Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,051,235 times

Advertisements

screw unions. They have really helped the american big three. I am so glad that we are one of the least unionized states in the US. If we were not, then we would not have had most of the business development success that we have had over the last 50 years. I hope to hell that we do not ever become a pro union state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 06:59 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,740,392 times
because in a state full of GROWN ppl making 20,000-30,000 a year, everyone is content, right?
lol. some things will never change.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
because in a state full of GROWN ppl making 20,000-30,000 a year, everyone is content, right?
lol. some things will never change.
eek, I'm totally with you about getting more Unions here in NC! First of all, I can talk from experience on how Unions take care of their workers. My dad retired from a trucking company that had a Union right before Christmas in '02, and he got a nice Union pension, plus he is able to get Social Security on top of that. My dad is so well off, he doesn't ever have to work again for the rest of his life, unless he really wants to get out of the house. A lot of retired people are living on fixed incomes and have to take on a part-time job just to make ends meet. Now you tell me if having more Unions are not worth it? It's about time that we get more Unions in Nort Carolina that will stand up for more employee rights, and put and end to that ridiculous right-to-work or at-will employee law crap, period! And for a lot of people that say that Unions run a lot of companies out of business, I think it's nonsense. First of all, If Unions are the reason for companies going out of business, resulting in high unemployment rates in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, etc., then what's North Carolina's excuse? There isn't a large union presence in North Carolina, and our unemployment rate is as high as those places, so that proves my theory right, it seems.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,847,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
slow change.
lack of unions.
low wages.

either of the three.

*bonus*
lack of sidewalks.
I don't know what slow change is. is that a song? as for unions, are you talking about the same unions that have people flocking to michigan?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM

206 posts, read 440,215 times
If it were not for the unions, there wouldn't be a middle class.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
If it were not for the unions, there wouldn't be a middle class.
You have to be kidding, right?

But it doesn't matter at this point in time. Our present federal administration is gonna see to it that the middle class is destroyed - unions or no unions.

The fact that NC is not union dominated is one of the positives about NC, imho.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,051,235 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You have to be kidding, right?

But it doesn't matter at this point in time. Our present federal administration is gonna see to it that the middle class is destroyed - unions or no unions.

The fact that NC is not union dominated is one of the positives about NC, imho.
You are so right Ani. Just ask our business development folks if being heavily unionized would help or hurt us. We are one of the lowest unionized states in the US. And we have had some of the most rapid growth in business and population since 1960. Unions would be one more step towards making NC gross and tacky like much of Yankeeland is. I hate unions. They are the opposite of Robinhood.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
You are so right Ani. Just ask our business development folks if being heavily unionized would help or hurt us. We are one of the lowest unionized states in the US. And we have had some of the most rapid growth in business and population since 1960. Unions would be one more step towards making NC gross and tacky like much of Yankeeland is. I hate unions. They are the opposite of Robinhood.
Is Yankeeland the same as Disneyland? Sorry, I needed a big laugh today!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by anifani821
You have to be kidding, right? Maybe I should have phrased it: If it wasn't for the unions in the first place(from years ago, up til present time) there would be no middle class. Unions have been around for many years. Not all people in the North love the unions. Some of us despise them as well.

But it doesn't matter at this point in time. Our present federal administration is gonna see to it that the middle class is destroyed - unions or no unions. I see we agree on this.

The fact that NC is not union dominated is one of the positives about NC, imho. You're entitled to your own opinion. I for one, have ever been in a union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
You are so right Ani. Just ask our business development folks if being heavily unionized would help or hurt us. We are one of the lowest unionized states in the US. And we have had some of the most rapid growth in business and population since 1960. You'd better cross your fingers that it stays that way. Unions would be one more step towards making NC gross and tacky like much of Yankeeland is You obviously have not been to very many places in the North, or else you would realize how stupid that statement is..
I hate unions. They are the opposite of Robinhood.
I have worked in many different jobs in my life and have seen first hand how some of these non-union jobs have been ripped out from underneath people. Had many corporate contract positions also and what the hell goes on there would **** you off.

Unions protect this kind of treatment. Please don't give the "people in unions are lazy and can do anything and not get fired" attitude. That's hogwash. If you are a bad employee that happens to be in a union, they will get rid of you, believe me.

Please do some research before posting next time.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I don't know what slow change is. is that a song? as for unions, are you talking about the same unions that have people flocking to michigan?
I'll take Michigan any day over the South. If Michigan is any indication on how some of the Southern states are going to be soon, then good luck. You are going to need it. We know how to tough out a bad storm. We are used to many recessions. Michigan has been in a recession for 10 years. Us Northerners are thick-skinned.

I don't care if I was the last person standing up here, there is no way you'd get me to move down there. Maybe Canada or Europe, but sure as heck not down South.

No offense, just not my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina