Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Nothing. It is a legal concept, not a moral concept.
So apply that concept to this situation. The kid wants to go to college. His dad is obligated to pay. He is trying to get that obligation enforced. Sounds like he's taking matters into his hands to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,784,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So apply that concept to this situation. The kid wants to go to college. His dad is obligated to pay. He is trying to get that obligation enforced. Sounds like he's taking matters into his hands to me.
The way I see it:

The kid wants to go to college.

The dad is legally obligated to pay.

The kid is morally obligated not to retaliate against his dad.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The kid wants to go to college.

The dad is legally obligated to pay.

The kid is morally obligated not to retaliate against his dad.
No, he isn't. Seeking to enforce a court order isn't retaliation at any rate.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
No, he isn't. Seeking to enforce a court order isn't retaliation at any rate.
Well, I consider it retaliation, but you can re-arrange the language to suit your perspective.

The kid is morally obligated not to harm his dad, regardless of what his dad agreed to do.

If you find it morally acceptable, then by all means, advise him to sue away. I just think that it is definitely the wrong path to be headed down.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Whereas I don't think skipping out on your legal and moral obligation to your children is the right path to be headed down. But hey, I guess we're different like that.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
Quote:
Well, I consider it retaliation, but you can re-arrange the language to suit your perspective.

The kid is morally obligated not to harm his dad, regardless of what his dad agreed to do.

If you find it morally acceptable, then by all means, advise him to sue away. I just think that it is definitely the wrong path to be headed down.

He is not harming his father. He's not going to shoot him or anything, he's enforcing an agreement on paper that is legally binding. How is that harming him?

Hell, I'd take him to court over it and sue him for pain and suffering too and throw in my attorney's fees while I'm at it.

Morally obligated...you must be kidding me? Papa's got a moral obligation here as well then.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Whereas I don't think skipping out on your legal and moral obligation to your children is the right path to be headed down. But hey, I guess we're different like that.
That's a dishonest and underhanded remark, Drover. I never said the kid's dad was doing anything right.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
He is not harming his father. He's not going to shoot him or anything, he's enforcing an agreement on paper that is legally binding. How is that harming him?
In this context I consider it harmful to file legal action against another person.

Quote:
Morally obligated...you must be kidding me? Papa's got a moral obligation here as well then.
Sure, Papa skipped out on both his legal and moral obligations. But that was never the issue. The issue is how the kid should deal with his father's poor decisions.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
That's a dishonest and underhanded remark, Drover. I never said the kid's dad was doing anything right.
Yet you're taking up with him, so I hope you can understand my confusion.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
Quote:
In this context I consider it harmful to file legal action against another person.

Sure, Papa skipped out on both his legal and moral obligations. But that was never the issue. The issue is how the kid should deal with his father's poor decisions.
The kid should pursue any legal means available to him provided he has all his facts and figures straight with proper legal counsel. Some people only respond to things that way family or not and I speak from some experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships