,317,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The worst I would have to say is how our political leaders have lost to greed and now are raiding our road construction trust funds eliminating the resources to keep the roads up to par and allowing certain counties to receive more money than others in road repairs (eastern nc counties have the nicest roads over the metro areas).

I hate seeing some of the cute little towns have become places time has forgot but the detoriation has not. (Lexington, Thomasville, Rockingham, High Point Plymouth are examples)
I agree. Some of the roads in NC are awful and it seems like the NCDOT is oblivious to all the growth.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:08 PM

573 posts, read 2,443,701 times
Default huh?

I was just reading thru this thread and totally don't understand this post. NC has 4 real seasons doesn't it? Is this poster referring to FL weather, cuz that's what is sounds like to me....very confusing. We were up in NC in April (Spring) and it was around 65-70, seemed springlike to us! :::still confused:::
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Having lived here my entire life, the weather is indeed the worst. We have only two seasons here, Summer and Winter. I suppose you could call the 1-2 week transition in between the two "Spring & Fall", but I certainly don't.

This year was an anomaly in that we actually had a good month of 70 degree weather in April/May. Last "fall" [mod edit]"wasn't nice"[/mod] because it was in the low 80s up to Thanksgiving day. I have photos from the first week of December with our trees leaves as green as they were in the middle of summer. 40-50 degree changes in temperature within 24 hours (or even in the same day) is not uncommon. I remember once when I was in middle school, we got out of school due to 2 inches of snow being on the ground at 6am. By 10:30am that day, it was 75 out, and we were laughing it up about how we had such a beautiful day off of school.

Not to mention all the humidity in the summer...ugh.

Of course, as I type this, it's 71 degrees out here in the middle of July. Nicest day temperature-wise that we've had in months.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
yeah we have four seasons

winter a winter example is it sets you in mood for christmas then by christmas it is 75 degrees lol then back in the 40's the next day and then we will get the 24 hour ice storm comes in makes things pretty knocks out power so you wish for summmer and use to eating out but nothing is open

spring was probably great for people who grew up here in the 60's and they took LSD starts with the tulips blooming then the bradford pears beautiful white blooms then followed by the dogwoods the white ones first then the red ones around easter same time the azaleas and and Iris once they start to fall everything turns yellow patio car and your nose nostrils as you are in a sneezing frenzy due to the pollen.
Spring is always a teaser you think it safe to pack away long sleeves nice mid 70's weather then once you got a weekend function planned a noreaster comes in with 30 degree temp just to mess with you.

summer starts off nice good tanning weather for those who still do that thing.
Then it time to fry a egg on the pavement and find a store that has temperature on meat locker temperature nothing says summer then spending it in the mall lolll
Im kidding there plenty of outdoor things to do to cool off and if you are really hot head up to sliding rock one trip down this and you will be so traumatized and set in hypothermia you will forget it is hot.

Fall is another teaser season it seems to take awhile to start sometimes around halloween you can wear your costume comfortablly then sometimes it melting to you due to the heat or it buried under your winter gear.
The leaves look great and they turn gradually across the state but they dont stay there long and you hate them by november with all the raking.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
NC has 4 real seasons doesn't it?
Kind of, but it depends on the location as to how long each season is. The state is around 600 miles wide and ranges from sea level to 6,684 feet. In all seasons of the year, the average temperature varies more than 20 degrees Fahrenheit (° F) from the lower coast to the highest elevations.

Climate of North Carolina
http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm...Clim_NC_01.pdf

Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,986 times
Default Hoa

Get a bad HOA, and you will want out fast. Some people simply have nothing better to do other than "police" others.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM

275 posts, read 1,115,024 times
My least favorite thing, the cold. I know, many of you like the winter...not me. After living in CA all my life, I guess I have thin blood. I just about had it this last February....but it finally warmed up. I guess I will get used to it.

But I love the heat!!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:47 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Just curious, what do NC residents think is the #1 negative of living in their beautiful state? I'd love to hear some opinions!
1. traffic
2. trash everywhere
3. taxes
4. dirty air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina