Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 11:51 AM

32,963 posts, read 36,439,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Chances of being a victim of violent crime drop if you know what areas of cities and counties to steer clear of and if you yourself are not engaging in criminal activity. For example, I grew up near Goldsboro and despite it’s accurate reputation of being one of the more violent cities in eastern NC, I’ve never been a victim of a crime during my 14 years of living and commuting there. That’s not to say that it’s impossible for me to be a victim (whether it’s Goldsboro or elsewhere), but using common sense goes a long way. Most of the violent crime in NC tend to be cases where the suspect and victim know each other (gangs beefing with each other, drug deals gone wrong, domestic violence, etc.).

In other words, if moving to NC is something you really want to do, I say go for it.
That's true of many places. I lived in, outside of, the often maligned Fayetteville. My husband and I lived in a nice suburban development, and we had great neighbors. There was very little crime in our area, but we all knew where it was or was going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 02:59 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,726,376 times
The godawful state run liquor stores! If you live in the boonies, good luck buying anything except the basics. Fortunately it's legal to order online from other states and have them ship.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,035,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The godawful state run liquor stores! If you live in the boonies, good luck buying anything except the basics. Fortunately it's legal to order online from other states and have them ship.
The liquor laws gotta be one of the worst things to me for sure lol. As a Michigan native, I REALLY miss having huge selctions of liquor at every grocery store and being able to buy it virtually anytime I want.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:55 AM

8,056 posts, read 10,654,744 times
The summers suck and are way too long. This year it took a hurricane to finally push the oppressive heat and humidity out of here and bring in some cool Fall weather (which is beautiful here, on a positive note).

Old 11-12-2018, 07:49 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,361,722 times
I have to say the gerrymandering, which hopefully will be rectified by the next election, and then after that for me I would say the cold grey days like today. I am a summer person. I know most people aren't though. I would take 90º and sunny and humid over 40º and grey and dreary any day of the week.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:08 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,972,161 times
For me personally:

-The amount of religion in your face (we are atheist).. We knew it was bible belt coming into the move but my god. I've had men I didn't know approach my daughter to recruit her to youth group. I've been told to "get right" with the religion here and find myself a good church. I see shirts that say "stand for MY flag and kneel for MY god or get out of MY country"

-Gun Culture/ Confederate Flags- I see a lot of gun bumper stickers, sweaters, hats etc.

-Over patriotism in your face and threatening (saw a sweater the other day that said "stomp of my flag and I'll stomp on your f*!^ing face"

-State income tax- again knew that coming in but do miss living in a non-taxed state

-Summers are hot as hell and long

-Wish we had more snow. Like the colder winters but can be a bit of a drag if its just always cold but no snow to come with it. Kiddo likes the snow so its always fun for her

-Charlotte has some really high violent crime. I hear nightly of shootings, murders etc.

-Education is something like 49th in the country. I homeschool but its an issue for my sister and one of the reasons shes leaving after moving here last year.

-Traffic but only cause we live near a city. Its a given obviously, but can get pretty bad and a hassle if you have an appt or something

Old 11-13-2018, 09:43 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,285,513 times
They should copy this thread and post in every state forum and allow the voices of delusional reality to appear. I find it amusing, the "moving" away thing for other than sounds reasons like job/career, family and geographical preference. It's pretty much the same....unless you're just too delusional to realize it.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:05 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I have to say the gerrymandering, which hopefully will be rectified by the next election, and then after that for me I would say the cold grey days like today. I am a summer person. I know most people aren't though. I would take 90º and sunny and humid over 40º and grey and dreary any day of the week.
I too hate extended periods of gray skies.

But you have it good in NC compared to the Midwest and Northeast where gray skies are the norm rather than the exception.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
For me personally:

-The amount of religion in your face (we are atheist).. We knew it was bible belt coming into the move but my god. I've had men I didn't know approach my daughter to recruit her to youth group. I've been told to "get right" with the religion here and find myself a good church. I see shirts that say "stand for MY flag and kneel for MY god or get out of MY country"

-Gun Culture/ Confederate Flags- I see a lot of gun bumper stickers, sweaters, hats etc.

-Over patriotism in your face and threatening (saw a sweater the other day that said "stomp of my flag and I'll stomp on your f*!^ing face"

-State income tax- again knew that coming in but do miss living in a non-taxed state

-Summers are hot as hell and long

-Wish we had more snow. Like the colder winters but can be a bit of a drag if its just always cold but no snow to come with it. Kiddo likes the snow so its always fun for her

-Charlotte has some really high violent crime. I hear nightly of shootings, murders etc.

-Education is something like 49th in the country. I homeschool but its an issue for my sister and one of the reasons shes leaving after moving here last year.

-Traffic but only cause we live near a city. Its a given obviously, but can get pretty bad and a hassle if you have an appt or something
As a NC native I can confidently say that the rest of the state is not preoccupied with organized religion like Charlotte or thinks it's appropriate in polite conversation with strangers.

The fanaticism about organized religion and overabundance of churches is particular to Charlotte going way back.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,975,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
As a NC native I can confidently say that the rest of the state is not preoccupied with organized religion like Charlotte or thinks it's appropriate in polite conversation with strangers.

The fanaticism about organized religion and overabundance of churches is particular to Charlotte going way back.
You just love to take jabs at Charlotte every chance you get, don't you? I know there are a lot of churches in Charlotte, but I've never encountered any religious fanatics trying to shove religion down my throat there! I've only had that happen to me in smaller towns like my hometown of Lexington and Kernersville when I lived there! You just have this hatred for Charlotte and you want to get everyone to hate Charlotte as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina