Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM

12,046 posts, read 6,590,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
The worst thing I've noticed in my short time here? You can't really ever been in a grouchy mood, because everyone else is always so friendly.
And kind! totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,658,133 times
Summers are way too hot and too long (last summer was absolutely brutal)
Fire Ants
Kudzu
High crime rate in some areas, even in small towns (I know this is not just in North Carolina)
Small towns that were once nice falling into despair (since the textile mills went to China, etc.)
Small towns that were once nice being "yuppified". Do we really need another coffee shop, Gift Basket place, or antique store?

Okay, I'm done.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 AM

373 posts, read 711,578 times
Its all the people moving here thinking they can get a job...It shows disrespect to the locals already here WHO CANT FIND A JOB....

Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 PM

13 posts, read 32,178 times
Default yankee haters, animal ignorance

There are a TON of haters here. I am a transplant and came here witha friendly mindset and OMG, what was I thinking! They are all about who knows whose grandaddy and if you're not part of that crowd, forget it!

I spent half my life in the north and half in another southern state and trust me, this place is not for what they call yankee's. If a southerner went up north we would never refer to them as anything but a southerner. Here, your labeled before you get a chance to take a breath. And before someone invites me to leave, sure...just give me the money and I'M GONE. The only place that will hire a yankee here is walmart!

And they treat animals like garbage here. Total garbage and don't care to change that either. Absolutely horrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdlv79 View Post
OMG! WHAT AM I GETTING INTO MOVING HERE?! From a population of 750,oo to this? Plus I'm going to around alot of uneducated haterz! Dear God, help me! BTW, HOW ARE THE SALONS THERE?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 8,550 times
The only thing that bothers me about NC is all the yankees moving here, no disrespect for y'all but I would much rather hear a southern accent (God's gift to mankind) than a yankee.... It's hard for me to understand y'all alot. I can spot ya as soon as you open your mouth . but other than that I love everything about NC, the hot humid summers don't bother me (Better for my garden and a good day to go fishing... In my book anyway ), I love how I could go around the corner and find a banjo player... or the whole bluegrass band for that matter... including myself .

Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,456,193 times
Pollen. It cakes on cars/stuff in the spring and makes my allergies go nuts for 3 months.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 AM

75 posts, read 167,545 times
Personally, there isn't a lot I don't like about N.C. Maybe turn signal use and drivers who tailgate? But even that isn't as bad as it is in some other states.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,330 times
I was there for one year after I wrote that... that's all I could take. Garbage. Small minded people in a smal town. I don't think I met one pleasent person. Racist jerks can keep their confederate flag waving, tobacco chewing thoughts to themselves. So glad I'm back in Texas, where we welcome anyone with a big steak and a big smile! <3

Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,983,106 times
Surprised a thread with a title like this hasn't gotten locked.

I'm a quasi-native (moved here as a child, got my eductaion here, worked half my adult life in NC). I don't like the creeping tax rates - I can remember a 4% sales tax and low income taxes. Maybe this plays into the meme of "too many Yankees moved here" expecting government services. I'm pretty seriously considering relocating to a no-income-tax state next year. I've paid NC back more than enough times for my public education.

The fire ants, daylight mosquitos, and flying cockroaches arrived in the past 30 years. I just hope the Burmese pythons stay in Florida. Sheesh.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 08-25-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 08:37 PM

371 posts, read 379,512 times
Geez reading this makes me want to cancel my interview up in Charlotte next week and not even bother considering the job!

-no respect for animals, what is the deal on that, dogs and cats or what, please explain? Dogs running loose?
-Pollen coating the car like a green cake? I have allergy problems here, but not as bad.
-Yankees not welcome, well I am a Yankee, but I lived in Florida for a while, my wife is a a native Floridan, from South Florida but I don't know if that makes her a Southerner? South Florida is in the south but far from the Dukes of Hazzard.
-Can't get a job anywhere if your a Yankee but Wal-Mart?

We have a lot of New Yorkers down my way, they moved here in droves and I am not from New York and understand why most people outside of New York find them loud and obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina