Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times

Advertisements

Worst thing? grown too much in the past 10 years........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 AM

174 posts, read 570,471 times
Ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks and copperheads.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:23 PM

635 posts, read 3,093,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchseavey View Post
Ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks, ticks and copperheads.

I have lived here 3 years, and not a single tick nor copperhead have I encountered and yes we have lots of wooded and stream areas near the house

I'm sure they are there, but we've been pretty blessed that ticks, fleas, and other baddies really haven't seemed to be that bad as they were back in Texas(redbugs!) and Louisiana(everything ).

.... now, mosquitos

Al

Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 PM

191 posts, read 665,947 times
Oh good. Are there a lot of marines there? Where do they live mostly? I plan to move from Ca. to NC soon and I always liked young cute marines. So don't worry the fun will begin soon.............lol

Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
Oh good. Are there a lot of marines there? Where do they live mostly? I plan to move from Ca. to NC soon and I always liked young cute marines. So don't worry the fun will begin soon.............lol

there's bases in Jacksonville and havelock, but they're like bad pennies, they'll turn up everywhere from greenville to wilmington. I'm even bound to run into Marines in raleigh.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I'm moving to North Carolina soon and when I told everyone, I noticed that no one had anything bad to say about the place. It got rave reviews from everyone, which is funny considering it was just kind of "there" for 350 years and now it's suddenly the place to be. Go figure...

I went down for a few days, during my interview and liked it, especially the piedmont and the mountains. The only thing I didn't like.....the traffic in Raleigh. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems the city grew a little too fast and their highway system hasn't quite caught up with it. US 1 and Glenwood Ave. were awful!

Other than that, it's a fantastic looking place and everyone I met was very very nice

Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Raleigh traffic is nothing like Michigan....kind of a cross between Figure 8 and NASCAR...right foot on the floor and and turn left

Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
You are correct when you say that everyone that was not born in Dixie is a Yankee.

Does having your entire patriarchal relatives dating back to 1700s born, lived, and died for Dixie count?

Having 10-30 ancestors serve under General Lee and the confederacy erase that "yankee" stigma?

That would also include a Georgia Cherokee or three...

Dad made a detour to Detroit for the automobile industry and I am just getting around to my home coming...

Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 AM

39 posts, read 107,764 times
worst thing about N.C. in this day and time. no jobs higher taxes and utilities being voted in by Raleigh with no regard to other counties in the state ie far western counties which are mostly rural and mostly retirees trying to survive in these awful economic times. personally we're headed for the same delema California if this keeps on.only thing Californians get to vote against their increases we here in the Tarhill state can't . we have the worst governer ever voted into office. best thing about the state you can see the mountains and all thier beauty while your picking up tins cans along our great roads .

Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
^ Hold on there, zt, it ain't quite that easy. Just having relatives isn't enough...you have to first prove your South-worthiness. You should start by downing huge servings of grits every morning, along with whatever greasy breakfast meat you prefer. You must become one with the grits, to the point that you're able to determine from which stone-ground mill the grits came, and whether the grits are salted well enough just by smell. Once you've mastered grits, you're ready to move on to more complex food groups like cornbread, root vegetables, and the ultimate goal, barbecue!

Then, it's on to driving skills. First you must learn to drive very slowly. Then you'll work on specific skills like coming to a full stop before merging onto an interstate, driving with a dog (or maybe 8-10 kids) in the bed of a pickup truck, and taking your own sweet time when ordering at the drive-thru. And remember--we never, ever drive when there's even a hint of snow in the forecast. Okay, you can drive to the grocery store to buy up huge quantities of bread, milk, and canned soup, but you have to be back home before the snow actually starts falling.

All that, and I haven't even mentioned the speech training yet! Yes, it's long, difficult road, but I think when you can finally slow your life down, relax, and learn to enjoy a Moon Pie with an RC Cola, you'll know it's all been worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina